Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Yaris Celebrates its 15th Birthday in Europe

Here's a link to an article from Toyota UK regarding the 15th anniversary of the Yaris in Europe:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/15-yaris-hi...p#.U24avqKPNe6
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Here's a link to an article from Toyota UK regarding the 15th anniversary of the Yaris in Europe:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/15-yaris-hi...p#.U24avqKPNe6
Great link! Great pics! If the Yaris/ECHO hatch had been available in the U.S., I would have purchased one instead of a new 2001 Suzuki Swift. Love the angle the photographer captured on the production line in France. I haven't read any posts from U.S. members in reference to owning a French built Yaris. Have any of them ended up on our shores, or have all of them ended up in Canada?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Now that was one sweet car!
Attached Images

kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Now that was one sweet car!
I agree. My Suzuki was silver as well, and a good car, but I would much rather have seen my own vision....similar to the pic you pulled above.....in my driveway.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Fascinating.

I always thought the Yaris/ECHO would make a good police car.

One night coming home from work two idiots in 4WD pickups were racing each other. On a two lane bridge one tried to pass me on the right and one on the left, at the same time! There wasn't enough room and each one hit the guardrail on the side of their vehicles. Nothing serious just sheet metal.

They decided it was all my fault and began to chase me. I got off the main road and into the neighborhoods near my house and flogged the five speed ECHO for all it was worth. They couldn't keep up with me! I eventually lost them altogether and got home safe and sound.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I couldn't imagine a 400hp Yaris with awd.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
bronsin

It wouldn't be a Yaris!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Fascinating.

I always thought the Yaris/ECHO would make a good police car.

One night coming home from work two idiots in 4WD pickups were racing each other. On a two lane bridge one tried to pass me on the right and one on the left, at the same time! There wasn't enough room and each one hit the guardrail on the side of their vehicles. Nothing serious just sheet metal.

They decided it was all my fault and began to chase me. I got off the main road and into the neighborhoods near my house and flogged the five speed ECHO for all it was worth. They couldn't keep up with me! I eventually lost them altogether and got home safe and sound.
Speaking of idiots driving a 4WD, I was just taking a short cut through the residential area next to mine. I was on a 30 MPH limit road, going 30. The road winds a bit and has double yellow lines over its entire run. Even 4WD Toyota drivers can be idiots. A brand new FJ Cruiser (still had the paper insert from Fred Haas Toyota) was behind me and then passed me over the double yellow on a curve .

A few months ago (at night) the car behind me honked at me for coming to a full stop at a red light before turning right. They also had their headlights set to high beams. I flipped them off. I turned. They turned. The driver pulled alongside me and honked. I looked over, the passenger windows on their sedan went down. Car full of stone faced guys who were big enough (and looked built enough) to start in the NFL were simultaneously flipping me off. They then sped away. You never know who might be behind you.....and here (in Texas), you never know who might be carrying.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Thanks For Posting This...!

You know a car is doing well when it sells in the millions in no time at all.
Took a drive into Hickory, NC. yesterday (about 18 miles away) and saw about 5 Yaris' - I was glad I saw a bunch. All were 2nd generation ones. Actually caught up to a guy & his girl at a few lights who had a red 2 door. Was hard to talk to them as the lights kept changing. We had enough conversation & a couple of laughs. Didn't spit out asking him what year his was, but he said it had 69,000 miles on it, I yelled you're good for another 500,000!
They looked like a young married couple, had some stickers on it, OH, re-badge with a Vitz emblem, looked like a performance exhaust. Think it was an Auto, but I could be wrong. It was fun yammering with a fellow Yaris owner. Wish I was driving our Yaris at the time, but he knew I must have had one the way I was talking about them, even while driving the Benz at the time!!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
You never know who might be behind you.....and here (in Texas), you never know who might be carrying.
Same thing riding a motorcycle. You never want to flip anyone off no matter what they've done because youre on two wheels and terribly vulnerable if they choose to retaliate.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Same thing riding a motorcycle. You never want to flip anyone off no matter what they've done because youre on two wheels and terribly vulnerable if they choose to retaliate.
Same thing here (vulnerable to retaliation) looking at a full size pickup vs. a Yaris. An angry Ford F Series, Chevy (Silverado?), or Dodge Ram owner could do quite a bit of damage broadsiding a Yaris on the driver's side. I don't think I've ever seen a super aggressive Tundra driver (a good thing) .
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Now if ya'll would just carry an UZI, this would be a non-issue!
Shalom-Out
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Nice!

I wish the U.S. could've had the Yaris Verso. I love those things!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Nice!

I wish the U.S. could've had the Yaris Verso. I love those things!
They are definitely an interesting vehicle. I've had the opportunity to check them out in person in Europe. They were quite common to see in France.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I really love my Yaris, and I am glad to have finally made it into the Toyota family of vehicles. :-D

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
The first-generation Yaris (1999 – 2005) was the safest car in its class at launch, and the second-generation (2005 – 2011) followed in its predecessor’s footsteps, gaining a five star crash test rating from EURO NCAP. By the time the current-generation model was launched in 2011, the test had become even more stringent, but the car still achieved the maximum five stars, and the highest possible raw mark.
so.. where have I read that the Yaris was among the top 5 UNSAFE cars?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Sounds like the "safe" rating came from European tests and the "unsafe" from American ones...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #18
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
IIRC, it was some trash article someone posted out of Yahoo! I remember saying 'consider the source'! Nothing is completely safe, anything can happen....forget about it!