Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #37
diamy22
BoSs LadY

Drives: pearl black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Although there were a few wacky things with the configuration of the UltraStart, I am really impressed with its range. I park my car in the garage at night, so my primary usage is coming out of stores or coming out of the gym. The Ultrastart has the farthest range on any i've installed (I've used bulldog, CrimeStoppers and Viper ones on past vehicles).

As you shop, the main things to look at are desired range and installation ease. Check the installation documentation (which seems to be available on all of the manufacturer's websites) to be sure that parking light flash is configurable for negative (-), so you don't have to add an additional relay to reverse polarity. Also, if you go with one that is keyless entry as well make sure that the door lock / unlock are also configurable for negative polarity.

Are you planning on self-installing?
Well my boyfriend works at a toyota dealership n he was plannin to self installed it.is it worth doin it urself or should he have it installed? My car doesn't have any power locks or windows nothing .most remote starters come w keyless entry.thanks for replying....
diamy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamy22 View Post
Well my boyfriend works at a toyota dealership n he was plannin to self installed it.is it worth doin it urself or should he have it installed? My car doesn't have any power locks or windows nothing .most remote starters come w keyless entry.thanks for replying....
If you just want remote start and don't want to spend the money for a kit that adds power windows and locks, then the install is really simple. The Bulldog RS82-I is an example of one that is remote start only and is under $50. If your car has the engine immobilizer (which you can tell if it does, if it has the flashing red light on the left side of the dash, visible from outside of the car) then you also need a transponder key bypass module. The Fortin Keybypass-ALL is the one I used and it was about $50.

I documented the install, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I will post it soon, and your boyfriend can take a look and decide if he wants to try it. The Yaris is probably one of the easiest cars to install one on, considering that only three screws need to be removed and all wires are easily accessible.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #39
diamy22
BoSs LadY

Drives: pearl black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you just want remote start and don't want to spend the money for a kit that adds power windows and locks, then the install is really simple. The Bulldog RS82-I is an example of one that is remote start only and is under $50. If your car has the engine immobilizer (which you can tell if it does, if it has the flashing red light on the left side of the dash, visible from outside of the car) then you also need a transponder key bypass module. The Fortin Keybypass-ALL is the one I used and it was about $50.

I documented the install, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I will post it soon, and your boyfriend can take a look and decide if he wants to try it. The Yaris is probably one of the easiest cars to install one on, considering that only three screws need to be removed and all wires are easily accessible.

thats sound very good n very simple wich is what we are looking for. Can u let me know when you post the installed so we can take a look at it.thanks alot for the help......
diamy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #40
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I was just revisiting this post and I see the video is not up yet . Scott, have you noticed anything you don't care for with this unit? I just got my $160 refund from the dealership so I can get me a keyless entry unit now, I don't think I need remote starter (I live in FL and I don't need to warm up my car like up north), is there any remote keyless/alarm system that you guys could recommend? any model in particular? I heard that Viper is pretty good but not sure really which one to pick.

Thanks
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
I was just revisiting this post and I see the video is not up yet . Scott, have you noticed anything you don't care for with this unit? I just got my $160 refund from the dealership so I can get me a keyless entry unit now, I don't think I need remote starter (I live in FL and I don't need to warm up my car like up north), is there any remote keyless/alarm system that you guys could recommend? any model in particular? I heard that Viper is pretty good but not sure really which one to pick.

Thanks
The video portion of the install guide is a bust, as we didn't have enough lighting when we were filming. (Or, maybe I just need to do another one and set up the studio lights.) I will be posting the photo based one soon though.

With the UltraStart brand, the only thing I didn't like was the convoluted configuration. The range blows away anything that I have installed before. As someone mentioned in another thread, any of the DEI brand products (Viper, Hornet, Clifford, Python, etc.) are all excellent.

I actually use my remote start more in the summer than in the winter. It's mighty nice to cool the car down before you get in it.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #42
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Sorry to hear about the video, but pics will help tons. I found the unit you got for around $70 on ebay with free shipping, that's not bad at all, if I buy it for that then I should have enough to buy a Christmas present or two, hehe.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
Sorry to hear about the video, but pics will help tons. I found the unit you got for around $70 on ebay with free shipping, that's not bad at all, if I buy it for that then I should have enough to buy a Christmas present or two, hehe.
Check out Lessco - I bought my Ultrastart PRO 1280-DXR from them for $59. They also carry quite a few other brands, including Viper:

http://www.lesscoelectronics.com/category_s/268.htm
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #44
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Just fixed my tach wire today. Much better, works like a charm, and only took 3 minutes.

Mucho thanks Scott!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #45
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
are the kits the same for remote start/keyless entry if you have auto door locks than if you have manual door locks? i have nothing powered, and would like power locks at least.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #46
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

You have to buy a kit to convert your locks to power. Search, been discussed in depth before, and I believe there was even a DIY on it.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #47
Pitt Yaris

yea, just debating what the best *no failure* kit is out there for under 100 bucks. *auto 4 door locks*
Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #48
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Ummm, stealing? lol
Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #49
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Ummm, stealing? lol
so most *good* power lock kits are over 100 bucks? wish i lived more northeast so i could come to one of these workshops.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #50
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=W02C

That will at least get you power locks. As for keyless entry, add on some more. Do a search, this topic has been covered many times before.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
DIY Keyless Entry install

Found this older post.

Someone mentioned a video. Do you still have the Video?

A keyless Entry with remote start is $80 from Advance Auto. If I had a video to watch I could install it myself.

At least I'm telling myself I could.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
Found this older post.

Someone mentioned a video. Do you still have the Video?

A keyless Entry with remote start is $80 from Advance Auto. If I had a video to watch I could install it myself.

At least I'm telling myself I could.
Back when we did that we did take some video, but it got a bit tedious, so I ended up just putting together a document instead:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24860