Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Red face Looks like we dodged the gas pedal recall

I'm sure most of you have seen the news about the "sticky" gas pedals recall on the way.
THANK GOD the Yaris is not on the list. We also did'nt get hit with the floormat thing either.
This does not bode well on Toyota. Two problems with potential runaway acceleration with in a couple of months, that sucks!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
talcum

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 dr 5 spd
Do you really believe it's not the ECU?

This is more for CTScott or one of the real ECU hackers to answer, but given the fly by wire nature of the cars, I'd be suspicious that a few of the ECU's are having problems either due to enviromental effects or firmware flaws. I mean even the PLCs i use occasionally lock up and require a restart.

I'm just glad it's not the Yari ECU.
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I think that Toyota should recall Yaris's with ABS to replace the rear wheel speed sensors and the wiring harness. Our Canadian neighbors to the north and those of us in New England and parts north are starting to have problems with corrosion of these parts. The ABS light and brake light come on because of corrosion of the parts and it costs between $400 to $600 per side to fix. If you didn't buy the extended warranty you are out almost 1200 bucks. I called Toyota's customer service line and asked if a fix was in the works and basicly got hung up on. Toyota has become the new GM. Buy the car and we don't want to see you again.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I think that Toyota should recall Yaris's with ABS to replace the rear wheel speed sensors and the wiring harness. Our Canadian neighbors to the north and those of us in New England and parts north are starting to have problems with corrosion of these parts. The ABS light and brake light come on because of corrosion of the parts and it costs between $400 to $600 per side to fix. If you didn't buy the extended warranty you are out almost 1200 bucks. I called Toyota's customer service line and asked if a fix was in the works and basicly got hung up on. Toyota has become the new GM. Buy the car and we don't want to see you again.
No thanks, don't raise my bottom line because you decide to live somewhere that destroys cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
its just funny that 99% of the cars affected were in the States, all over the world not even a peep.....
What is 99% of 2?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Leslie

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I don't think the gas pedal issue has missed the Yaris. We have a 2010 5-speed and I am glad it is not an auto. I had slowed down to go into a turn so was brakeing then went to downshift for the turn and the tach went to 2500 RPM and stayed there even with my foot off the gas and no cruise on. Tapping the pedal did nothing.

Two days late, I was getting off an interstate ramp, coming to the bottom and a stop, shifted into neutral at the stop and the engine went to 4,000 RPM and again stuck there for a second or so (sure seemed longer) so there is a fly by wire problem with the ECU.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Leslie

Mat is away from the pedal and it came from Toyota locked down so it can't move. This is a computer issue and Toyota needs to figure out if it is a software or firmware issue as it is not mechanical on the 2010 I drive.

I also notice a TACH hunt when at idle where it will move up to 1500 then down to about 500 then back up and down. Dealer has no clue as to what is causing it (GO Toyota).

Can't see how this is better than what use to control the injectors in years past. My 91 Celica and 95 Tacoma have mechanical pedals and no problems like this.

I can see how an automatic in the hands of someone who panics can cause a crash. 4,000 RPM would be somewhere around 100MPH which would not be good in a traffic situation.

Dealer at GO says the Yaris is not in the recall program even though I have told them of these two times.

Sad to see quality start to drop off as I have been Toyota for over 30 years of vehicles.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
Ok... you "called" and that is where you went wrong. A phone call never gets you anywhere in most circomstances with any corp, etc.

Whenever I have any sort of a problem with any company etc. I always send a registrered letter (siginature required) to outline the problerm, giving them my means of contact. It may be a hassle to get a particular address but, it's well worth it.

This never fails to get attention as they can no longer claim they are unaware of the situation and you have legal proof of the situation.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Leslie

Thanks RedRide, I think I will write a letter to Toyota and also the local dealer certified return receipt on both outlining what I wrote here and also include the VIN. This is a serious problem that many on this thread may not have experienced, yet, but it is a problem.

Flash news, the other half just called and it did it today but at least was controllable with the manual transmission.

Maybe it is just a few vehicles with the problem but it is a problem that needs to be addressed by Toyota.

And for Toyota reading this, the mat is way out of the way and is locked down by a factory set of hold downs so it can't move. Which also begs the question as to why Toyota would supply a mat in a vehicle that would cause a pedal jam?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Thanks RedRide, I think I will write a letter to Toyota and also the local dealer certified return receipt on both outlining what I wrote here and also include the VIN. This is a serious problem that many on this thread may not have experienced, yet, but it is a problem.

Flash news, the other half just called and it did it today but at least was controllable with the manual transmission.

Maybe it is just a few vehicles with the problem but it is a problem that needs to be addressed by Toyota.

And for Toyota reading this, the mat is way out of the way and is locked down by a factory set of hold downs so it can't move. Which also begs the question as to why Toyota would supply a mat in a vehicle that would cause a pedal jam?
just pointing out that that 100% of your posts are about problems with the Yaris...so far
Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
You who are complaining as to my methodology in contacting Toyota with my complaint and where I live missed the point entirely. The yaris has a problem with those of us who live in states that have four seasons and use salt to make the roads safe in the winter, roughly 30 percent of the U.S. We are having brake issues with the abs failing because of the salt, that should not happen. Toyota is aware of the problem because they issued a TSB in June of 08 but FAILED to tell their dealers in the northern states to commence doing it automaticly to cars as they came in to avoid any problems. Trust me it will haunt them in the future.

As far as to answering supmet where I live should not matter if toyota quality is up to par and they should do the right thing and issue a recall and fix the abs problem. You can have southern taxifornia and its anti 2nd amendment attitude, enjoy.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
but he only has 4 posts
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Leslie

Oh, I can feel the love.

Yes complaints but there is a bright side. We are seeing a good constant 43MPG in mixed driving and it handles real nice in the CO snows. We do go to the wash and use the sprayer to spray underneath to remove the salt crud, do that on all the vehicles that go out in the snow.

I did stop by the Toyota shop Saturday and they again ran the VIN and no, no problems reported at all on any Yaris. They did give me a 800# that goes to the usual voice mail heck so I will just write another letter.

No problems noted in over 200 miles of driving yesterday. We have 5K miles on it now and I noticed the maintenance required light was flashing on the way home. Wish it would have done that when I was at the Toyota shop.

Outside of the run away engine problem which is very intermittent so far a great car and the gas mileage on 87 is as noted above.

I am sure Toyota will get the problems fixed, they always have.

BTW, it is her. Yes a gal motor head.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
its just funny that 99% of the cars affected were in the States, all over the world not even a peep.....
Yes, because its your own fault here if you put several floor mats upon each other and get stuck with the gas pedal.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
No thanks, don't raise my bottom line because you decide to live somewhere that destroys cars.

What is 99% of 2?
And we shouldn't give any federal fund to California because you want to support all those illegal aliens!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
it is my OPINION that the recall should not even exist at all... i am in the toyota t ten service training program and we are keeping ourselves up to date on this... the problem is that with the affected models, there is no hook for positive retention of the floormats, and most of the american idiots prefer to stack another mat on top, to "protect" the factory floormat from getting dirty... when you stack the extra floormats, they can slide up under the pedals and get stuck...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
it is my OPINION that the recall should not even exist at all... i am in the toyota t ten service training program and we are keeping ourselves up to date on this... the problem is that with the affected models, there is no hook for positive retention of the floormats, and most of the american idiots prefer to stack another mat on top, to "protect" the factory floormat from getting dirty... when you stack the extra floormats, they can slide up under the pedals and get stuck...
I thought the new recall that just came out had nothing to do with the floor mat or the actual gas pedal itself? The gas pedal is actually not getting stuck, it's the ECU not responding when the operator releases pressure on the pedal.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Leslie

I have to agree it is the ECU. Our Yaris has the hooks holding the floor mat down and we do not have a mat over top like in the other Toyota's we have as we are well aware of the floor mat pedal issue.

Twice for me and once for the other half the ECU kept the engine RPM up or actually increased them the one time to 4,000.

There is also an annoying increase in speed when you cancel the cruise without turning it off. A little unnerving when compared to the 1990's vintage Toyota's with cruise. Cancel them and you feel the engine compression taking over right away.

Other than this little major issue, we love the Yaris and recommend it as we know Toyota will come through. BTW, I found out the engineer who designed the ECU system is 68 and IMHO should have known better. But as the tech at the Toyota shop said '. . this is just progress. . . '. Sometimes the old ways are a little better but again, I have faith Toyota will fix this.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I thought the new recall that just came out had nothing to do with the floor mat or the actual gas pedal itself? The gas pedal is actually not getting stuck, it's the ECU not responding when the operator releases pressure on the pedal.

As far as i know the recall consists of several procedures, depending on the model: Shorter gas pedals, ecu change (if your gas pedal is stuck and you hit the brakes, the gas pedal will be cut off electronically) and of course improvements to the floor mats.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote