Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Can an aftermarket part void my car warranty?

Can an aftermarket part void my car warranty? It's a question asked so many times and everyone assumes that the answer is yes. Simple answer for the USA market, no. If you are curious about your country, do your homework and find out and feel free to add it to this thread.

Attached is a link to how the law works. But in case you don't feel like doing your homework, here's how it works in a nutshell. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the right for consumers to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used.

Where things can get sticky is when the work or parts are associated with a problem are deemed by a dealership as not performing correctly or are otherwise defective. You have the right to seek alternatives to the dealer for repairs or parts, but remember that good work and good parts are key to a good ownership experience.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars.

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Glad you posted this. I had the service department where I bought my Toyota from say I voided my warranty on the ENTIRE car by putting an aftermarket muffler on my car. Kicker was I had the JDM vitz muffler from TRD. I was trying to get them to replace the catalyctic converter because of the oder which was covered under a TSB. They also claimed the TSB didn't exist until I brought it in.

If I hadn't known my rights they would have denied me my claim.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Same should apply in Canada.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
General rule of thumb is the dealer must prove that an installed part damaged the warranted part. That is hard to do and many just need to equip themselves prior to avoid the verbal cop outs.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
bairjo

So how do the various "performance mods" that work, and work well, affect the warranty? You know, the type that deviate from OEM engineering. It sounds like as long as nothing was damaged by the modifications....no problem. But you can bet if there is any problems at all, the dealer would dial in on that mod and try to blame any issues on it... even though, I feel, they would lose that battle. Any thoughts an this?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Correct. If your left quarter panel fell off, it would be highly unlikely the dealer would prove that the CAI and 1ZZ throttle body you put on caused it. It's just the mindset that most everyone has concerning aftermarket parts, and if you use them it will void your warranty, which isn't true at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
So how do the various "performance mods" that work, and work well, affect the warranty? You know, the type that deviate from OEM engineering. It sounds like as long as nothing was damaged by the modifications....no problem. But you can bet if there is any problems at all, the dealer would dial in on that mod and try to blame any issues on it... even though, I feel, they would lose that battle. Any thoughts an this?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:13 AM   #7
David90

Drives: Mazda
This happened to me recently. the ENTIRE car's warranty went void with a single exhaust change. Very frustrating that you cannot get it back even if you switch back the parts
David90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
misstondjy

Drives: honda
If your left quarter panel fell off, it would be highly unlikely the dealer would prove that the CAI and 1ZZ throttle body you put on caused it.a few days before I meet with web design agency dubai woner he also face the same sitiuation they also claimed the TSB didn't exist until I brought it in.

Last edited by misstondjy; 05-31-2022 at 03:38 AM.
misstondjy is offline   Reply With Quote