Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
good points. what's the 2 minute trick?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
there is no such thing as privacy anywhere, no matter what. That is the first thing everyone must realize.

Secondly, there never was anything such as privacy on the internet. There never will be. Any time you enter something into a browser, it sends it to another computer. Thus no more privacy. Google, Apple and other insanely large businesses have the capacity to save everything anyone ever does on the web, all the time every time. So every browser you use will have every browsing session you have ever had stored somewhere. Google especially is known for buying server farms by the acre, but they are not the only one. They also have their own server architecture, firmware, and software to access it all as quickly as possible.

The only way to have privacy on the internet is to never use the internet. And in reality that is not enough, because all yellow pages and almost all directories in paper have an internet version as well.

The time has come for you to be comfortable and happy for everyone to know everything about you, because that will be the reality sooner rather than later.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Sure, why not? As I said before, "I just don't like it" is a fine answer for you and I respect it. BUT, my question about the real danger hasn't been addressed. What is the real danger to me of my browsing activity being recorded, with my permission?............
It's like this...... I don't have anything to hide..... however this does no mean that I allow anyone to secretely spy into my windows.
If anyone can not understand this concept, I truly do not know what else to say.
Also, do you know exactly what info is being collected and exactly what is being done with it?
I think you will agree that not absoloutly everthing one does on the net should be public knowledge.
Even if it is perfecly legal and moral, some things are still private.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
there is no such thing as privacy anywhere, no matter what. That is the first thing everyone must realize.

Secondly, there never was anything such as privacy on the internet. There never will be. Any time you enter something into a browser, it sends it to another computer. Thus no more privacy. Google, Apple and other insanely large businesses have the capacity to save everything anyone ever does on the web, all the time every time. So every browser you use will have every browsing session you have ever had stored somewhere. Google especially is known for buying server farms by the acre, but they are not the only one. They also have their own server architecture, firmware, and software to access it all as quickly as possible.

The only way to have privacy on the internet is to never use the internet. And in reality that is not enough, because all yellow pages and almost all directories in paper have an internet version as well.

The time has come for you to be comfortable and happy for everyone to know everything about you, because that will be the reality sooner rather than later.
The problem is that googe has steped a bit over the line of not informing the consumer what their sofware is doning.

Granted, there have always been spyware/trojan programs but, with google chrome, (among some others) this has gone mainsteam big time. It is no longer a pactice of small dishonest, often freeware software peddlers.
Also, even when you uninstall chrome, the spyware remains. At least I'm computer savy so, I was able to track it down and manualy delete the files and prevent from from running any fraction of it I could not delete.
However what about those who are not as computer savy?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
The problem is that googe has steped a bit over the line of not informing the consumer what their sofware is doning.

Granted, there have always been spyware/trojan programs but, with google chrome, (among some others) this has gone mainsteam big time. It is no longer a pactice of small dishonest, often freeware software peddlers.
Also, even when you uninstall chrome, the spyware remains. At least I'm computer savy so, I was able to track it down and manualy delete the files and prevent from from running any fraction of it I could not delete.
However what about those who are not as computer savy?
it doesn't matter? 90% of computer use is the net. and again, you are labeling it wrong. spyware & trojans render computers dead and unusable. nothing you download that is suppose to come with chrome falls into that category. unless you really did download it from somewhere you should not of, you saw nothing anyone else would call spyware or trojans.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it doesn't matter? 90% of computer use is the net. and again, you are labeling it wrong. spyware & trojans render computers dead and unusable. nothing you download that is suppose to come with chrome falls into that category. unless you really did download it from somewhere you should not of, you saw nothing anyone else would call spyware or trojans.
Tojans and spyware "render computers dead and unusable."????
You are seriously misinformed!!!!!

For one thing, trojan/spyware software by definition works in the background without the victim being aware of it.
It is usually a "call home" type of malicious software that gives no obvious signs to the computer user.

This is also true of many viruses! By definition, a computer virus is any program that is installed without the uses permission that cause any malicious activity and can be passed on to others. A virus can still leave the compuer mostly usable and can often be undetectable for the most part.
Also, a virus can also be a trojan with no obvious signs.

Only the most serious viruses can render a computer dead and/or unusable.

BTW, also by definition, spyware is a trojan!

Last edited by RedRide; 04-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Tojans and spyware "render computers dead and unusable."????
You are seriously misinformed!!!!!

For one thing, trojan/spyware software by definition works in the background without the victim being aware of it.
It is usually a "call home" type of malicious software that gives no obvious signs to the computer user.

This is also true of many viruses! By definition, a computer virus is any program that is installed without the uses permission that cause any malicious activity and can be passed on to others. A virus can still leave the compuer mostly usable and can often be undetectable for the most part.
Also, a virus can also be a trojan with no obvious signs.

Only the most serious viruses can render a computer dead and/or unusable.

BTW, also by definition, spyware is a trojan!
that's where i disagree, show me a computer that has been co-opted by a botnet, or has a keylogger or other such malicious software that you'd actually want to use? That's unusable by me.

But you want to rant and rave and go insane about something the rest of the tech world simply says, "meh," to, be my guest. I can't wait to see your reaction when we join london and europe in video recording every mm of the entire nation. The future is coming fast, privacy was never meant to actually exist beyond your physical living space, and now it probably won't exist their either.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
RedRide

I believe you are grasping for straws now.
It appears that you are the one who is "ranting and raving".
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
both of you need to calm down. The fact is, if you spend more than 2 minutes with Chrome and set it up to the way you like it, it will be the best browser you ever used.
amen
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
this. http://browseryoulovedtohate.com/post/19346319467
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #29
RedRide

Quote:
both of you need to calm down. The fact is, if you spend more than 2 minutes with Chrome and set it up to the way you like it, it will be the best browser you ever used.
The best? That is simply one's opinion.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #30
RedRide

Quote:
no no its not one's opinion. just browse the reviews and tests and you will realize it is the best and not just MY opinion. It is the only browser that was left unbeaten in all the previous Pwn2Own competitions only being hacked this year and within 24hours the security hole was patched up.

Anyways Im not trying to tell you what to run on your machine, just trying to make you realize that you are misinformed and riding the paranoia train.
I did not say it was not a good or acceptable browser... it certainly was not slower (or faster) than IE8.

Chrome has an appeal to many who like a minimalist interface. However IE can be configured much the same. Personally, I never run IE as it comes "out of the box"

Some have said that I need to configure chrome.
Perghaps those who do not like IE do not bother to configer that?
This is not to metion those who simply do not like IE soley because it is from MS.
Also, how many who use chrome have even used a later vers of IE and configerd it properly?
As far os chrome not being part of the OS..... it is intergrated with it none the less.. it could not function otherwise. The sole difference with IE is you can not uninstall it.

In any event, I like the interface with a properly comfigured IE8 (as I like it) and it does not have the call home spyware like chrome that remains even when you uninstall chrome.

Also, anyone who thinks chrome does not have its own security issues has a serious false sense of security.

BTW, world wide IE is still the most popular and wildly use browser.

A far as not having privacy on the net, yes, I fully unserstand that...... I got my first computer back in 1980.
However, why are some williing to hand over their house keys to a thief because they are not the only thief in the neighborhood?

We can continue to race around in circles over this but, what is the point?
After all is said and done, there are those who like chrome as well as those who like IE and chrome will still have call home spyware.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #31
RedRide

I give up also.

First some say chrome has no/veryfew security issues but, then say it needs to be constantly updated to fix security issues.

From a "PC World" article that generally praises chrome................

"........Chrome also installs the Googleupdate.exe application, scheduled to run automatically in Windows Vista Task Scheduler, which frequently dials home (although only when the user is logged on and the computer is idle) and checks for browser (and other Google application) updates, and silently installs them. This is a great way to keep the browser up to date (patches are currently applied more frequently than once a week), but it riles many security administrators because there is no notification of the outward-bound search, no notification of pending patches, and no approval requested for patches to be applied; plus, this behavior cannot be easily changed.".......

The question that begs to be asked is what info is being sent back to google and hence the marketing word, etc based on your browsing habits.
Let's get real here........ the only real reasons google gives out a free browser is to collect marketing data from it users and to have a place to run and/or sell advetising and pomote it own interests.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Did anyone notice that my question never gets answered?

If "I just don't want them to do that" is your only answer, just say so.

Quote:
my question about the real danger hasn't been addressed. What is the real danger to me of my browsing activity being recorded
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #33
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Did anyone notice that my question never gets answered? :rolleyes

If "I just don't want them to do that" is your only answer, just say so.
I did answer it several posts back.
I stated to the effect that even though I have have nothing to hide, I still do not want anyone spying on me.
Honestly, is that so dificult to understand?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
RedRide

Again..... everyone seems so certain about exactly what google spyware sends home even though they really have no real idea what it consists of. People are simply making assumptions.
People seem to be defending chrome on blind faith born of a dislike for MS.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-15-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I stated to the effect that even though I have have nothing to hide, I still do not want anyone spying on me.
That didn't answer my question, if you read it carefully.

So you are agreeing that there is no real and present danger to me personally by allowing it, but that you don't want them to do it. Yes?

Quote:
Honestly, is that so dificult to understand?
Is that a real question, or just a weak attempt to be mean? The answer is no. I have a real question, in the context of real life, for my own internet usage that hasn't been answered by you. Please?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That didn't answer my question, if you read it carefully.

So you are agreeing that there is no real and present danger to me personally by allowing it, but that you don't want them to do it. Yes?

Is that a real question, or just a weak attempt to be mean? The answer is no. I have a real question, in the context of real life, for my own internet usage that hasn't been answered by you. Please?
Not trying to be mean .... are you?
I'm just a bit frustrated of going round in circles here.
Why is it so difficult to understand the simple concept that even though I have nothing to hide, I still do not want anyone spying on me?

I fail to see your point. Are you saying that many others don't mind the spyware so, why should I?