Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
OIL PAN

Has anybody here replaced the oil pan yet? and if a gasket is required? or just the high temperature sealant? One parts place online specify sealant included if required......whhaaat? called them on the 800 # and the guy did not know either. I might have to call the stealer and pick their brains on this before I order stuff online first.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
there is a member here (CTscott) that knows all things yaris.

if nobody else knows, he does. if it is really bugging you, you may want to send him a PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
esse10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post

if nobody else knows, he does. if it is really bugging you, you may want to send him a PM.
k, thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The lower oil pan traditionally uses sealant only. I can attest to how finicky this bad boy can be. Ensure that you clean off both sides of the surface as best as possible to include using brake parts cleaner, razor baldes, etc. Make sure that it has plenty of time to dry prior to application of the sealant. There is a company or two out there that makes an actual gasket however in my experience it didn't work too well, but mileage may vary. What I found to use is the following. It isn't cheap, but is amazing. Just make sure that you give a curing time of 24 hours and even more if possible.

The Right Stuff

NOTE: I tried the other variants of gasket maker even from them and none matched the ability for a leak free seal than the black metal can shown above.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I used the import(grey) rtv gasket maker and a razor blade for the old stuff...it took all of twenty minutes and hasn't leaked a drop in a few thousand miles. I did let it cure for 24 hours, but almost no shops have that kind of time...most wait an hour or two and send the car on it's way.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:

^ In all actuality Scott can even attest to if anyone has given oil pan gaskets their work and research for this motor it is me.

He was on literally calls with me swearing and carrying on for weeks.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
^ In all actuality Scott can even attest to if anyone has given oil pan gaskets their work and research for this motor it is me.

He was on literally calls with me swearing and carrying on for weeks.
I more meant that if there was someone that knew weird stuff about the yaris, it would be CT. I know there are people here that have specific experience with specific things. I was watching very closely with your turbo build (the first one) and even more closely with your second one. I didn't know you had issues with the oil pan. Maybe I wasn't watching as closely as I thought.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
esse10

good stuff

okay good feedback guys, this is good stuff, thanks. Anybody have the torque value on those oil pan bolts by any chance? I have been looking for a chilton repair manual for the 2009 yaris with no luck does far.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Fel-Pro makes an oil pan gasket that makes the installation more "forgiving". I normally stock them and they are also readily available on the internet.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
okay good feedback guys, this is good stuff, thanks. Anybody have the torque value on those oil pan bolts by any chance? I have been looking for a chilton repair manual for the 2009 yaris with no luck does far.
80 in. lb
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
I more meant that if there was someone that knew weird stuff about the yaris, it would be CT. I know there are people here that have specific experience with specific things. I was watching very closely with your turbo build (the first one) and even more closely with your second one. I didn't know you had issues with the oil pan. Maybe I wasn't watching as closely as I thought.
Oh I was givin Scott more props. My experience with the oil pan installation issues wasn't really noted online. It was too involved and painful, but the short of it is that the engine that I got from NEAP had the upper pan smacked/bent through an impact to the lower oil pan that was on it when it was dropped or hit somehow. Turned into a huge drama that only few know about really just because I preferred to discuss verbally rather than type...was too pissed off at the time. NEAP did eventually come good though and provided me with a replacement upper pan free of charge.

I'm still angry about it tho

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Careful with those pan bolts, one was sheared when I got my car...backed the broken piece out and sheared of another after I put it all back together. Damned muscles ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
esse10

good stuff

thanks guys this helps me out. The only reason i'm changing it out is because some BONE HEAD previous owner of this yaris over-tightened the oil plug. Good thing it's not too expensive online.

@ctscott; 80 inch pounds(6.6 foot pounds) seem pretty low to me, is that from the repair service manual? is that for the gasket setup or just the sealant version of install?

preciate your time folks

julian

Last edited by esse10; 03-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
thanks guys this helps me out. The only reason i'm changing it out is because some BONE HEAD previous owner of this yaris over-tightened the oil plug. Good thing it's not too expensive online.

@ctscott; 80 inch pounds(6.6 foot pounds) seem pretty low to me, is that from the repair service manual? is that for the gasket setup or just the sealant version of install?

preciate your time folks

julian
That's from the service manual, so that is for using the Toyota gasket sealant. It should actually be the same for using a real gasket, as the torque is based on the size and material of the fastener and the material it is going into.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
esse10

torque specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That's from the service manual, so that is for using the Toyota gasket sealant. It should actually be the same for using a real gasket, as the torque is based on the size and material of the fastener and the material it is going into.
k, thanks and sorry for second guessing it's just that going from my past experience and doing the oil pan in other cars I would've thought they would be twice that value, like around 14-16 foot pounds.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
+1 for the right stuff its the best gasket maker on the market. My body kit is actually glued on with it lol.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote