Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
jessesYaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Where to purchase rear exhaust/gas tank heat shield?

One section of the large reflective/metallic heat shield surrounding my exchange and protecting my gas tank on the rear of my 2008 yaris has completely corroded away.

I tried searching rockauto for exhaust heat shield and no luck.

Google doesn't really seem to be much help either.

It's the largest heat shield at the very back of the car just under the connection between the catalytic converter and the muffler if that helps?

A part number would be great!

Thanks all.
jessesYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
jessesYaris

Here are a few pictures of the heat shield that I just removed from the yaris: https://imgur.com/a/6fKQeCm

The one nut and partial bolt that I removed from the chassis are in the center of the heat shield there.

The one bolt that was still securing the heat shield in place was so rusted that it snapped off inside the chassis as I was unscrewing it out damnit :S

Bonus points for telling me how to get that portion of the bolt out of the chassis!
Old 08-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
wrecker/LKQ, dealer would likely be your only options
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I can pretty much guarantee you that any car that's been loved for as long as ours have, in the environment we live in, is down a heat shield or two. Don't sweat it, run without.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
If you're not comfortable running without the shield, here's a hack that works beautifully. Take a soup can and snip it into pieces that can be bent and shaped to act as the corroded mounting tabs. Pop rivet these to your heat shield, mark and drill holes to receive the underbody fasteners.

When it comes to the broken bolt, the only thing I can think of is using very good drill bits, try to core out a hole in the bolt. Hopefully a reversing bit would be able to get enough grip to back the remainder of it out.

Last edited by WeeYari; 08-22-2022 at 05:47 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #6
jessesYaris

You guys rock, thanks for the great advice :)
Old 08-24-2022, 02:40 AM   #7
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
My heat shields corroded away completely quite some time ago.
When I visited the local shop and requested replacement, the mechanic was looking at me like I was completely nuts.
He said that he has seen literally hundreds of cars without these and nobody was solving that. Many people actually lose them without even knowing it.
And he actually made a good point that if the heatshield was sooo critical for safety, it would certainly not be made of thin corrodable material which is only hold in place by two tiny bolts.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote