Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
NerfYou

Drives: 07 Yaris 4dr
Replacing radio

I've finally had it with the factory head unit refusing to randomly read CDs I've made and I'm looking into replacing the receiver in my 07 Yaris and just using USB memory sticks for music. Other than looking at stats, I really don't know much about them. I've been looking on this Alpine unit on Crutchfield and think it would do OK for me. I can't imagine it being worse than a factory radio, and it looks to be a decent unit with decent reviews. Basically I'm just asking if this is a good option or not. Any input would be appreciated.

If it matters this is what my Yaris looks like.
NerfYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I put a pioneer DEH-X5500HD in my Yaris @ a cost of $110. It sounds great, has USB, buttons for radio presets, HD radio and built in basic digital crossover.

I use a 500 gb HD full of WAV files, but it does have Ipod control built in.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FcN_QgodYncATQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEH-X5500HD-1.jpg (81.3 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by UberSilver; 07-06-2013 at 01:59 PM.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Found the same unit with free shipping for $20 less from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Cde-134...pine+CDE-134HD

It looks like a good unit. I got a $159 pioneer that was a holiday pack (with speakers) on clearance for $80. All I needed was the ability to play all types of CDs, USB port, and bluetooth. This fit the bill, and the budget as my OEM unit did the same thing and got REAL finicky about playing CDs, and the AUX port crapped out, and our radio stations suck ass.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Found the same unit with free shipping for $20 less from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Cde-134...pine+CDE-134HD

It looks like a good unit. I got a $159 pioneer that was a holiday pack (with speakers) on clearance for $80. All I needed was the ability to play all types of CDs, USB port, and bluetooth. This fit the bill, and the budget as my OEM unit did the same thing and got REAL finicky about playing CDs, and the AUX port crapped out, and our radio stations suck ass.
And with Best Buy now matching the price of any of 19 (?) companies (with Amazon being one of them) one would be able to get the deck immediately (if Best Buy carries it and has it in stock). Is ' applying sales tax or not to the order' still a state by state issue re Amazon ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
It is with amazon, if the seller does business/has a location in your state. I order a lot of stuff for my computer biz and for personal use from amazon. The deck I found is from a independent seller, so if you and the seller are not from the same state, there would be no sales tax.

Amazon is based out of my home state, so I get dinged with sales tax for everything I get from amazon. Which reminds me, I need to get my reseller certificate so they'll stop (for business purchases for resale.)

Great idea with best buy!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
It is with amazon, if the seller does business/has a location in your state. I order a lot of stuff for my computer biz and for personal use from amazon. The deck I found is from a independent seller, so if you and the seller are not from the same state, there would be no sales tax.

Amazon is based out of my home state, so I get dinged with sales tax for everything I get from amazon. Which reminds me, I need to get my reseller certificate so they'll stop (for business purchases for resale.)

Great idea with best buy!
Thanks. And thanks for clarifying re Amazon. I know there was a bit of a brouhaha about it here, and (IIRC) because Amazon has warehouse, distrubution center, etc. presence in Texas, we have to pay sales tax. I haven't tested this yet (haven't ordered anything from Amazon in the interim). Fry's started matching internet prices way before Best Buy did, but of course Fry's has far, far fewer physical locations than Best Buy does. IIRC, Fry's started their Internet price matching (signs on the side of the stores with the highest visibility) soon after the Amazon/Texas Sales Tax brouhaha.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 07-06-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added - signs on the side of...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
NerfYou

Drives: 07 Yaris 4dr
Astroman: The main reason I was going to go through Crutchfield is for the mounting hardware /adapters they give you. Is there a cheaper way to get that than through Crutchfield?

Last edited by NerfYou; 07-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.
NerfYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfYou View Post
Astroman: The main reason I was going to go through Crutchfield is for the mounting hardware /adapters they give you. Is there a cheaper way to get that than through Crutchfield?
The mounting kits run about $10 off amazon. Just so you know, the Pioneer is a better HU for less money.

The last Alpine I had that sounded half decent was about 10 years ago.

Alpine = hammered Sh*t.

They do look better(pretty much always have), but SQ is only in there flagship models.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
I use a 500 gb HD full of WAV files
Do you think a 2 TB HD full of WAV files would also work?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
2 TB might be a bit to much for it to read
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Do you think a 2 TB HD full of WAV files would also work?
I read somewhere that 500 was the limit, but that was for my PRS99 and 80.

This unit is a few of years newer, so it may accept 2tb. If it will read 2tb, it maybe very slow to get started.

I keep looking for a 256gb SSD for under $100. but they seem to be holding around $140. forever!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze268 View Post
2 TB might be a bit to much for it to read
Thhanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I read somewhere that 500 was the limit, but that was for my PRS99 and 80.

This unit is a few of years newer, so it may accept 2tb. If it will read 2tb, it maybe very slow to get started.

I keep looking for a 256gb SSD for under $100. but they seem to be holding around $140. forever!
Thank you.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
2005vitzRS

Drives: 2005 Vitz RS, NCP91, Manual
Just bought myself a Pioneer MVH-355BT from JB HIFI here in New Zealand:

Its pretty similar to your DEH-X5500HD. But its on the lower end.

Installing it over the weekend. Can't wait to try out the bluetooth streaming.
2005vitzRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
UberSilver

Make sure you get your power(amplified)antenna hooked up. You can use the amp turn-on lead from the radio, to the power ant in the Yaris. And it does not hurt to run a power lead(yellow wire) in from the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005vitzRS View Post
Just bought myself a Pioneer MVH-355BT from JB HIFI here in New Zealand:

Its pretty similar to your DEH-X5500HD. But its on the lower end.

Installing it over the weekend. Can't wait to try out the bluetooth streaming.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
2005vitzRS

Quote:
Make sure you get your power(amplified)antenna hooked up. You can use the amp turn-on lead from the radio, to the power ant in the Yaris. And it does not hurt to run a power lead(yellow wire) in from the battery.
Thanks for the tip.

How do I know if I have a powered(amplified) antenna?

I have a 2005 Vitz RS. Its an import from Japan into New Zealand. Here is what the antenna looks like:

I had a look at this thread. My antenna plug is exactly the same as the one in this picture.

I bought a Toyota to ISO and an ISO to Pioneer wiring harness, plugged it all in, along with the antenna and the microphone.

It all worked.

I will test the FM reception on Monday when I am doing a trip and will see how well it works.

WOuld the harness have taken care of the antenna power?

Quote:
I use a 500 gb HD full of WAV files, but it does have Ipod control built in.
Is there a noticeable difference between playing wav files and mp3's (All my mp3's are encoded at 320kbps)

Last edited by 2005vitzRS; 07-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
2005vitzRS

FM reception OK. Probably could be better.

Now I'm just left wondering if my antenna amplifier is powered or not.

The 2005 Vitz RS has a very short antenna. I'm wondering if I should try replacing it with a 16". There are a few I have seen on ebay that may work. I don't really care if it does not look as good. Just want good FM reception.

Screw Type 16" Fuba Style MAST / WHIP Car Roof Antenna Aerial For Toyota

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005vitzRS View Post
Thanks for the tip.

How do I know if I have a powered(amplified) antenna?

I have a 2005 Vitz RS. Its an import from Japan into New Zealand. Here is what the antenna looks like:

I had a look at this thread. My antenna plug is exactly the same as the one in this picture.

I bought a Toyota to ISO and an ISO to Pioneer wiring harness, plugged it all in, along with the antenna and the microphone.

It all worked.

I will test the FM reception on Monday when I am doing a trip and will see how well it works.

WOuld the harness have taken care of the antenna power?

Is there a noticeable difference between playing wav files and mp3's (All my mp3's are encoded at 320kbps)
The Vitz has an amplified antenna, as the Yaris does. The amplifier is part of the base of the antenna. The black wire on the blue connector outputs 12V to the amplifier. On aftermarket radios you can use the power antenna output to feed it.