Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
Harmful to shift without clutch?

The car has been sitting now for 2 weeks, since i had surgery and cant use my left leg. I went out today to try and use my leg and the clutch doesnt hurt as much to push in. Car wouldnt start for 3 minutes but its running now. Considering its quite simple to shift gears up and down without the clutch, is it harmful to do? Id use it to start off and such, but not after.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
I would strongly suggest not shifting without the clutch!

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
wow ...thats nuts unless you know ur gears inside out..isnt that power shifting..must know what rev to shift if you miss then ull get this nasty gear grind that most people hate to heaR..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

yes, if you can rev-match without any grinding...then go ahead...otherwise, no way

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
yeah, i plan on driving it to where i NEED to go if i do that. Just sitting in the house for a couple weeks now is driving me insane. All the channels and xbox games in the world cant keep me sane until i can go back to work in end of march.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

yes that would be rough, just be really careful if you decide to drive...it could be pretty abusive on your clutch and transmission

Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
yes that would be rough, just be really careful if you decide to drive...it could be pretty abusive on your clutch and transmission
it's in no way abusive to your clutch, since you'll only be using it to get rolling..

it's not really abusive to your transmission if it's done properly. it's probably BETTER on your synchros to shift without the clutch actually, if done gently.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
If you're talented enough to match revs and shift up and down without grinding gears, you won't hurt a thing. The key is "mechanical empathy". Don't force it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I used to do it a lot. I had an 88 Toyota truck with 175k and had no problems. I am old now and haven't owned a stick in 3 years.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
In elementary school I had a bus driver who always shifted clutchless. I was amazed and took up the practice myself later in life for some time (though no longer do). My biggest concern would be if you don't actually rev match the transmission to the engine you'll be putting more force on your syncros, though having seen how some people mash the car into gear without matching it's probably not much worse if you're trying not to. I always teach beginners to shift with their fingertips instead of their palm so that they learn how to guide it into gear rather than force it in.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I did it all the time with my Kenworth lol. Of course that's a little different.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
In elementary school I had a bus driver who always shifted clutchless. I was amazed and took up the practice myself later in life for some time (though no longer do). My biggest concern would be if you don't actually rev match the transmission to the engine you'll be putting more force on your syncros, though having seen how some people mash the car into gear without matching it's probably not much worse if you're trying not to. I always teach beginners to shift with their fingertips instead of their palm so that they learn how to guide it into gear rather than force it in.

that right there is the key, with or with out clutch.. we're talkin tiny lil gears here people. if you can't revmatch on an up AND DOWN shift, you shouldn't be driving a manual trans IMO
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
Castaway

Drives: 2008 Yaris hb 2d
If you can change shift gears without grinding them, you won't cause any wear on either the clutch or the synchros. I've been doing it since i learned driving farm tractors (no synchros) at age 12.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
I was a VW (the old air cooled type) freak for years. Had a 66 Microbus, a 62 Karmann Ghia, and a 70 Bug. They were notorious for breaking clutch cables. The starters were strong, though, and I once drove the bus an entire month with no clutch cable. I simply started the thing in first gear, and shifted clutchless - never heard grinding, but the starts were kinda lurchy.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
In my 1st car, an 88 tercel, my clutch went out. I drove it for a week clutchless, till
I could afford to get it fixed. I would recommend starting out in a higher gear, so you shift less. You gotta time it just right, & at low RPMs, to reduce gear grinding. The funny thing is, in the tercel, I didn't have to put the clutch in to start it, with the clutch broken. I would put it in second or third gear and turn the key. the starter would push the car until it started. It was hilarious, & the starter never broke.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I used to do it on my echo and a civic.
I had the 93 civic for a week, and i was able to shift without clutch eyes closed.
for some reasons, i have no idea why i'm still not able to do it with my yaris after 2.5 years and 60k km.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
dude your crazy ...... i wouldnt do it may cause problems for you in the future!!!
djgab101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
that right there is the key, with or with out clutch.. we're talkin tiny lil gears here people. if you can't revmatch on an up AND DOWN shift, you shouldn't be driving a manual trans IMO
My Yaris is the first manual car, so maybe I'm a little naive but what is revmatching?