Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
best "stock look" suspension package?

Alright, so I'm finally starting to dig in and mod my 91, but I have noticed that the roads around here are so rough, the stock suspension barely cuts it as far as clearance goes. So, that said, I'd like to REALLY stiffen up my handling and ride, without sacrificing the ground clearance I already have.

Let me make myself as clear as possible, I am NOT looking for lowering springs or pricey coilovers, I AM looking for stiffer springs and stiffer struts to compliment them, along perhaps with a heavy duty roll bar. "Prokit" has already been mentioned to me for springs, but what about heavy duty shocks and a high performance rollbar?

I can't stress enough that I want to lose as little ground clearance as possible.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
There are lots of options but I am happy with the TRD set up. All from Sparks. Shocks/struts/springs and roll bar. I am however considering going to coilovers as I need another 1/2 to 3/4 inch.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
TRD is good quality but overpriced. Tokico blues are as good or better than TRD, as are the Ultra Racing sway bars.

Only the SPRINGS are going to change your ride height. Eibach Prokits are a good choice for your desired result.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Dude coilovers is the way to go then and you might find them around here from a member for sale Idk what else to tell you
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
TRD is good quality but overpriced. Tokico blues are as good or better than TRD, as are the Ultra Racing sway bars.

Only the SPRINGS are going to change your ride height. Eibach Prokits are a good choice for your desired result.
I have no problem buying a set off of you, if you carry them. :D
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Lol I answered my own question.... Next month or maybe June I'm going for it. :D

Eibach prokits. Ultra racing swaybar 23mm. tokiko blues. That should sharpen up my cornering a mite, yes?

Also, the website mentions 'variable rate' springs. Just what benefits do those provide?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 Dr HB Black
^ very good choices, save up some $ for the tires, because you gotta love attacking the corners :P
beZzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
Lol I answered my own question.... Next month or maybe June I'm going for it. :D

Eibach prokits. Ultra racing swaybar 23mm. tokiko blues. That should sharpen up my cornering a mite, yes?

Also, the website mentions 'variable rate' springs. Just what benefits do those provide?
they are progressive springs, which means they are cushier, but when compressed they firm up.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
sorry to thread jack but i've been looking at the mi springs but am now thinking i don't want to go that low. i was wondering if progressive springs like the eibach's would be a big enough improvement over stock for autocrossing. i already have the ur 23 and would also be getting the blues
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Short of using coilovers (pricey) there likely no spring sets available with increased rates at OEM ride height.
That said, upgrading your dampers to Tokico Blue or TRD plus adding a rear anti-sway bar will certainly sportify your handling while maintaining your precious ground clearance.
Good Luck!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i had prokits on for a winter setup and liked them a lot. real life drop is 1" front and rear

now i have eibach sportlines....real life drop is about 1.7" f/r

prokits and 205-55-15 tires

sportlines and 205-45-16 tires
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i had prokits on for a winter setup and liked them a lot. real life drop is 1" front and rear

now i have eibach sportlines....real life drop is about 1.7" f/r

prokits and 205-55-15 tires

sportlines and 205-45-16 tires
thanks for the pics
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote