Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
Waxing the Yaris?

My new yaris will be here next week,I'm already to go and buy new products to protect her. What should I get,what is the best? I just saw something on QVC called final detail and it looks like great stuff! You can use it on the whole outside of the car even the plastic,windows,trimming etc and it want make that white flaking mess. It should them putting it on a car and then showing a penny slide down it,then they showed how it sheeted off water etc,I know that must waxes will do that when applied right. But,this stuff looks easier to put on that that paste wax stuff. Should I order this stuff or should I just get me some the Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax which is supose to last longer than regular wax and protect the paint longer that just plain wax? But I don't what do you guys use on your Yaris?

Thanks in advance

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I bought some ultra polish http://www.ultrapolish.com/Catalog.asp glare aircraft polish. I used it on my Yaris and I think impressive results, After I did both applications I RAN INTO A LOT OF BUGS (one every 1/2 to 1/4 inch on the bumper) after a rain this morning the bugs were all gone but for two. It is suppose to last 5 years. (time will tell) as for chorme I did it to my bike and can you say mirror. It was fabulous. I still want to get some plastic covering for the front end. As for now ,so far so good!
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
Thanks,man that sounds like some good stuff! Pricey,but if its as good as they say it is then,its worth it!

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
My dealer said wax (they suggested Turtle), twice a year. I listened to their advice, but wax can be a pain.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
bikergal

Drives: Tacoma 4x4
Meguiars Gold is what I use on my truck. Works great! Only $10 bucks a bottle at Walmart

Better than turtle wax in my opinion..... Meguiars comes in a bottle where you squeeze the wax out onto the pad so it isn't that paste stuff
bikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
Just get the meguiars off-the-shelve 1-2-3 step waxing. HOw often you wax your car depends on how often your car is exposed to the elements(outside, garage, under a tree, etc).

Try running your hand on the paint after you washed it. If its not smooth, speciall if feels a bit sandy, wax your car.....clay bar it first though.
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Wait a month after you get the car. The paint could be still settling. Waxing it. Well there are those 1 year wax products that make your car look like a mirror :)
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Only use a very good NON-paste wax and definitely wax OUT of sunlight.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Island Boy

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Only use a very good NON-paste wax and definitely wax OUT of sunlight.

Kevin
"ICE" by Turtle Wax is the best and easiest stuff I have used in years. no residue at all. Just remember, on a car with clearcoat, you are not waxing the paint, you are waxing the clearcoat, so if you wax toooo much and/or toooo hard, you will eventually ware throught the clearcoat, and then the paint will have no protection from the elaments.
Island Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Island Boy

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2AUTOSPL
Just get the meguiars off-the-shelve 1-2-3 step waxing. HOw often you wax your car depends on how often your car is exposed to the elements(outside, garage, under a tree, etc).

Try running your hand on the paint after you washed it. If its not smooth, speciall if feels a bit sandy, wax your car.....clay bar it first though.
Clay bar on a clearcoat paint finish? are you serious?
Island Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I believe Maguiar's clay bar is ok to use on a clearcoat paint finish. It is stated as being clear coat safe.

For waxing, I'm going to use Maguiar's Gold Class LIQUID Wax. It has been proven to be as effective as the paste. I like the idea that it's easy to apply, hence allowing you get a nice thin coat on it, and just as easy to remove.

I've a question though... I had a conversation with someone who is an auto detailer and he explained that a protecting the car is a 5-step process.

1) Wash - get rid of dust and dirt
2) Clean - get rid of scratches and other minor defects
3) Polish - brings out the shine in the paint, protects the shine
4) Wax - protects the paint from the environment
5) Maintain - all of the above

My question is, Is POLISHING necessary for a new car?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
DARK505

Drives: Subaru Impreza WRX
I highly suggest Zanio! It works wonders! Ill see if i can get pics of my buddies Mazdaspeed that he used it on... after he had layered it several times it looked like a mirror NO JOKE!
I will be telling the dealer NOT to wax, wash or touch the exterior of my yaris (whenever it happens) and i will be applying Zanio the first day i get it.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Its a bit pricey but SO worth it.
When i get pics you will understand.
DARK505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
From what I understand you should definately not polish it the first day. I guess that the paint could possibly take some time to fully cure, ad I guess polishing uncured paint is bad.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
Master2192

Drives: 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I wouldn't start claybaring fresh paint either, claybar is an abrasive and using it too much can go through the clear coat and start removing paint. Regular waxing will really protect the paint very well, I wax my g/fs WRX ever 3 months as it rains alot here in washington and I'd like to keep it looking good.

Currently using Meguirs Gold Class Liquid wax and loving it.
Master2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #15
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Excellent advice RE: Polishing + Clay Bar

I guess for a car that's very new, eg. less than 3 months, polishing and using a clay bar to remove contaminants is not necessary and can hinder the paint as some of you have said.

I guess I'll start with a thorough car wash and appropriately hand dry it afterwards.

Then I'll wax it using a 10" orbital Yes I'm lazy! But there will still be some hand waxing for those hard to reach places.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #16
DARK505

Drives: Subaru Impreza WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
From what I understand you should definately not polish it the first day. I guess that the paint could possibly take some time to fully cure, ad I guess polishing uncured paint is bad.
The paint should have had time to cure in the time it takes to get from japan to the US to me. I may have misstated how quick i would Zanio my car, but i will be doing it very soon after i get it. I will let the pics talk for me.

Quote:
Then I'll wax it using a 10" orbital Yes I'm lazy! But there will still be some hand waxing for those hard to reach places.
That can damage the clear coat due to the high speed/pressure of the orbital (swirls/rubbing away the clear coat). I hope you dont plan on Dawn washing it...
DARK505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #17
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK505
That can damage the clear coat due to the high speed/pressure of the orbital (swirls/rubbing away the clear coat). I hope you dont plan on Dawn washing it...
RE: Orbital damaging Clear Coat - That is a popular misconception!

I don't understand your statement above, because an orbital polisher (or rotary polisher), when used properly and with a quality wax compound, is designed to protect the clear coat and paint, thereby preventing the swirl effect to some degree.

If the polisher is a random-orbit polisher, the pad does not actually spin in a direct circular motion against the surface. Rather, it uses a mechanism that causes the pad to both rotate in a circle and at the same time the pad oscillates in an eccentric pattern inside this larger, main rotating pattern or action of the machine. Because it jiggles and oscillates it creates a buffering effect that does not create excessive amounts of heat and does not eat away at the clear coat. Some even have clutches that slow the operation speed if you apply too much pressure.

On the other hand, if you were to use a rotary polisher and you are inexperienced, then you might damage the clearcoat if you are not vigilant with the amount of pressure applied to the surface and also the speed at which it is operating.

Most random-orbital polishers you see for under $75 dollars at the hardware store are made solely for consumer and novice detailing usage. There is little risk to the car's finish because the polisher is designed for light to moderate usage.

No, I will not be using Dawn to wash the vehicle. It will be Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo

Last edited by bigsky2; 05-20-2006 at 07:06 AM.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #18
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I have to admit despite my earlier whine about waxing with Turtle Wax (dealer's recommendation), it has worked out well. The car buffs up nicely after a wash, and the surface seems to repel dust and dirt well. Now if I could only do something about the seagulls ..........................
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote