Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2021, 02:18 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
How to protect paint in areas with extensive peeling clear coat?

Hello,

I am looking for advice as to how to best protect the areas of paint on my Yaris's body that have peeling clear coat. I have attached pictures of the peeling clear coat (and underlying paint) below. As you can see, most of the peeling is on the roof and immediately surrounding areas. The peeling roof area measures 62" x 35" (~5 ft x 3 ft), the other adjacent areas measure about 4 square feet for a total of 19 square feet. The area of peeling clear coat is extensive.

In the future I would like to clear coat these areas myself using the DIY method described here. Or I might use a similar DIY method described here, in which I would spray a coat of paint first before covering with clear coat. Both these methods require good, extensive surface preparation that includes sanding. Unfortunately, I am busy and running out of time: I am getting ready for a new job, the cold rainy windy season is fast approaching, and I do not yet have a garage arranged where I could do the DIY work myself (I live in an apartment).

So until I can come up with a more permanent solution, I want to try to protect the areas of paint with peeling clear coat. In addition, protecting the areas where the clear coat is still intact is a good idea too. I may be driving the car back to Montana from the Pacific Northwest of the US, including during the winter. The winters in Montana tend to be cold, snowy and icy.

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to protect paint until I can do the DIY clear coating myself in say 8-10 months? I am looking for something I can apply in a few hours to a day or two at most.

Would clear Plasti Dip be a good choice? There is a clear Plasti Dip on Amazon link, but some reviewers say it is more matte finish (clear, but dull or frosty)

Would a synthetic wax be a good choice?

Would a ceramic coating type application or wax be a good choice?

Would one method for the areas with peeling clear coat be good and another, second method be good for the areas where the clear coat is still intact?

Any comments from anybody will be welcomed.

Thank you,

R.

LeftRearRoofPeelingClearcoat2.jpg

RightFrontRoofPeelingClearcoat2.jpg

RightRearRoofPeelingClearcoat.jpg

Last edited by RMcG; 09-09-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Brevity, clarity
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 AM   #2
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Hello,

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to protect paint until I can do the DIY clear coating myself in say 8-10 months? I am looking for something I can apply in a few hours to a day or two at most.

Would clear Plasti Dip be a good choice? There is a clear Plasti Dip on Amazon link, but some reviewers say it is more matte finish (clear, but dull or frosty)

Any comments from anybody will be welcomed.

Thank you,

R.
It appears that Plasti Dip would be more expensive than I thought, according to the reviews for the single Plasti Dip can at the link above, one can, which costs about $20, covers about 1 square foot. The roof alone is about 15 square feet, so that would be over $300 if I were to use just cans. This would be too expensive for a temporary solution.

(The review for the single Plasti Dip can states: " Works well, coverage limited per can. This is good stuff, but the coverage you get from a can is small. You have to do a few coats, so 1 can ends up good for about 1 square foot.")

Any comments anybody has will be welcomed.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clearcoat, paint protection, peeling