Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
shockedmustang

Drives: 2008 yaris 3 door hatch
charging issues help please

I have a 2008 3 door hatch im having a weird issue with the charging system. On the way home from a small trip it stopped charging lights went off radio shut down and the heater shut down. But the battery light never came on but I checked it with a dmm and it showed 10 volts. The next day I charged the battery and replaced the alternator. 2 days later it happened again . So I thought the new alternator was defective and replaced it again. same thing just stopped charging on the way home from a short trip. But something different this time I hit a bump and it started charging all of a sudden. So i checked the alternator wires all of them were tight I also checked the battery cables all tight.I even checked the wire that connects the battery to the body next to the battery it was tight also I even ran a ground from the alternator bracket to the battery and a positive cable from the alternator charging post to the battery also . I checked the fusible link on top of the battery they are both intact I'm at a lose as what to check next any idea would be very helpful thanks in advance Joe
shockedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Measure the voltage with the engine running. Everything related to charging lives inside of the alternator (including the voltage regulator). So, if you are not seeing just over 14 volts with the engine running your alternator is not working. Make sure as well that the belt is good. If the belt is slipping the alternator will not get properly driven.

Also, as far as grounds go, check the ground cable connections to the engine block, as the alternator does not have a ground wire - It just uses the block as its ground.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
shockedmustang

Thats where im confused the alternator will charge fine for a bit then just stop charging for no reason and this is the third alternator that im on. The ground I had in question is the one that runs from the motor to the body of the car im wondering if that is bad. But I did run another cable from the alternator's bracket to the batteries ground cause of the question but it still happened.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockedmustang View Post
Thats where im confused the alternator will charge fine for a bit then just stop charging for no reason and this is the third alternator that im on. The ground I had in question is the one that runs from the motor to the body of the car im wondering if that is bad. But I did run another cable from the alternator's bracket to the batteries ground cause of the question but it still happened.
That is very odd that three have behaved the same. The charging system on the Yaris is very simple, so it isn't like there is a feedback loop that is opening.

Another thing to check is where the positive lead from the alternator hits the positive battery terminal. It comes into one of the large connectors on the bottom of it. I have heard of a couple of people having that connector severely corroded.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
shockedmustang

Is it possible the ignition wire to the alt plug is bad and do u know what color the wire in in the plug ? Thanks for ur help
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Is it possible the ignition wire to the alt plug is bad and do u know what color the wire in in the plug ? Thanks for ur help
The green wire is ignition switched power to the voltage regulator within the alternator. The white wire is a constant 12V feed from the battery to the voltage regulator. Those two would be worth checking.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
shockedmustang

Where does the ignition wire that is in the alternator plug to run to inside the car ? maybe to the connectors inside under the drivers dash ?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Where does the ignition wire that is in the alternator plug to run to inside the car ? maybe to the connectors inside under the drivers dash ?
It routes through the under-hood fuse box to the under dash panel.

On the under-hood one it is the green wire in CA1 Pin 1 (The green wire next to the one with the arrow pointing to it):

On the under-dash one it is the green wire in 4B Pin 19:
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
shockedmustang

Wow Thanks man I think we may have solved the issue that connector under the dash was loose so when i would hit a bump it would move giving me the intermintent issue it was loose cause when i did the alarm i unplugged it and must not of got it back in tightly Thanks again for all ur help
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Wow Thanks man I think we may have solved the issue that connector under the dash was loose so when i would hit a bump it would move giving me the intermintent issue it was loose cause when i did the alarm i unplugged it and must not of got it back in tightly Thanks again for all ur help
That's great if that solves it. There is so much that routes through that connector, that it is amazing that you haven't had a bunch of other odd issues with it wiggling.