Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > NY / NJ/ CT / PA
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Pennsylvania window tinting law

I'm profoundly confused.

A google search brings up a website that says PA law just states it must be possible to view the interior of the vehicle, in other words, tint can't be too dark. It says the PennDOT interpretation is 70% tint, and asks the police to enforce 70% tint -- however this is not the law, and the website states tinting below 70% is legal because it is not prohibited (so, I can get cited, but get it overturned in court? what's going on here?).

So... in other words, I should be okay (by law, not by police) with some 30-35% tint, which is all I would want anyway because I drive a lot at night. But summer is coming...

I called two different local Pennsylvania tint shops, and asked as a new customer what the legal tint limit in PA was. The first shop said 70% on back windows, no tint on front windows, but they would install any tint I wanted. The second shop said tint was illegal for my car, I asked again to be sure, and indeed any tint anywhere on my car was supposedly legal -- but he said they would install tint for me for $250 anyway. The second shop is a place that ONLY does tint... the other place is audio/performance/tint. So for trusted advice, where else would I go?

I see lots of cars with tint around here, and they don't seem to be bothered by police. I absolutely do not want to drive around in an "illegal" car.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote