Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Exclamation Strange noises from the car, help!

For the last year I have noticed a strange whinning sounds come from the belts of the engine, and when I paid toyota some $430 to do the major 30k service, they told me that was fixed, it was not at all actually.

Now in the last week I have noticed a new sound, and this starts with turning on the blower in the car. I have it pointing to the floor only, so I know the compressor is off, but there is a constant sounds of a fan motor like it is dying/chogging along, getting faster with the faster fan speeds.

I also noticed and confirmed last night when I left it on and started cleaning the snow off the windows, that the same wierd noise is heard from outside even louder.

What in the world could this be? I don't exactly have time to go into Toyota asap, Im doing inventory every night from like 5-5am where I work, and I wont be free till end of the week.

Any comments/questions/suggestions appreciated.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
It could just be your fan belt is wet. Or the tensioner type thing that holds the belt tight.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Had this problem with my last car. The belt will make whining noises when it has little or no grease, or when it needs to be replaced. Check the grip side of the belt and look very closely for cracks, which would indicate a needed replacement. If it's still good, then run down to the nearest auto store and pick up a very small packet of serpentine/drive belt grease for a couple bucks. Use the whole packet and pour the grease in even amounts on each pulley. The whining should die off after you drive a couple miles

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Spray some lubricant on the belt and see if the noise goes away. Like some WD 40. Noise is gone you know its the belt. Just needs to be adjusted or replaced. And btw there is no major service at 30k Its just a oil change.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
If you are also talking about your blower in the cabin , making a noise it is probably due to a leaf been sucked into it , or something like that.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Lafiro

I dont know if it was 30k or 35k, but whatever my dealership has listed is a major service at that milage. I think I did it late around 40k instead. Either way it was too expensive.

Where is this belt you are all talking about? As soon as I turn off the blower, the noise inside/outside the car stops. And vise-versa.

Any pictures please? Its freezing over here for me to take a guess.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Your blower is a direct drive electic motor, no belt, unless you are meanning aircon belt . does the blower make the noise with the aircon off,
but blower motor still running.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Lafiro

Yes, it makes the noise whenever it wants too, mostly when the car is really cold, or has been running for a while, its not a pattern, just does this randonly, but when it starts, it doesnt stop until I go to the car the next time if Im lucky, like last night it made the noise all the way home from work, but just now it did not make any noise.

And I only use the heater with the air blowing at my face/floor or just at the floor. And the A/C is OFF!

So this probably means something is stuck, or the blower is dying?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
1NZYaris1

More than likly something is in the blower, remove panel under steering wheel
and you should see the blower to you right .
Remove inspection panel (where filter is mean't to go ) and check for obstructions.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
More than likly something is in the blower, remove panel under steering wheel
and you should see the blower to you right .
Remove inspection panel (where filter is mean't to go ) and check for obstructions.
I don't know what model Yaris you have, but the blower in my HB is right behind the glove box. Just yank out the whole box, and there it is!
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
1NZYaris1

passengers or drivers side so many of them
Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Passenger side for LHD cars. Bottom glove compartment pops out when you squeeze in the sides.

LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Lafiro

The type of car I have is under my name!! 2007US Sedan. I hear the noise more from the right side, never tried opening the glove compartment while the noise was happening, I wonder if it would get louder.
And also, how do I get inside the blower itself once I get to it? I see something in the picture that looks something like a handle, but I dont know what it is!
I will try this later as its freezing here and Im very sleepy.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
my blower fan makes noise. it's normal.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
it is easy for pine needles and small leaves to get in the housing and once in they make all kinds of noise.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Lafiro

Oh, ok, but its very annoying, I hear it even with the radio on. NEVER did this before, now its constant.

My belts on the other hand also make a wierd noise, and get high pitched when the engine is warm/hot. Toyota told me they fixed that, but they did not since it made the same that same day leaving the lot. I should have left the car again, oh well, had to go to work. Im not always free. Had 2 jobs and school full time. Now its 1 job and school, still doesnt mean I can go in whenever. :(