Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Optima red top vs factory battery

So i noticed i was sitting in parking lot with my stereo on for only about 2 minutes and the speakers started to crackle like they were out of power. Started car up and power came back.

Put the battery on a load test and it failed. Fully charged it up and retested it and still failed so looks like my battery is shot. Strange its little over a year old. I think could be cause i have a system and the factory batterys are cheap to begin with. Looking for a good one. I like the look of the red tops but does anyone know the weight comparison. I assume they are slightly heavier than stock but im not sure how much more. Or if they make a smaller version for small cars thats comparible in weight but higher cca.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
Get a d35 yellow top instead, if your system is draining the battery that badly when its off for a couple minutes then.I'd also recommend an isolator with a battery in the back.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Anybody find some decent prices on the Yellow tops ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Really? I'm still on the factory battery and I've had my sub for a couple years now, at least. Then again, may be I don't play my music as loud as you, 14-17 out of 50 (set to a max cut off at 30) is the loudest I usually play my music. But you're running an amp for your sub and for your component speakers, so that's twice as much draw as I have.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I keep saying the stock batteries are crap or at least there's a bad batch of them out there. I replaced mine with a Red Top but I don't know how much it weighs. I don't recall noticing much difference when I put it in. I did have to use the tray insert to raise it up so that the strap down would hold it in place.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
the cheapest new price youll find shipped is probably from first optima batteries for $182.95 shipped, its where I got mine.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/schema_D35.html

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
the cheapest new price youll find shipped is probably from first optima batteries for $182.95 shipped, its where I got mine.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/schema_D35.html
That's where I got my Optima red top (#35) a few years ago for my Celica. They do have about the cheapest prices around.
However, I just checked their site and they have the #35 red top listed for $154.95, shipped.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html#redspecs

Last edited by RedRide; 02-21-2010 at 12:11 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i have a hard time believing there was a bad batch of oem batteries, or that the batteries just suck. It comes down to your listening/driving habbits... My bat is going on 2.5years old, and i've had an amplifier in my car for over a year, granted it's not a big one, but it's still much more of a drain on the system than the car was designed for.

Living in warmer climates doesn't help either, so the closer you are to the equator, the more careful you have to be due to higher temps allowing bats to discharge much quicker.

There has never been a cheap way to get optima batteries (that were brand new).
Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I found cheapest price was Autozone for yellow or red top.....and they are good on the warrenty if you kill it......

first thing though,what size power wire to your amps and how many watts,wires can be an issue as well........size and quality matters......lol
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
I found cheapest price was Autozone for yellow or red top.....and they are good on the warrenty if you kill it......

first thing though,what size power wire to your amps and how many watts,wires can be an issue as well........size and quality matters......lol
I'm not surprised that Autozone has some of the cheapest prices. Both the "Duralast" and the Optima are made by the same company, "Johnsons Controls".
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Actually as far as optimas go i can get them wholesale cause interstate batterys sells them off their truck. Probally what kragens buys them for so whatever they sell them for i should be able to get them for less.

As far as my stereo goes i dont know what type of wattage it puts out. Just know its a mephis audio 4 channel amp. Seems like its geting hot all the time i am constantly hearing the fan go on. That thats most likely since its under the passanger seat so not much ventalation under there.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote