Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #73
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Sp33dY aka MIKE from oztoyota/ozecho/ozyaris.com here .... in Australia.

Who started this forum? Was only bought to my attention today .... is it American or Canadian owned? :P
Sp33dY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #74
debbiezan

Drives: 2000 Dodge Stratus
Considering a Yaris

Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a while, and am now a member. I was upset with Toyota yesterday, as my husband and I drove over 100 miles to see the Yaris at the Pittsburgh Car Show and it wasn't there. So by the end of the day, I had test driven a Cooper Mini and loved it! However, upon more rational debate and internet searches, I came the to the conclusion that buying a MIni might be a big gamble considering it appears to have lots of issues and the dealership is an hour away. Anyway, so I am back to the Yaris, I just wish I could see one in person, or at least see some pictures with people beside it! I think the Yaris still is going to be the car I want, so I am going to be here for a while, thanks in advance for any advice you may give, and forgive me any dumb questions I may ask.

Debbie in Morgantown, WV
debbiezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #75
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Welcome!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #76
black_toyojazz

Drives: Toyota Starlet EP90
Hello to all of you

It's great to find another place to share info 'bout the Yaris/Vitz/Echo.

I´m from Venezuela. I own a Toyota Starlet (but soon i'll have a Yaris ).... I'm also a member of the Club Toyota Venezuela

See ya!

BTW.....Hi Ryosuke

http://www.clubtoyotavenezuela.com/

black_toyojazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #77
swng

Hello!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #78
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
welcome, mate!
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #79
yarisnewfrontier

Drives: silver
Objection

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpai
People getting 55 and 60mpg with their Priuses is simply not the norm. To get these unrealistic figures, you have to drive like an insane madman, or maybe cruise on a lonely 2 lane road with no other traffic around. These scenarios are simply not feasible in the real world, especially for people living in major cities like Los Angeles, where I live. So unless you live someplace like Podunk, North Dakota, you're not likely to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates. (FYI, I'm originally from that area )....and aside from this, Hybrids are far more adversely affected by such things as COLD WEATHER, compared to a regular gas engine!!

The reason I know this fact to be true, is because not only do I have friends and an uncle who drives the current generation Prius, but have rented it as well from Fox-Rent-A-Car for 4 days and done some meticulous tests. From what I've heard first hand, as well as from what I've gleaned from my own tests, conservative driving yields mileage somewhere in the LOW to MID 40s combined (I personally got around 48mpg driving a constant 60mph on the freeway, and 41mpg driving conservatively in city areas)...In my tests of "agressive" driving I obtained around 35mpg in the city and 42mpg on the freeway at a constant 80mph, with an occasional slowdown to 70 - 75 due to traffic. Obtaining "hyper mileage" using techniques such as "PULSE and GLIDE", is simply not feasible in the real world, unless you have a great desire to be run over by some monster SUV behind you (or maybe even get shot by some moron) ......as a sidenote I made an interesting observation from these tests. Toyota claims better gas mileage in city driving conditions, but as can be seen, that never happened!!...just goes to show how FLAWED the EPA test procedures are!!

So as can be seen, a NORMAL person driving in the NORMAL world will only be able to get an average of around 45mpg with a Prius, using a CONSERVATIVE driving style. Friends of mine who own Stick-shift Toyota Echos, and using the same CONSERVATIVE driving style, average around 38 to 40mpg!!! That is a difference of only about 5mpg, which in purely FINANCIAL TERMS, virtually makes no sense at all. A majority of people who buy Priuses (such as my uncle) do it for a combination of several factors, which include the "environmental feel good" aspect, and also to make a statement about their choices (this is the precise reason the Civic Hybrid does not sell as well as the Prius), and the gas savings is just an added incentive. However, here in Southern California, the ability to drive single in the CARPOOL LANE does make for a significant benefit as well!!

Ok- first of all- where I got 57 mpg is driving on a 6 LANE toll road to Dulles Airport. If you do what is called stealthing (speeding to the preferred mph then letting it glide until you want to speed up and apply the gas) it is entirely feasible. Also, I am originally from Iowa so saying it would only work in the Midwest area is not true. It works actually better- from what I've heard from Prius customers and my own experience- in stop and go traffic like DC where I am located. Granted- if you are a speed demon this is not for you- check out an Avalon Touring. But for people who are environmentally conscious and would like a tax deduction this is a great vehicle if you know how to drive it and would like great gas mileage.
yarisnewfrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #80
Prius 1
I've made a post!

Drives: Prius 05
WHAT A CROCK................

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpai
People getting 55 and 60mpg with their Priuses is simply not the norm. To get these unrealistic figures, you have to drive like an insane madman, or maybe cruise on a lonely 2 lane road with no other traffic around. These scenarios are simply not feasible in the real world, especially for people living in major cities like Los Angeles, where I live. So unless you live someplace like Podunk, North Dakota, you're not likely to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates. (FYI, I'm originally from that area )....and aside from this, Hybrids are far more adversely affected by such things as COLD WEATHER, compared to a regular gas engine!!

The reason I know this fact to be true, is because not only do I have friends and an uncle who drives the current generation Prius, but have rented it as well from Fox-Rent-A-Car for 4 days and done some meticulous tests. From what I've heard first hand, as well as from what I've gleaned from my own tests, conservative driving yields mileage somewhere in the LOW to MID 40s combined (I personally got around 48mpg driving a constant 60mph on the freeway, and 41mpg driving conservatively in city areas)...In my tests of "agressive" driving I obtained around 35mpg in the city and 42mpg on the freeway at a constant 80mph, with an occasional slowdown to 70 - 75 due to traffic. Obtaining "hyper mileage" using techniques such as "PULSE and GLIDE", is simply not feasible in the real world, unless you have a great desire to be run over by some monster SUV behind you (or maybe even get shot by some moron) ......as a sidenote I made an interesting observation from these tests. Toyota claims better gas mileage in city driving conditions, but as can be seen, that never happened!!...just goes to show how FLAWED the EPA test procedures are!!

So as can be seen, a NORMAL person driving in the NORMAL world will only be able to get an average of around 45mpg with a Prius, using a CONSERVATIVE driving style. Friends of mine who own Stick-shift Toyota Echos, and using the same CONSERVATIVE driving style, average around 38 to 40mpg!!! That is a difference of only about 5mpg, which in purely FINANCIAL TERMS, virtually makes no sense at all. A majority of people who buy Priuses (such as my uncle) do it for a combination of several factors, which include the "environmental feel good" aspect, and also to make a statement about their choices (this is the precise reason the Civic Hybrid does not sell as well as the Prius), and the gas savings is just an added incentive. However, here in Southern California, the ability to drive single in the CARPOOL LANE does make for a significant benefit as well!!

THIS was my reaction after reading so much dribble and Self-Proclaimed "Clap Trap" ( and I'm using the G rated Version).......... I am Not from the Boonies or Trapped in a MetroPlex............I do give a Damn about the Environment....BUT didn't buy my 2nd Prius because of that. I get 63 mpg combined City/Highway..........I drive along at between 70 mph (highway) and stop and go traffic (City)....I have been able to cover 22 Miles without ever having the 4 Cylinder Engage...........( That's 99.9 mpg )...... and I Drive just as normal as the next guy!!! You Renting a Vehicle to perform your own Test was Idiotic!!!! That is like giving a Car to a 16 year old, who just got his license, and telling them To drive cross country without a map!!!! You don't jump in a Prius and Magically recieve 60+mpg...........Like anything else in life you have to work at it to get good. I have sold many many many Prii and all my people have started out with around 45- 50mpg.....Over time and "Trial and Error" They have mastered the Driving style for the Prius...............WHICH should be a Mandatory Course (in CA Especially) Because the way you drive a Prius correctly can also Improve Gas miliage for a NON-Hybrid vehicle.

I hope that you will think twice about Bad Mouthing a vehicle you know nothing about in the future.........If you want the facts please request them from an Expert and let's NOT try anymore "Blind Taste Test"

Hasn't you mother ever told you ....."If you have nothing good to say ....say Nothing"!!!!!
Prius 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #81
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
That is really good gas mileage, but just to nitpick, you can't both "Drive just as normal as the next guy,"

and then say,

"You don't jump in a Prius and Magically recieve 60+mpg...........Like anything else in life you have to work at it to get good. I have sold many many many Prii and all my people have started out with around 45- 50mpg.....Over time and "Trial and Error" They have mastered the Driving style for the Prius."

This second statement is the correct one.

"Because the way you drive a Prius correctly can also Improve Gas miliage for a NON-Hybrid vehicle."

I agree with that statement 100%.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #82
windypinesands

Drives: 1997 honda civic hatchback
you got the right color!
windypinesands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #83
windypinesands

Drives: 1997 honda civic hatchback
where do you go to learn to put 'avatars' in?

Name:  BEE-animation.gif
Views: 578
Size:  114.7 KB
windypinesands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #84
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypinesands
Go up to the orange bar and click on the link labeled "User CP," You will see a bar on the left side of the sreen, one of the options will be labeled avatar.

Click on that link and it will tell you what you need to know.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #85
AestheticalFilm

Drives: Ford Taurus...ew yeah i know
hello all,

looking to get into a yaris sedan when the come out in the u.s. in late march
AestheticalFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #86
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
welcome, mate...
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #87
swng

Hello!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #88
LAHAL

Drives: 07 Yaris RS B package Manuel
Hey everyone, been hanging around this forum for a couple of weeks, and decided to take the next step, and become a member. I'm really excited about the new yaris. I put my order in at the end of February, and waiting to take possession at the end of march or begining of april.

Well, just want to say hi to everyone. Thats all for now. Chau
LAHAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:26 AM   #89
swng

Hi LAHAL! Welcome!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #90
LAHAL

Drives: 07 Yaris RS B package Manuel
Hey guys, had a typo in my first post. I said that my order was put in at the end of Feb, when i meant to say Jan, but anyways.

Can anyone confirm if the 2007 models come with a black stereo, instead of the silver one that doesn't match any of the interior of the RS model.

Thanks in advance.
LAHAL is offline   Reply With Quote