Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2022, 12:52 AM   #1
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
EV Hub Motor Conversion

Years back, I saw a company that intended to make EV conversion using wheel motors and car specific suspension to make it a bolt on conversion.

I have since lost track of the company and can no longer find the information.

Can anyone jog my memory or point me in a direction.

The idea of scrapping the engine and transmission, putting on wheel hub motors and using the engine compartment for batteries (and some more in the back) is a tantalizing concept for me.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Did you hear California doesnt want you charging your electric vehicle because they don’t have the Capacity for that? Right now about a half a percent of all vehicles in California are electric.

Just imagine what would happen if 10% were.

Everybody thinks the future is electric cars. It’s pretty clear we don’t have the infrastructure for it. That and 40% of our electricity comes from burning coal.

Sorry to throw cold water on your plans, but someone’s got to Live in the real world..
Old 09-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
CrimsonEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Did you hear California doesnt want you charging your electric vehicle because they don’t have the Capacity for that? Right now about a half a percent of all vehicles in California are electric.

Just imagine what would happen if 10% were.

Everybody thinks the future is electric cars. It’s pretty clear we don’t have the infrastructure for it. That and 40% of our electricity comes from burning coal.

Sorry to throw cold water on your plans, but someone’s got to Live in the real world..
Everything you said was wrong.

Grow up
Old 09-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
bronsin

Would this work? Unless you can figure out how to use three wheels, it’s gonna be $10,000.

http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_...0kits/567.html

Last edited by bronsin; 09-12-2022 at 08:35 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
bronsin

It’s true there’s only a problem because of the high temperatures currently exist in California. A small fraction of vehicles in California are electric right now.

But what if 75% of them were? Maybe 10 times the number there are now? There would at least be rolling blackouts and probably The grid would go poof

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/u...-charging.html

Last edited by bronsin; 09-12-2022 at 04:07 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #6
CrimsonEclipse

Quote:
Would this work? Unless you can figure out how to use three wheels, it’s gonna be $10,000.

http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_...0kits/567.html
Yeah, I saw that. It's a good start, but I thought there was a Yaris specific kit and they might have given up on the project.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
CrimsonEclipse

Quote:
It’s true there’s only a problem because of the high temperatures currently exist in California. A small fraction of vehicles in California are electric right now.

But what if 75% of them were? Maybe 10 times the number there are now? There would at least be rolling blackouts and probably The grid would go poof

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/u...-charging.html
Well, 1, I'm not in cali.

2. a smart grid would be able to deal with it and be profitable to solar and power wall users and Direct to Grid Ev owners.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:53 AM   #8
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
that kit is terifyingly bad

motorcycle disc brake......
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote