Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
olmrsb

Drives: 2009 Hatch
removed hatch seal

Hello Yaris foaks,

I've lurked here for a decade and found excellent answers to my questions,but now I finally have to post. The seal around my 2009's hatch has become chewed up by the latch, and today the hatch door would not close at all, so I just pulled out the entire seal. That worked: The latch closed and locked, so ok. But now I'm concerned, of course, that without the seal there'll be water leakage. My question to you guys is: how much and how awful will it be? I live in the us-midwest and park outside, so of course wet weather is going happen.

I really do not want to reinstall the seal. (I'm creaky, the car's old, the mechanic's closed, my face mask fogs my glasses, usually I don't whine). Any suggestions for maybe shoring up the inside top of the hatch so it won't leak?

Thanks!
olmrsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'd plan on it leaking every time and park it under some shelter. Mine is coming loose because it sticks after a few days of not being opened, so I should probably replace it soon. Looks like it's ~$120 shipped if you shop around. Shouldn't be too hard to install either, just pull the old one off and push the new one on.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
olmrsb

Drives: 2009 Hatch
Thanks Mr. Cranky, for the bitter truth and especially the price check.
olmrsb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch seal leaks