Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
yarisnewbie

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Wax spray

Hey all! Since my car is brand new, i am looking for a product to keep the shine and gloss and perhaps add ulterior protection to the car .I already bought the Meguiars U.Q.D. and loved it so i am sticking with this brand for now.
I was thinking about buying some sort of wax product. I am going for the spray version since it seems easy to use. The ULTIMATE QUIK WAX spray was my first choice.
Also how does the U.Q.W. spray differ from the NXT GENERATION® SPRAY WAX ?Any preference between the two?
yarisnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You're going to hear a lot of this. Don't use spray wax as a primary wax. Great for between waxes, but it just isn't as good as the real thing.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, I don't really like the NXT Next Gen spray on wax. I'll stick to my Mother's carnuaba (sp?) wax.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Wax spray is a quick touch up , and does not make up for proper polishing, sealing and waxing.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
yarisnewbie

So even though my car is brand new i shouldn't be using a spray wax???
Is there any other product i could use instead of the one I've mentioned earlier and that will give me the results i'm looking for? Any from Meguiars?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I'm really in love with P21S right now. Go find some at a detailing shop, or order some on line. You won't be disappointed.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Like others said spray wax is only for a inbetween waxes and washes to bring the shine back. I actually never use it. Only for claybarring. I just simply wax my car once a month. Always has a car show shine.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
If you want a spray polish get something called plexus. Use it on glass, leather, paint, and plastic. It will leave a baby but smooth surface that will hold up. It’s used a lot by motorcycle people. It dose have a good price tag but you can get it off the net by the case and come out ok on it.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Congrats on the new Yaris! Before you go crazy with the waxes, I would suggest getting a clay bar and do your whole car, especially the horizonal surfaces. I too bought my car brand new and it's always garaged. Here's what I removed from only the roof with a clay bar after about 4 months of ownership. You don't want that crap under a nice wax job. Here's a link to my thread of how I detailed the exterior and the products that I used. Hopefully the information can be of some help to you.

2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Congrats on the new Yaris! Before you go crazy with the waxes, I would suggest getting a clay bar and do your whole car, especially the horizonal surfaces. I too bought my car brand new and it's always garaged. Here's what I removed from only the roof with a clay bar after about 4 months of ownership. You don't want that crap under a nice wax job. Here's a link to my thread of how I detailed the exterior and the products that I used. Hopefully the information can be of some help to you.

+1
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post

Thanks! I thought about buying a clay kit and do the whole car......
So let's say i wash my car ,dry it and then clay it? Is it easy to do? Then after i clay it what do i do?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
markitect

Drives: Yaris
It's easy to do, but it's a lot of work.
After you clay bar it.
Give it another rinse with a soft sponge/use pre-wax cleaner.
Apply sealer/glaze
Wax it once (a lot of people say use a paste wax at least for the base coat).
Wax it again(spray wax should be fine this time).

If you do all this by hand it will fill up most of the day and you will wonder what on earth you did to get so tired.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Clay the car when you wash it. Greater results, accuracy and easier to do. You will probably waste less clay too. Water and soap can work as lubrication, keep the area wet, and clay the whole car.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I joined this forum a few months before my 09 arrived. I had never heard of the clay bar, but after seeing someone's post on here about how well they work I bought one. I did my two existing cars with it (98 and 04 vehicles) and couldn't believe what came off and how good the cars looked.

When my Yaris finally arrived in October, I clay barred it and waxed it, its first night home. I couldn't believe how much came off onto the clay, considering that the dealership had cleaned it before I picked it up. I guess the trip across the Pacific and then by truck across the country left some serious deposits...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Hi Yarisnewbie, just like the others said. The #1 thing to remember when using a clay bar is to keep the surface lubed! As I mentioned in my other thread, I used a quick detailer. Just work one reasonably sized section of the car at a time. I did this by hand. It does not take a lot of pressure. Just use a firm hand. You're not trying to rub the paint off.

