Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Long-term maintenance

Hi Yarisworlders. I'm thinking of doing some general maintenance on my 2009 Yaris. How often should I get the brake fluid changed? Is there power steering fluid in this car? Besides oil and antifreeze (which I keep up on already), is there any other fluid I should be changing out? Thanks in advance.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My wife’s 2005 Camry with 195,000 miles on it has never had the power steering fluid or the brake fluid changed.. Or the automatic transmission fluid. However since you have a manual transmission I would be bleeding the clutch slave cylinder once a year. If you think about it you use the clutch 10 times as much as you use the brakes. The brake fluid in the slave cylinder for the clutch can get really nasty. Motorcycles have separate brake and clutch reservoirs and your Yaris has just the brake fluid reservoir for the clutch reservoir which helps keeps the fluid clean. Motorcycle transmissions often won’t shift with dirty clutch fluid.

Personally before I became disabled I would change the brake fluid Maybe every five years and bleed the brakes when I change the pads.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 Yaris has electric power steering.
Yours has electric power steering.
There may be a indicator on the dash. When you first start the car. That lights until the power steering passes a self check.
A 50 Amp fuse marked EPS in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Last edited by BLH; 08-31-2022 at 07:21 PM.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:26 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
brake fluid is one of those things that typicaly speaking may not need changed for many years...or every couple sets of pads..depends on how hard you drive n stop

as a retired tech..theres a few things i can tell you..
if the colors not clear..its due to change it
if the brakes feel funny or soft..flush the system
if the cars more than 10 years old and you dont think its ever been changed you probably should

id also consider replacing the OE rubber lines at this point as well....mine were becoming "questionable" and this is on the INSIDE not the outside.....most soft lines fail internaly from moisture in the fluid
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
bentjazz

Yarisworlders are the best. Thanks for the input, guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yeah, unless your car has a power steering pump it is electorally operated.
This is great system that also does not rob any power from an engine.

Both kinds have their unique pros and cons.
Personally, I have owned /driven cars with both kinds of power steering and I much prefer. the electric kind.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yeah, unless your car has a power steering pump it is electorally operated.
This is great system that also does not rob any power from an engine.

Both kinds have their unique pros and cons.
Personally, I have owned /driven cars with both kinds of power steering and I much prefer. the electric kind.
ever driven one with power "assist"...imo this is the 3rd type thats long since been forgotten..its not the same as your standard powersteering, and is exceptionaly similar in feel and control to the electric system on the yaris
Old 09-08-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
RedRide

Aren't all types of PS in cars power assist in reality?
Old 09-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Frankly I am dubious that electric power steering gives you better gas mileage than power steering with a pump.

You don’t get something for nothing. Especially in physics!

Old 09-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #10
sh0rtlife

Quote:
i mean technicaly....tho a power pump and box the way the box works its more well...fluid

traditional power assist is nothing more than a hyd ram mounted to the centerlink "helping" push or pull it....totaly different animal and you actualy get a considerable amount of driver feedback from the road more than any "power steering" setup ive ever driven

this is the place where i originaly thought that electronic assist would fail..the yaris proved me wrong
Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Frankly I am dubious that electric power steering gives you better gas mileage than power steering with a pump.

as far as gains vs loss..im willing to bet money on the parasitic draw of a pump running 24/7/365 when not needed is a whole lot more than the drag of an alternator only being used when needed

if a clutched pump was made than only kicked on when the wheel was turned and could "free wheel" when going straight down a road then id bet they would be pretty even...but the mass of the internal spinning parts on a pump and the fluid drag....adds up fast

better comparision is look at an electric fan vs a "static" fan and then compare a "clutch/thermal" fan....the electric fan wins HEAVY over the fixed blade static fan..but only marginaly over the clutched unit..and yet its still enough for a mostly across the board industrial change to have neerly everything come with electric fans....and this is looking specificaly at traditionaly mounted engines IE trucks vans RWD's ..where they typicaly have the HP to not care
Old 09-09-2022, 04:55 AM   #12
bronsin

But what is the gain in mpg? 1 mile per gallon? Half a mile per gallon? 1/4 mile per gallon?

When I go 60 miles an hour on a trip in my Corolla I get 46 to 51 miles per gallon. If I go 65 it’s 42 to 46.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
bentjazz

Do you have a hybrid Corolla, bronsin?
Old 09-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #14
bronsin

No it’s an LE not a hybrid. It has the old style 1.8 L engine with intake Manifold only injectors. The new 2 L has intake manifold and direct cylinder injectors. And makes about 50 more horsepower than my engine. Cruising at 60 miles an hour on cruise control it makes about 1700 RPMs. The CVT transmission is really bad on hills it revs up and down crazy.

Once I drove my 2001 echo with manual transmission To Atlantic City and back at 60 miles an hour and got 53 miles per gallon.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #15
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

Yeah but, doesn't a power steering pump usually rob more engine power than an alternator?
This is why if you go full left right with the steering wheel it puts a noticeable load on the engine.

Last edited by RedRide; 09-12-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Yeah but, doesn't a power steering pump rob more engine than an alternator?
I’m not sure it might. But then again if nothing is being pumped maybe you wouldn’t take much power at all. I really don’t know what the drag is on an alternator not being used as opposed in one developing power. Same thing with hydraulic power steering. Most of the time it’s just spinning not pumping oil.

One thing I can absolutely say for sure. A few years ago Toyota went to a disposable element oil filter saying it was “green“. That’s pretty crazy. They have since gone back to spin on filters. So even Toyota makes mistakes!