Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
stiglitz

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris MT
eBay Spoilers?

Anyone have any experience with unpainted ABS plastic eBay spoilers? I'm getting my hatch door professionally painted and thought I might as well buy a spoiler and throw that on as well.

Will the painters be able to take the spoiler and paint it straight away or will there be significant prep work required? Here's some photos of the one I might buy. Described as "ABS Blow mold plastic material":

stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
The OEM spoilers are also ABS plastic, I got mine from the dealership, pre-painted. Took 20 minutes to install.

They'll probably have to prep it, it looks unprepped to me, but I may be wrong.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 AM   #3
stiglitz

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
The OEM spoilers are also ABS plastic, I got mine from the dealership, pre-painted. Took 20 minutes to install.

They'll probably have to prep it, it looks unprepped to me, but I may be wrong.
How much did that run ya?
stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:37 AM   #4
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiglitz View Post
How much did that run ya?
Almost $500 Canadian lol

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
the abs one i had purchased cracked down the middle within a year(hard winters and such)
i would highly advise the urethane factory ones. even if its not prepainted the material will hold up much better. now that you can get 2k auto paint in a aerosol you could even paint it yourself.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
im STILL in the middle of doing an ebay spoiler, got it for my wife in nov as an xmas present......it had issues out of the box, then presented more issue, and more...and more...ABS is a huge PITA..its either "ok or bad" between paint prep and chemical vs abs issues, it can either go quick n easy or just be a nightmare, im just finnaly getting to lay clear on it right now im in between coats

the big issue is abs is a "dirty" plastic and overseas companys tend to just make it out of the filthyest abs possible, top tip, coat it with several layers of high quality epoxy primer to seal it before working with it, the next big issue is that they are static monsters and will find and pull anything out of the air they can into the paint, lastly your normal "prep" chemicals wcan and likely will cause the plastic under the paint to wrinkle and do all sorts of fun stuff just as your about to finish painting..for some reason durring primer they wont show a hint of issue till the actual paint hits
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
TommyWasabi

Drives: 07 AT & 08 MT Yaris HB 3dr
I bought mine off of eBay but it is the "S-Type" version. When you buy from this seller you provide your paint code and it comes pre-painted. I haven't installed yet, but I am going to soon. The finish looked great and came with everything needed. I'll post pics once the install is done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362949655191

Thomas
TommyWasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyWasabi View Post
I bought mine off of eBay but it is the "S-Type" version. When you buy from this seller you provide your paint code and it comes pre-painted. I haven't installed yet, but I am going to soon. The finish looked great and came with everything needed. I'll post pics once the install is done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362949655191

Thomas
BE WARNED
..i HAVE that unit and had to take a heatgun to it and re-paint it just to make it fit...it was hitting the body, also for the love of god dont bolt it on with sheetmetal screws, instead drill a hole, and go thru the rear washer plug to put a fender washer and nut on it, drill a matching hole on the other side and do the same
Old 06-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
TommyWasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
BE WARNED
..i HAVE that unit and had to take a heatgun to it and re-paint it just to make it fit...it was hitting the body, also for the love of god dont bolt it on with sheetmetal screws, instead drill a hole, and go thru the rear washer plug to put a fender washer and nut on it, drill a matching hole on the other side and do the same
Thanks for the heads up. That's odd because I already did a test fit and mine fit perfectly. Also I'm going to use my step drill bit for the holes and attach it with threaded rivots/screws. You have any pics of the work or problems you ran into with the install? Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyWasabi View Post
Thanks for the heads up. That's odd because I already did a test fit and mine fit perfectly. Also I'm going to use my step drill bit for the holes and attach it with threaded rivots/screws. You have any pics of the work or problems you ran into with the install? Thanks again.
i considered the rivits, but ive had BAD luck with them spinning, also i know the draft on the back of a car can get pretty rough, especialy if theres a rough cross wind...so i used the biggest fender washers i could get into the rear squirt hole to "spread the load" on the hatch to keep it from deforming

as far as the work i had to put in...the highs n lows were BAD....real bad, and initialy i thought that was the only issues so i went about doing the body work only to run into the OE primer wrinkling which ment i had to re-strip it, then i ran into "dirty plastic" which can be common on ABS and you basicly have to fight to get a good epoxy primer down clean

of course once i sorted out the body work and the paint down..i found the side wings? were contacting the body..i could have shimmed n spaced it but it would have ment a gap under it and it wouldnt have "cupped" over the hatch meaning the leverage on the bolts would have gotten MUCH worse, so out came the heat gun and i pulled n tweaked the wingletts outward till it fit the way it should have, then went back to fighting to get a stable epoxy coat that wasnt wrinkling on the dirty abs plastic....i lost count of the hours i put into it, but can state that NO ONE should have to put that kind of time into it.....i coulda made one out of CF in less time....from scratch

Old 06-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
TommyWasabi

I agree. You shouldnt have had to put that much effort/time into it. I'm curious, did yours come primed only? Mine was color matched and pre-painted.

The end product you ended up with looks good. I seriously considered getting just the primed one and painting myself. Glad I didnt. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 06-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
i would be careful of that one as well. i had the same model years ago and the plastic split right now the middle. spending more and buying a urethane factory model is a safer bet. the ABS can be sketchy.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
sh0rtlife

it was a gift for my wife for xmas..so....i basicly backed myself into a corner as soon as i got it..i DID get a full refund on it so all i had into it was time and supplys..but im also a stuborn bastage who likes a challange..and i dont like to lose a fight...so i eventualy won

i dont forsee it splitting as the material thickness is pretty good and since i had it down to absolute bare plastic i know its an injection blown unit ie only 1 seam and thats the low flat pad that took the most filler

but agreed youve got to either have the time and skill or be 110% sure your getting something of quality

the unit i wanted..i couldnt find IE the canadian RS version which has the sharper edges and the long "fingers" that extend out onto the hatch...given the chance ill swap it out for that...wife didnt notice the differance so im not about to point it out till i find one....

she wanted the RS soooooo bad but couldnt get over the 6month wait