Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Yaris_guy

Drives: 07 Yaris
Altenator Belt Broken After Replaced by Toyota

So on the 8th of Dec my wife took my 07 yaris into the Toyota Dealership I bought it from. There was a loud squeak coming from under the hood, I assumed it was the serpentine belt, but wanted them to check it first. I told my wife that if they say it was the serpentine belt then to come home and I will change it myself. But she went ahead and let them do it anyways, total was $135 with an oil change and after a discount. On the 10th of January the heat turned off and the battery light came on when I was coming home from the store. We left the car in the garage for the week. Today I finally looked under the hood and the alternator belt is gone. I call up the Toyota dealership and they say that it's not safe to drive it to their dealership, that I have to tow it, but they won't pay for the towing. So I'm going to have to pay $200 for towing to get a $25 belt replaced for free. I probably will end up doing it myself, but I just think it sucks that I paid them $135 to do something that I will end up redoing myself. So basically I paid $135 for an oil change and a car wash.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Will the car overheat if I drive it or will it be ok to drive it to the dealership? If I do drive it to the dealership the I mess up the car would Toyota be liable for the damages?
Yaris_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
That sucks big time, when they changed the belt did you check it, bcuz what they probably did was just tighten the alternater and left the belt as is, do the job urself better off that way, and a couple of buck you and the wife can enjoy the night out, good luck
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris_guy View Post
So on the 8th of Dec my wife took my 07 yaris into the Toyota Dealership I bought it from. There was a loud squeak coming from under the hood, I assumed it was the serpentine belt, but wanted them to check it first. I told my wife that if they say it was the serpentine belt then to come home and I will change it myself. But she went ahead and let them do it anyways, total was $135 with an oil change and after a discount. On the 10th of January the heat turned off and the battery light came on when I was coming home from the store. We left the car in the garage for the week. Today I finally looked under the hood and the alternator belt is gone. I call up the Toyota dealership and they say that it's not safe to drive it to their dealership, that I have to tow it, but they won't pay for the towing. So I'm going to have to pay $200 for towing to get a $25 belt replaced for free. I probably will end up doing it myself, but I just think it sucks that I paid them $135 to do something that I will end up redoing myself. So basically I paid $135 for an oil change and a car wash.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Will the car overheat if I drive it or will it be ok to drive it to the dealership? If I do drive it to the dealership the I mess up the car would Toyota be liable for the damages?
Try turning the water pump and AC compressor by hand to see if either is seized. If one is, then that is why the belt snapped. If not, I would raise havoc with the dealer, as they either over-tightened it, left it super loose, or just plain forgot to put it on.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would get an old tire between the bumper of the yaris and my other car and push it there overnight when theres no traffic. They screwed up an owe you a new freaking belt.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
I would take pictures, get a receipt when you go to autozone and buy the belt for 13 dollars, fix it yourself, drive the car down there and tell them to refund the 130 in full - if they say no start yelling in the lobby about how they can't even do a simple belt change on a yaris. Let every customer there know how bad of a job they did until they refund your money.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Yaris_guy

Thanks for all the input. I haven't checked if the ac compressor or alternator is seized but I have a gut feeling that they just over tightened it. I didn't pay much attention to it after they replaced it, I opened the hood once but can't remember clearly. Could the cold weather also effect it? It's been pretty cold where I live. I'll probably give them another call Monday and be more aggressive, see if they change their stance on the situation. If not I have a few days off next week, so I will probably change it myself. I'll keep you guys updated.

Shouldn't they be liable for the towing though? Since it's directly related to a part they replaced.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
You just need to make enough noise to break their will. I would say yes they are responsible in every way, shape and form. Contact your local news if you must, just be sure to rattle as many cages and make as much noise as you can. They will eventually give in.

After that, sit down with your wife and explain to her why it is important for her to follow your recommendations when it comes to having others work on your car.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
they will pay for your towing if u go in there and complain. its not a big deal for them as they must have contracts with local tow companies (toyota road side assistance). my friend had an issue with his altima (nissan) and his car would not run and they gave him the same run around. after he went in yelling ( go on a busy day like saturday) they send a team of mechanics and tools in a van and diagnosed it on his driveway and then made a call and in about 20 mins someone else showed up with a new computer.

they will fix it for free, tow your car and refund your money if you make enough noise. i personally wouldnt pay for shit. if need be contact the person who sold you the car (sales rep) mine always hooks me up
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
I would take pictures, get a receipt when you go to autozone and buy the belt for 13 dollars, fix it yourself, drive the car down there and tell them to refund the 130 in full - if they say no start yelling in the lobby about how they can't even do a simple belt change on a yaris. Let every customer there know how bad of a job they did until they refund your money.
I just took a look at my belt and it now has several little cracks on it. I have 104K miles on the belt. Mostly highway driving. I went to Autozone.com and get different lengths when I try to search for that belt. Other than dealer where is a good place to buy one. Or anybody have a part number I can use
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
slow.yaris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
I just took a look at my belt and it now has several little cracks on it. I have 104K miles on the belt. Mostly highway driving. I went to Autozone.com and get different lengths when I try to search for that belt. Other than dealer where is a good place to buy one. Or anybody have a part number I can use
one is for A/C, one is for no A/C. They'll ask when you get to autozone and give you the right one.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Yaris_guy

So I called Toyota yesterday, I thought I would have to lay the smackdown on them and the phone but I didn't have to. I talked to a different guy this time, told him the situation, and that I shouldn't have to pay for towing. To my amazement he agreed. So he gave me a number to call for towing and the belt will be replaced free of charge. So they towed the car yesterday and earlier my wife got the call to go pick it up. Apparently something was loose from the first time they replaced it.

I dropped my wife off to pick up the car about an hour ago, she called me and said as soon as she pulled out of the dealership the car was squeaking so she took it back for them to check it. I guess we will see what the deal is when she gets home. Overall though I'm glad I didn't lose any money, but kind of weird how they can't seem to get a simple serpentine belt replacement correct.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
slow.yaris
Banned

Quote:
I dropped my wife off to pick up the car about an hour ago, she called me and said as soon as she pulled out of the dealership the car was squeaking so she took it back for them to check it.
Holy crap how many times is it going to take them to change a belt?? Even thought its being handled it sounds like, I would call corporate. And I hope you have someone else working on your brakes.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
I dropped my wife off to pick up the car about an hour ago, she called me and said as soon as she pulled out of the dealership the car was squeaking so she took it back for them to check it. I guess we will see what the deal is when she gets home. Overall though I'm glad I didn't lose any money, but kind of weird how they can't seem to get a simple serpentine belt replacement correct.

WOW...that's brutal. It's good they finally covered their mistake (financially) but that is ridiculous. Raise some hell when you go back in there!