I used a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher to do the rest of the steps. If you have other vehicles to maintain or want to save your arms for later use, buy one of these and some pads. Here's a good place to do some research: http://www.autogeek.net/po.html. You could probably find better prices by searching around the 'net, but this will get you started. Good luck and if you can post up some pics of your ride after you're done.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
firebob

When I first get a car I put about 12 + hours into getting it look good. I found doing it right the first time makes it less work for the rest of the time.

I get a bit anal with cleaning a car. For the out side; wash, clay bar, wash, paste wax, tire shin on all plastic on the out side, wash, paste wax, Rain X, wash, and Plexus 100% of everything. Inside gets; Scotch Guard on all cloth, a cleaner for the overspray, vinyl protector, glass cleaner, Plexus everything that is not cloth.

Once a week I give it a hand wash with a spray wash. Every other week wash, tire shine for everything black, wash, and spray wax. Once a month I will wax it. With being on the road it’s hard to find a spot to clean a car well. If we want it to pop at any time we just give it a wash, spray wax, tire shine, and give it a shot of Plexus. We carry our own hose and will use a Cracker Barrel if we have to for our water needs (or anywhere they do not have a lock on there water cut off). I also feel that if it is 40* or more at the time then it is not to cold to wash and wax as long as it’s light out.

When we have a few days off we will find a bed and breakfast to crash at. You would not believe what a difference you can make on the owners car in a few hours to trade for the use of there water and shop vacuum so we can clean up our ride.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
When I first get a car I put about 12 + hours into getting it look good. I found doing it right the first time makes it less work for the rest of the time.

I get a bit anal with cleaning a car. For the out side; wash, clay bar, wash, paste wax, tire shin on all plastic on the out side, wash, paste wax, Rain X, wash, and Plexus 100% of everything. Inside gets; Scotch Guard on all cloth, a cleaner for the overspray, vinyl protector, glass cleaner, Plexus everything that is not cloth.

Once a week I give it a hand wash with a spray wash. Every other week wash, tire shine for everything black, wash, and spray wax. Once a month I will wax it. With being on the road it’s hard to find a spot to clean a car well. If we want it to pop at any time we just give it a wash, spray wax, tire shine, and give it a shot of Plexus. We carry our own hose and will use a Cracker Barrel if we have to for our water needs (or anywhere they do not have a lock on there water cut off). I also feel that if it is 40* or more at the time then it is not to cold to wash and wax as long as it’s light out.

When we have a few days off we will find a bed and breakfast to crash at. You would not believe what a difference you can make on the owners car in a few hours to trade for the use of there water and shop vacuum so we can clean up our ride.
"a bit anal" you might wanna find a new word i dont think that quite covers what i just read. Also the hose in the car. hahah. Do you have OCD about you car a little? Although i cant say much i used to wash my car twice a week or more sometimes.
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
firebob

I don’t have OCD (at least this is what I tell my self) but I have a real bad ADHD that I can’t get the good drugs for with out seeing a shrink every 60 days. I would never make it to a shrink that often so I use my family doc. He gives me something that is not as good but only has to send him in my blood work results every 4 months and $20 (I have to pay for an office visit) to get him to call in a new 4 month supply.

Last week I took my car in for its 9,800 check up and to get a few odds and ends fixed. I was told it got dusty so they sent it over for a hand wash. I told them I would deal with the dust and not to wash it but they had already started. The sales manager came and got me when it came back because it cam back with swirl marks and lost half it’s shine.

He offered to have it striped, buffed, and waxed and give us a rental and a hotel for the night. We had to drive all night to make it to our next job so I told him we might make it back in 4 or 18 days depending on how our schedule works out. We left with getting an oil change, tire rotation and balance, rear saw bar, mud flaps, a few computer tweaks, some simply warranty covered stuff, and needing to strip and wax my car for $45.

On the bright side it looks better than what’s on the show room floor as long as you do not see the one tinny scratch that I should have used touch up on but I thought I could get it out by hand.