Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #55
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisnewfrontier
why,

I have gotten a few preorders- mostly people are just looking for information..... I have a feeling that the Yaris will be more popular than the Prius and every one that I actually get in inventory will be spoken for...
I hope you are right, that would be great.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #56
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
why,

I have gotten a few preorders- mostly people are just looking for information..... I have a feeling that the Yaris will be more popular than the Prius and every one that I actually get in inventory will be spoken for...
You know, there are quite a lot of people who do not have too much confidence in the hybrid design, and some of them will fall in love with the Yaris. Also, a Prius will take a very long time to save its owner enough money in terms of fuel cost to justify the price differential between itself and the Yaris.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #57
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Yes, most people that buy the Prius do it for the snob factor. The Prius is the only hybrid that stands up and shouts, "I'm a hybrid. Look at me."
Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #58
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Anyone know the actual average miles of the prius. I've read that its about 45 miles to the gallon average. And the higher the elevation or colder it is the worse the gas milage.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #59
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

It depends completely on the driving style. Check www.greenhybrid.com for a bunch of info on the Prius II.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #60
swng

What bothers me most, apart from their high prices, is the fact that hybrids are fuel efficient in cities and less so on highways. I do not regret having bought the Yaris instead of a hybrid.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #61
yarisnewfrontier

Drives: silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Anyone know the actual average miles of the prius. I've read that its about 45 miles to the gallon average. And the higher the elevation or colder it is the worse the gas milage.
The #2 salesperson and Prius owner Tom Quinn works at my dealership and he gets from 57 to 63 mpg around the East Coast area.......
yarisnewfrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #62
foober

Quote:
The #2 salesperson and Prius owner Tom Quinn works at my dealership and he gets from 57 to 63 mpg around the East Coast area.......
Are you sure. The two folks that i know that have a prius here in montana say they barely get 50 miles to the gallon. Were at 3,500 feet and its usually about 32 degrees fairenheit here. WHich is suppposed to make a difference. I'm very glad toyota is coming up with alternative ideas for better fuel economy. I hope they keep at it and keep improving it

Personally I just want the simpilicity of the yaris engine and get the 35+ miles per gallon and I'll be happy.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #63
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Check www.greenhybrid.com for hundreds of people's Prius II gas mileage ratings.

They have 478 Prius II's in their database.The best fuel economy is 71.8, the worst is 35.8, the average is 45-50. That is US mpg.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #64
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Check www.greenhybrid.com for hundreds of people's Prius II gas mileage ratings.

They have 478 Prius II's in their database.The best fuel economy is 71.8, the worst is 35.8, the average is 45-50. That is US mpg.
thanks, it would be interesting to know what the big difference in gas milage is between so many people.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #65
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
Hi

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm glad to find a nice site about yaris.
I'm from venezuela
Ryosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #66
swng

Welcome!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #67
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
welcome, mate!
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #68
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
thanks, it would be interesting to know what the big difference in gas milage is between so many people.
The difference is driving style, driving locations, temperature, gas used, altitude, among many other things.

There are so many reasons for getting different gas mileage that they simply cannot all be listed.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #69
vicpai

Drives: '00 Lexus LS 400/'00 Metro HB
Lightbulb A point to note: REALITY CHECK!!

People getting 55 and 60mpg with their Priuses is simply not the norm. To get these unrealistic figures, you have to drive like an insane madman, or maybe cruise on a lonely 2 lane road with no other traffic around. These scenarios are simply not feasible in the real world, especially for people living in major cities like Los Angeles, where I live. So unless you live someplace like Podunk, North Dakota, you're not likely to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates. (FYI, I'm originally from that area )....and aside from this, Hybrids are far more adversely affected by such things as COLD WEATHER, compared to a regular gas engine!!

The reason I know this fact to be true, is because not only do I have friends and an uncle who drives the current generation Prius, but have rented it as well from Fox-Rent-A-Car for 4 days and done some meticulous tests. From what I've heard first hand, as well as from what I've gleaned from my own tests, conservative driving yields mileage somewhere in the LOW to MID 40s combined (I personally got around 48mpg driving a constant 60mph on the freeway, and 41mpg driving conservatively in city areas)...In my tests of "agressive" driving I obtained around 35mpg in the city and 42mpg on the freeway at a constant 80mph, with an occasional slowdown to 70 - 75 due to traffic. Obtaining "hyper mileage" using techniques such as "PULSE and GLIDE", is simply not feasible in the real world, unless you have a great desire to be run over by some monster SUV behind you (or maybe even get shot by some moron) ......as a sidenote I made an interesting observation from these tests. Toyota claims better gas mileage in city driving conditions, but as can be seen, that never happened!!...just goes to show how FLAWED the EPA test procedures are!!

So as can be seen, a NORMAL person driving in the NORMAL world will only be able to get an average of around 45mpg with a Prius, using a CONSERVATIVE driving style. Friends of mine who own Stick-shift Toyota Echos, and using the same CONSERVATIVE driving style, average around 38 to 40mpg!!! That is a difference of only about 5mpg, which in purely FINANCIAL TERMS, virtually makes no sense at all. A majority of people who buy Priuses (such as my uncle) do it for a combination of several factors, which include the "environmental feel good" aspect, and also to make a statement about their choices (this is the precise reason the Civic Hybrid does not sell as well as the Prius), and the gas savings is just an added incentive. However, here in Southern California, the ability to drive single in the CARPOOL LANE does make for a significant benefit as well!!

Last edited by vicpai; 02-15-2006 at 08:38 PM.
vicpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #70
swng

Wow, you must be the research type! Thanks for sharing your findings. Your observation that buyers of the Prius may be buying it for something other than just practical needs is laudable. After reading your post, I am even more happy that I have chosen the Yaris instead of the much more expensive Prius.

Since I travel a lot on highways, I think for me the difference between the fuel costs of the two cars should be quite small. On highways, the Prius does not have many chances to use braking and downhill runs to charge up its batteries, hence the relatively less spectacular fuel economy. In other words, on a long highway with a smooth traffic flow, a Prius is just a mid size car with a small engine carrying an additional load of an electric motor/generator and many batteries.

BTW, is the Prius quieter than the Yaris? Is its ride more comfortable?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #71
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpai
People getting 55 and 60mpg with their Priuses is simply not the norm. To get these unrealistic figures, you have to drive like an insane madman, or maybe cruise on a lonely 2 lane road with no other traffic around. These scenarios are simply not feasible in the real world, especially for people living in major cities like Los Angeles, where I live. So unless you live someplace like Podunk, North Dakota, you're not likely to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates. (FYI, I'm originally from that area )....and aside from this, Hybrids are far more adversely affected by such things as COLD WEATHER, compared to a regular gas engine!!

The reason I know this fact to be true, is because not only do I have friends and an uncle who drives the current generation Prius, but have rented it as well from Fox-Rent-A-Car for 4 days and done some meticulous tests. From what I've heard first hand, as well as from what I've gleaned from my own tests, conservative driving yields mileage somewhere in the LOW to MID 40s combined (I personally got around 48mpg driving a constant 60mph on the freeway, and 41mpg driving conservatively in city areas)...In my tests of "agressive" driving I obtained around 35mpg in the city and 42mpg on the freeway at a constant 80mph, with an occasional slowdown to 70 - 75 due to traffic. Obtaining "hyper mileage" using techniques such as "PULSE and GLIDE", is simply not feasible in the real world, unless you have a great desire to be run over by some monster SUV behind you (or maybe even get shot by some moron) ......as a sidenote I made an interesting observation from these tests. Toyota claims better gas mileage in city driving conditions, but as can be seen, that never happened!!...just goes to show how FLAWED the EPA test procedures are!!

So as can be seen, a NORMAL person driving in the NORMAL world will only be able to get an average of around 45mpg with a Prius, using a CONSERVATIVE driving style. Friends of mine who own Stick-shift Toyota Echos, and using the same CONSERVATIVE driving style, average around 38 to 40mpg!!! That is a difference of only about 5mpg, which in purely FINANCIAL TERMS, virtually makes no sense at all. A majority of people who buy Priuses (such as my uncle) do it for a combination of several factors, which include the "environmental feel good" aspect, and also to make a statement about their choices (this is the precise reason the Civic Hybrid does not sell as well as the Prius), and the gas savings is just an added incentive. However, here in Southern California, the ability to drive single in the CARPOOL LANE does make for a significant benefit as well!!
That is cool, you figured out the Prius is not good for you.

But just because the car isn't good for you does not mean it is not good for anyone else.

Especially considering your location. That is usually one of the biggest difference in mpg figures.

What you call driving conservative might not be so conservative to someone else. And while hyper-mileaging is not something you can do on normal roads, using some hyper mileaging tricks you can certainly get better gas mileage.

Constant velocity will not net you the best gas mileage. That is a simple fact.

As for getting 55-60 mpg in a Prius, on greenhybrid.com, only 26 out of 489 get above 55 mpg. That is about 5.3%.

However, only 21 out of 489 get below 40 mpg. That is 4.3%.

I don't know of any other midsize cars that can average 40 mpg or more.

The average they report is 48 mpg. That is good gas mileage.

As for it not making financial sense, of course it doesn't. No one buys a hybrid for financial reasons. It is simply a snob vehicle. They buy because it makes them feel good, and they can brag about it. As you mentioned, the Civic Hybrid does not sell well, and that is because it looks like a Civic. There is no screaming,"I am driving a hybrid, I am better than you," from a Civic Hybrid.

Just stop making the blanket statements. 4 days of testing simply does not add up very well. I can say the top Prius II on greenhybrid.com gets 71.8 mpg over 12,158 miles. That is a lot more then 4 days of testing.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #72
Mad Munchkin
makeminesilver...I think

Drives: 07 Yaris 5dr-B RS man/silver
Hey everyone! Great forum! I'm looking forward to being a Yaris owner myself soon...Was going to order an '06 until I heard the '07s were coming. Now I'm waiting for my dealer to get me the '07 release date. Does anyone happen to have the inside on this? I'm in Calgary, Canada. Thanks!
Mad Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote