Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Clear coat chipping due to acid rain?

I waxed my Absolutely Red LB a week after bringing it home, early August as I recall. Soon after I noticed what appeared to be water spots on the top and hood, not on the plastic bumpers. I tried waxing them out and seemed to get most but not all of the ring off. You could feel it was a crater, like the clear coat was missing. I figured I’d show the dealer when I went in for my 5,000 mile service.

Waxed it 2 more times after that using Mothers California carnuba. The dealer’s detailer looked it over and attributed it to acid rain and said he had never seen it happen before. I pressed to have corrected as it is a new vehicle and looks horrible in the sun when it is all washed. One service person said sanding and a new clear coat was what would correct it. The manager said they could wet sand and wax to correct. I specifically told them that I would like it fixed so it would not occur again. I was told the wet sanding would do the trick but that I’d have to keep up on a wax schedule – 3 or 4 times a year – to protect the paint. I’m alright with waxing but am leery that wet sanding will correct and prevent this from happening again.

Any thoughts or has anyone dealt with this before? I could not find anything using search about this. I'm thinking of letting them do the sanding/waxing and bring it back in if it happens again.

Thanks in advance!

- Woody
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote