Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
RIP Ole' Bess

My wife bought a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix Clone) brand new in 05 and drove it daily until a few months ago when we finally got something a little bigger. At that time it had nearly 270k on the clock and the only major issues it ever had were covered by recalls.

Issues-

bad water pump - covered by a recall - this was a year after she bought it
trans sensor issue - covered by a recall
electric fan died - not covered by a recall, but a brand new one was 40 bucks

That is literally the full list of problems with the car. It had started to burn a bit of oil and had some top end noise at startup, but aside from that it ran great.

We actually gave it our 16 year old daughter to drive and she loved it as well. She will be getting her license next month so she has been driving it all over with me in the passenger seat so she can get her required hours with her learner's permit.

Last Saturday we were out driving and stopped at a red light. I looked down to text my wife back and next thing I know my phone is no longer in my hand. We were rear-ended by a newer 4-Runner.

The vibe kept us safe, but it did not come out unscathed. I'm 100% sure it will be totalled and I'm hoping to replace it with another vibe and buy this one back if the price is right. Here are a few pics of the damage.

I would have to say out of all the cars I've owned this has 100% been the most reliable car and we are all very bummed about the accident. I definitely would not have wanted my daughter to experience this so early in her driving experience, but since we're both OK I'm glad it at least happened in a well-built car.

RIP "Ole' Bess" We're sad you didn't make it to 300k (I know it would have).

BTW it still runs fine and the only reason I couldn't drive it home is that the quarter panel is pushed into the driver's side rear tire. No glass broke, not even the tail lights.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Aww, man, that's a bummer

Glad you both are okay and hopefully, you find another and are able to buy ole' Bess back for a good price.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Aww, man, that's a bummer

Glad you both are okay and hopefully, you find another and are able to buy ole' Bess back for a good price.
Thanks man! They're pretty easy to find around here. I asked my daughter what kind of cars she liked and she said "I definitely want another hatchback."

I was so proud.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Thanks man! They're pretty easy to find around here. I asked my daughter what kind of cars she liked and she said "I definitely want another hatchback."

I was so proud.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
My condolences
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Sorry to hear, man. Sounds like Ole Bess was a trusted and loyal family member. Glad no one was hurt and I hope your daughter isn't traumatized, being a new driver and all.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
ouch sorry to see
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Sorry to hear, man. Sounds like Ole Bess was a trusted and loyal family member. Glad no one was hurt and I hope your daughter isn't traumatized, being a new driver and all.
I think she’s OK. She loved the car as we all did. I’d like to get another one to make it an easy transition for her, not to mention we know how reliable they are and cheap to maintain.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
Leegamer

Welp, they just towed her away to get appraised. I'm not expecting much.

It's a shame because even though it had rough paint and burned some oil it was a super reliable car and I know I'm not gonna get enough back to fully fund a new one.

The more I look it looks like I can get one in the low 100k mileage range for 3-4k, which isn't bad I suppose. I found one locally with 65k miles, but they want 8700 for it. No way!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
So glad nobody was hurt.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Leegamer

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. We finally got the offer and I am happy to say it's about twice as much as I expected. Unfortunately the cost to buy it back is more than I think is worthwhile (about 30% of what they'll pay us for the whole car). Now the search begins for a replacement.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. We finally got the offer and I am happy to say it's about twice as much as I expected. Unfortunately the cost to buy it back is more than I think is worthwhile (about 30% of what they'll pay us for the whole car). Now the search begins for a replacement.
Glad you were able to cash out. Good luck with the search. Keep this thread updated with what you find.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Glad you were able to cash out. Good luck with the search. Keep this thread updated with what you find.
Thanks man! A 5 door yaris on the list of options. All depends on what we can find in our price range.

I also have a hyundai veloster that I'll be selling hopefully this month so that should help expand the search parameters a bit.