Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #361
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
OK I am having some trouble getting the stupid sensor connection off the hub. Any suggestions? Smaller flat-head screwdriver maybe?

Also, has anyone replaced the wiring harness? I thought it connected somewhere under the car not up inside the car. Any tips for that would be helpful too since I may have to replace that as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #362
jason214

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Unfortunately, the vehicle side connectors are inside the deck trim panel on each side. You have to remove a Deck Trim Side Panel(LH or RH, depending on which side you want to replace) to get to the vehicle side connector. (Refer to service manual IR-41 (Interior)

I had the same problem for three months and I ended up replacing brake actuator(used one from ebay, left rear hub with an ABS sensor(Timken HA590170), and wiring harness for both sides. That cost me about $400 CAD. I did it myself.
jason214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #363
kebhen

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 184K
Yup, count me in as one of the fortunate ones. When the mechanic was taking off the connector it was so corroded that the pins broke off. So I souced a replacement sensor and hub assembly from WorldPac 200.00 CDN at Carquest. Have to get it installed after the pins come out of the socket (hopefully).
kebhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #364
kebhen

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 184K
Had the sensor hub's done one of the wires to the drivers side sensor was broken and the pins on the passenger side was broken off. Wiring on that side looked ok. After that had the car Krown undercoated. Might help the connectors this winter. If not I was wondering if anyone had tried Liquid electrical tape to seal the connectors and wiring better?
kebhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #365
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I couldn't find a H/B with ABS when I bought mine in 2008. In hindsight, I'm GLAD I couldn't buy one!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #366
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
You need fluidfilm.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #367
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebhen View Post
I was wondering if anyone had tried Liquid electrical tape to seal the connectors and wiring better?
I used clear silicone, so far so good! we'll see.

D.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #368
jleipz

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I am having this same issue- ABS and Parking Brake Lights both on- it comes and goes.

My question is: Do the fault codes get stored after the ABS and PBL go out? Can you only get the fault codes when the lights are on?
jleipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #369
mpankhur
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
ABS and brake lights are on

It's disturbing to read all of the comments from owners of the Yaris regarding the ABS sensor issue. I have a 2008 Yaris and started having this problem in the spring. The service shop said that this is a common problem but there is no recall. The cost for repair is in the $700 range.

I called Toyota Canada and all they could say was that it's "unfortunate". They also gave me the impression that there was not a systemic problem. I would say that this website indicates otherwise.

I'm posting this issue here to let others know that the problem still exists and Toyota is ignoring it. This is obviously a design/manufacturer problem and the consumer should not have to pay for this costly repair.

Keep speaking out against the issue and make sure that Toyota hears about it!
mpankhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #370
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Just an FYI if you have this problem and try and sell your car, it will NOT pass a safety (in Ontario).

I am selling it to my brother and the garage said because the (!) was on as well as the (ABS) it would not pass (which I think is complete BS, but any way) - the mech even admitted there was nothing wrong with the car just because the actual light was on it would not pass.

This is completely unacceptable.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #371
djb

Drives: 2006 hatch
Thanks for the info everyone. I read most of the thread. My wife's Yaris had this happen once while under warranty, took them 2 tries to fix it. It came back in the spring when we were taking the snows off. The back left was rusted and really stuck, we had to beat it off with a hammer. After that, the ABS and (!) lights were on. I used an OBD reader and said it was the rear left speed sensor, something that we were afraid of since the first time, we were warned that it was something that seemed to be happening frequently. I reset the code but obviously it came right back.

I was going to just buy a new sensor until I read the thread. Thanks to you guys, I didn't do that, and from the pictures, I realized I didn't even need to take the wheel off. I got under it and pulled the connection, and I could see a bit of blue corrosion on the wire. I couldn't see inside the port on the sensor. I cleaned it up a bit and blasted it with contact cleaner, and it cleared after driving it a hundred yards or so. I'll get some dielectric grease and put it on both sides to protect it.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #372
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Put the Yaris into winter mode today, and greased up the connectors using this stuff:

Before shot:

Thankfully no corrosion (yet).
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #373
ajsman
I've made a post!

Drives: Vitz 2007
Hi, I have a 2007 2nd Generation hatchback Vitz from Japan. The abs light is on and i have read that it might be a problem with the sensors. Where are the sensors please, front or back wheels?

Thanks a lot.
ajsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #374
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Rear hubs
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #375
falconati
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I'm having the exact, EXACT problem as others. So frustrating. I have not yet tried any remedies; however I'm frustrated that this is such a widely known issue....yet no official fix from Toyota. Having folks fix this at cost is awful. It's a safety issue, not a maintenance issue.

I'm hoping Toyota will do the right thing here, otherwise it'll be harder to look at another Toyota model down the road.

If you're a US resident, please submit a formal complaint to the NHTSA - it only takes 3 minutes of your time and could help us all get a formal, free fix from Toyota: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
falconati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #376
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I am having the ABS and Emerg Brake light problem. My car has about 170,000 km on it .. and does have ECP extended warranty (the previous owner paid a couple of thousand dollars for this warranty coverage) for another 9 months. Does anyone know if this problem would be fixed under warranty ?

Of course .. the problem has gone away. The lights have gone off .... and speaking to the previous owner it is not uncommon for this problem to appear when the roads are messy, and for the problem to go away for months at a time.

*edit* I spoke to the dealer and they didn't want me to bring my car in .. as the lights have turned off and when they hook the computer up to it, nothing will be shown. So .. they said they won't know if it is the right or left side that is causing the problem. Well .. I don't know but for me checking both sides for corrosion would be a good game plan. But I am not them .. and well I cannot tell them what to do.

Last edited by edmscan; 01-21-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Updated
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #377
Gman

Drives: 2008 yaris
When I opened mine you could easily see corrosion and I am sure they could also. Luckily the trick of cleaning with circuit cleaner and then packing it with dioelectric grease worked perfect, and now I have traded that car back to Toyota and bought a Corrola.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #378
aromo
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan
Just joined to post that last night my wife's Yaris 2007 Sedan had the same issue described here. 85,000 Km on it and warranty expired 2 months ago!!

Still there is no response from Toyota. I filed my complaint this morning with Transport Canada, let's see what happens on that front.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, especially the TSB numbers (TSB-0120-08 for US and TSB3027 for CAN).

What I'll do is take it to a shop for sensor cleaning, if it doesn't work take to the dealership. I need to hear their diagnostic and get a quote for fixing it, then ask them to fix it for free as it is an acknowledged defect and I have serviced the car at the dealership for 5 years to keep the warranty (now expired) current. If they don't accept to fix it for free, I will submit a claim at Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (http://www.camvap.ca/claiming/apply/).

I am going to replace my car (Toyota Corolla) with a minivan this Spring and was considering the Toyota Sienna, but the way Toyota is handling this issue makes me think twice about that for sure.
aromo is offline   Reply With Quote