Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Same reason I picked the TRD. No one had them in stock, you can find them on ebay for $165 (+-) plus shipping, got mine including shipping $200.00.
wow this is crazy...i so wish i lived with no rust lol cos my sway bar to install required heat on lower shock ...must be nice working on cars that are always clean .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
wow this is crazy...i so wish i lived with no rust lol cos my sway bar to install required heat on lower shock ...must be nice working on cars that are always clean .
That picture is from Tooters car not mine. ;) I live in the land of road salt, lot's of it!!! I got lucky purchasing a 2009 this January that was mint. It won't see winter roads again. :D

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #21
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYaris View Post
I also spaced out my front wheels 5mm and the rears 10mm for a slightly wider stance, and installed wider 15x7 alloy wheels with wider 195/60 Bridgestone Potenza tires. This particular wheel/tire combination is the same as the stock wheel diameter, and so retains the factory accuracy of the speedometer and odometer.

It handles like a slot car.
Greg

What kind of wheels are those, I like how they look. I've been looking at getting something around the se size when the tires I have now are worn down.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk[/quote]

They're Rota RB 15 x 7 4 x 100 +35 offset wheels. They're about $500 a set with free shipping on ebay.

They're reproductions of Panasport racing wheels from the 1960's.

I've always liked that 50 year old design. It's nothing like the style of wheels being made today.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #22
eablola69

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4-door Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I run stock suspension on my supercharged 5 door and have a 19mm rear sway bar and 205 width, 16" rim, tires. The sway bar really helps, but I think that the tire width makes a huge difference as well with the handling, as I feel big difference when I switch back to 185's on 15's for the winter.
Scott, is the red one on your signature the one with 16s on stock height? It's a 205/50?
eablola69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
Hey guys, so I started with new wheels and tires: 205/50R16. The new tires were an improvement over stock - better grip and the car felt more responsive to steering inputs. It wasn't a huge improvement, probably since I have a set of performance all-seasons instead of performance summer tires. I drove with that being the only improvement for a couple weeks and then installed the TRD rear sway bar. In my opinion, the car didn't feel any different turning into a corner, but while in the corner, it felt more planted and with less of the body roll. Zigzagging in a parking lot was where I noticed the biggest difference with much less roll and greater stability.

The next improvement I have planned are the shocks and struts. My Yaris has about 65k miles on it already and I know a number of knowledgable folks recommend shock and strut replacement around 60k miles. I want to keep the OE ride height and try some stiffer shocks/struts. I've read some good reviews on the KYB GR2 as well as the Tokico Blues and TRD Sportivo. As I understand, the higher performance shocks/struts are better suited to stiffer, lowered springs as the stock springs are rather soft and would likely result in a harsh ride with poor handling due to the mis-match between the springs and dampers.

I understand the KYB GR2 dampers are a step above OE spec and should play well with the stock springs. One step above that are the TRD Sportivos, and the Tokico Blues are better than those. The local Toyota dealer charges just over $1000 to buy and install the TRD Sportivo dampers and there is a local shop that is a KYB dealer/installer. I haven't called them up about their price yet, but I am certain it is less than $1000.

So, is it worth forking over the big bucks to have the dealer install the TRD dampers or save some cash and have the local shop install the GR2s. Would there be a noticeable difference between the GR2 and TRD? I'm not looking to build a track car, but I do like a car that handles well and is fun to drive.

Thanks.
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
The TRDs are pretty much rebadged KYB, if I'm not mistaken. There's a thread on that somewhere.
edit: found it... link to thread

I'd go thru Micro Image to buy the shocks, whatever you choose to buy, and have a shop install them. Installing them isn't all that hard, though. If avail in your area, you can even "rent" some spring compressors for the job.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote