Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
errolfletch

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 door hatch
Activating the ODO/TRIP Economy Guage

I own a 2008 YRS 3 Door hatch which has all the usual Australian manufactured parts and standard fittings and comes with the YRX universal digital dashboard...ie digital speedo in kms, digital fuel bars in litres, digital sweep bar tacho etc. The clock portion of the "Combination Meter" also has the ODO/TRIP/ECONOMY inbuilt into the electronics but according to an Australian Toyota Service agent, the trip part of the combination meter does not come activated for Australian owners. The O/T/E digital display is only visible when a strong light or sunlight is shone where the clock module is. It appears to be the same as the Canadian version ie kilometres and litres with the clock alternating by pressing the clock set switch.
Any ideas how to tell what is missing to get the O/T/E functioning and where do I purchase the relevent module and wiring harness (which ever is required). This would certainly save putting in a non genuine after market part which I would prefer. Apparently the South African Yaris has this feature as standard.
Errol

Last edited by errolfletch; 07-06-2011 at 01:48 AM.
errolfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Bump!

I don't think we in the US have it because we have analog gauges but this is totally interesting!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have one of the Australian clusters that someone here imported. The Japanese and European ones have the fuel economy mode active, but the Australian ones do not and you can not activate it (even via the Toyota TechStream tool). The programming of the core processor module for the cluster would have to be changed.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Scott, where is the core processor. If it resides within the cluster, does that mean we can import something from Europe or Japan? (hypothetical)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Scott, where is the core processor. If it resides within the cluster, does that mean we can import something from Europe or Japan? (hypothetical)
The core is a small piggyback circuit board that plugs into the main circuit board for the cluster. It contains the microcontroller that runs the cluster, as well as the EEPROM where the ODO data is stored. You can swap these cores between like clusters, but not between different ones. When I say that enabling the MPG info on the AUS one would require reprogramming of the core, I mean by Toyota at the factory, it is not something that can be done in the field.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Just to share my experience with cluster boards.

I have bought a canadian(Kph) cluster from ebay for my gcc spec yaris. The whole unit is plug n play and the only missing feature is the cluster backlight due to diff harness used for gcc and canadian/us models.

Theres a small dauther board which stores the ODO/TRIP. It's not swappable( with gcc spec) for me as they have different suffix in terms of pn's and it gives me all indicator lights ON with no reading when I tried to swap their daugther boards. This conclude me that they have different programming.

HiH
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
errolfletch

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 door hatch
Thanks guys for your input. I am also talking with Toyota HO Aust to see what they suggest but at least you have given me some info which enables me to be on the same page as Toyota for the first time. Will let you know how I progress. Mind you, Toyota Aust can sometimes be helpful in a patronising way without giving you any help at all.
Errol
errolfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
amanda_84

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris YR
Send a message via MSN to amanda_84
keep me posted too...

hey, i'd like to know if you get this sorted as well - this is something I asked the forum some time ago. Would be keen to know if this function can be turned on somehow.
amanda_84 is offline   Reply With Quote