Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My next car is a Prius.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
this being my first toyota, i can see myself sitting in the new camry in the futre, nice work toyota, anyone else have these thoughts as well?
Absolutely, I'll stick with Toyota from now on.
-Peter
Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
My next car is a Prius.
I was looking at the prius, but the price was a bit high, and internet fear campaigns of the cost of replacing a battery in 5 yrs, made me look the other way
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #22
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Here's my story

My dad loves Euro cars he has owned few Benz Porsche and VWs and we are 3 brothers and expences are not the same so he dicided to try out Toyota....
the result... He got a 2005 Avalon .... year later FJ Cruiser and Yaris Sedan....
His conclusion.... I can buy a $80,000 Benz (example) but I didn't I rather have 3 good cars for my family raher than one fat Euro car for me. Besides 3 great cars for the price of 1 euro.... priceless

* Just for common knowledge here in PR some cars are way way much expensive than in the US ...... ex. How much does Hummer H2 cost in the states..... I think that less then 90,000 right? *
Old 12-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
The last four cars I've owned were Toyota or Lexus. Do they still make anything else?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
You have to realize that there are several safety measures that any car coming to the U.S. needs to adhere to, and that jacks the price up. I never would have bought the Yaris if it was 14k with the options I got.

They offset the additional cost of safety devices by removing equipment.
I like my Yaris for what it is. Cheap, reliable and somewhat fun to drive.

If you wanted a lot of features you should have bought something else.
[following is for LB U.S. Only

ahhh, i talked about in several other post but i'll reitterate for the last time. Dont get me wrong, its a nice enough car, didnt turn me off necessarily but def lost me as a committed follower.

First, they moved the gauges in the center, lets assume that saves some money. Second, they might save some money on drive by wire, ok, thats cool, i like them both well enough no complaint there, but something to think about

Side airbags
are much less effective than in the Corolla and cost the same price--they are lacking the ability to go off in offset side impact collisions, and KEY dont have [COLOR="Black"]roll sensors[/COLOR] so wont go off in roll situations. The combination of the two are statistically going to be the times where you want them the most.

The lack of seat height adjuster
lack of telescopic steering wheel function
lack of that gear indicator in guage cluster
lack of [COLOR="Black"]tach[/COLOR]
lack of drl (without package)
you pay over 2k for power package WITHOUT keyless entry...clearly--wtf, that coudl have been added on for a damn lot less than 200 bucks.

all of that thrown in with the obvious things like cheaper plastics all around and the ULTIMATE crapppy speakers. and inability to get traction or ESC which frankly could be added for a couple hundred except then it would cut in on their more expensive model sales--of course some of us want to live but dont have an extra 5k money for an upgraded model you know?

so all im saying is that there was NO EXCUSE to leave off ALL of those functions. leaving of a COMBINATION of them out OK. but to leave off ALL is INEXCUSABLE. they cut out ALOT of features-- and if you want to get the CHEAP base model you lose power and radio and rear wiper and even more. So basically all those features i mentioned above were cut out and the money was pocketed by Toyota, then to give you an even cheaper option they cut out even more. Those things i listed were not cut and then then discounted from the total price and given to us. A combination of those should have been put in and im sure will be in the years to come, but i will certainly not forget the plethra of cutbacks made--but, like i said, doesnt turn me off, just makes me much more aware of others.

And yes, i should have looked for a company that was more interested in taking better care of comfort for their consumers, instead of taking all those small cutbacks for themselves...but its my first car :P i didnt know what i was doing. Dont get me wrong, im an avid yaris fan, just recognize the facts of what was done is all, and it was pretty dramatic and clear.
--------

also
It does have its upsides, its got some moderate safety features, though the crash test are scored WITHOUT head trauma included (so side airbags would only have a minimal affect on them) indicate that safety is not exactly its greatest strength here in America. It does have the Aux plug which i LOVE. and it gets great mpg if driven conservatively. Niice emission functions, not real comfortable to me but thats my own problem, looks cute, pretty on inside, so i mean, it has some ups.
but i wont forget.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #25
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Lotus Elise anyone? The ultimate commuter car and only around 40K! Decent mileage for what you get, and it has a Toyota motor! 22-29MPG is not too shabby!
You WILL have back problems in a very short amount of time driving that car everyday. Although it would be great fun to try.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote