Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
My suspension setup: Breakfast Blend for the angry panda

for those of you following This thread here on yarisworld, i've spoken a bit about my new suspension setup.

i know this is not a yaris, but the basics will apply and hopefully inspire some of you to "try this at home" (or maybe convince me to build some custom coilover sleeve kits for the yaris front end? )

thanks to kngrsll for the killer deal on the Koni Yellows! if it wasn't for you i wouldn't be even doing this project right now!

my suspension setup will be the following

Koni Yellows (Sport) adjustable shocks/struts

Ksport rear perches and springs (the plan is to upgrade the rear spring for something stiffer)

AFCO front coilover sleeves and 400lb 7" race springs

Things i know i'll have to modify:

The koni yellows have an upper spanner that is about 2.120" in diameter. this poses a problem as the sleeve kit is a 2" diameter. i will be turning the strut body tonight in the lathe to accomodate the sleeve ID

The AFCO upper spring mount hole diameter is about .10" larger than desired, so will have to be either welded in/machined out or i'll build a bushing sleeve to keep them from rattling

The Ksport rear springs are a puny 2.2KG/mm rate. Ksport swore up and down that they couldn't sell me any other rate than 2.2kg/mm so i guess i'll have to live with it for now. I will also address the problem that other companies have had by installing limiting straps or cables to keep the rear suspension from extending fully unless manually released. this will keep the rear springs from popping out if the car were to go airborne.

That's it for now! i think i'll cut the strut bodies down tonight before leaving the shop, so i'll snap a couple shots of that process

~joel
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by Tamago; 06-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Tamago

the strut top nut is just a little bit over 2"

wrap it with masking tape

chuck it up in the hollow spindle lathe and go to town!

gives me about .006" clearance on either side for installing the sleeves!

not pictured, i painted the bare metal to keep it from rusting :)

next up, finding something to shim out the smaller body diameter so the sleeve doesn't rattle. Ground Control uses O-Rings, but i think i can come up with something LESS ghetto! (believe it or not, lol!)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Tamago

Thanks to a good friend at Panzer Suspension Development, i've come up with a solution for the lower perch area.

the sleeve would not fit nicely into this hole, and would most likely self-destruct without help

i had a couple spare aluminum hubcentric rings kicking around and decided to try one in the cavity

[/IMG]

but the edge is too thick, so back to the lathe we go!

perfect fit!

when the sleeves arrive i'll weld them onto these lower perches and we should be nice and solid!
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
awesome... cant wait to see how it turns out!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Wow, very nicely done! You know, you're lucky your car has more suspension options available currently than ours. Do you have a dyno of those shocks?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Wow, very nicely done! You know, you're lucky your car has more suspension options available currently than ours. Do you have a dyno of those shocks?
it doesnt really have much more really... they have koni's, we have the HTS, as well as the blues. They both have several off the shelf coilovers. I think we are lucky to have micro image to get us the parts he has found...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I have been looking at the Ksport SS coilovers but if you did a custom job (which I'm sure will be better not as pretty but better) I would go for that deal. Custom Penguin Garage Coilovers hells yeah!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I assume after you got your coilover setup, you're going to eliminate most of the spring perch (except the bottom half)?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Custom Penguin Garage Coilovers hells yeah!!!
FTW
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I assume after you got your coilover setup, you're going to eliminate most of the spring perch (except the bottom half)?
i'll be keeping the lower spring perch for at least a few months to see how i like the coilover sleeves. no need to destroy hundreds of dollars of resale value ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I think if I had access to a lathe, other machine equipment, and a welder... I'd be a very dangerous person.

Hey, for your upper perch hole that's too large, just do a poly or delrin bushing. Could even just wrap it with tape or something. Keep in mind that once everything is together, the upper perch doesn't move. You'll want to keep it from rattling, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I think if I had access to a lathe, other machine equipment, and a welder... I'd be a very dangerous person.

Hey, for your upper perch hole that's too large, just do a poly or delrin bushing. Could even just wrap it with tape or something. Keep in mind that once everything is together, the upper perch doesn't move. You'll want to keep it from rattling, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy.
yes, i've been dangerous for years now it's how my turbo project was even possible (having a full shop at my disposal lol)

Loren, i'll probably pick up some bushing material from www.smallparts.com or maybe if i'm lucky, Lowes.

i'm dabbling with the idea of my own camber/caster plates right now. we'll see what comes of it!
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Loren
What?

I think camber plates on a Yaris is severe overkill. With slotted strut bottom holes on the K-Sport kit, I can easily get almost 3 degrees negative. You could get another degree or so by using crash bolts.

Camber plates wouldn't gain you anything. On a car with a real hood, you'd gain ease of adjustability and reference marks for repeatability with good camber plates... but think about how much trouble it would be just to get in there to ADJUST camber plates on a Yaris! Seems like a huge wasted effort to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
I think camber plates on a Yaris is severe overkill. With slotted strut bottom holes on the K-Sport kit, I can easily get almost 3 degrees negative. You could get another degree or so by using crash bolts.

Camber plates wouldn't gain you anything. On a car with a real hood, you'd gain ease of adjustability and reference marks for repeatability with good camber plates... but think about how much trouble it would be just to get in there to ADJUST camber plates on a Yaris! Seems like a huge wasted effort to me.
i dont' drive a yaris? ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:

Another reason to go to camber plates is to gain some shock stroke. But to me, it looks as if we have great stroke length with the factory struts when the car is lowered (which, to me, is unusal in cars with struts.) My 240 had bottoming out issues when you lowered the car on stock struts, as did every other nissan or subaru i ever heard of. Perhaps that is a function of the body/chassis shape, the yaris is built kinda high, while the 240 was built very low and sleek, limiting shock travel.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
Another reason to go to camber plates is to gain some shock stroke. But to me, it looks as if we have great stroke length with the factory struts when the car is lowered (which, to me, is unusal in cars with struts.) My 240 had bottoming out issues when you lowered the car on stock struts, as did every other nissan or subaru i ever heard of. Perhaps that is a function of the body/chassis shape, the yaris is built kinda high, while the 240 was built very low and sleek, limiting shock travel.
i measured 7" of travel on the koni's yesterday :D
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Loren
What?

I've not laid hands on an xA, but don't they have about the same hood/windshield/top shock mount geometry? Doesn't look like the upper strut mount clearance under the hood would be much different.