Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Oh, I can feel the love.

.... No problems noted in over 200 miles of driving yesterday. We have 5K miles on it now and I noticed the maintenance required light was flashing on the way home. Wish it would have done that when I was at the Toyota shop.

... Yes a gal motor head.
Thats for an oil change reminder every 5K. You can reset it - there is a thread here - maybe a sticky. AFA idle hunting - things will calm down as the engine breaks in - the charging system on this car can place large demands on the engine and will cause some idle hunting. BTW the car will ovverun the engine if you pop into neutral while rolling at a good clip - UR not supposed to do that! Good luck and put some good oil into that thing.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Toyota just suspensed all sales/production for the cars in the pedal recall until they know what's causing it. Just was on Nightly News. At least we'll be ok.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #21
PaddyMac

Drives: 09 Yaris
Let us hope that this will not be the end of Toyota in North America
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Pie #2 View Post
Toyota just suspensed all sales/production for the cars in the pedal recall until they know what's causing it. Just was on Nightly News. At least we'll be ok.
That's bad, real bad!
Hope we don't end up being the next Audi 5000.
First a family dies due to a sliding floormat, now potential sticking pedal for more runaway cars.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Let us hope that this will not be the end of Toyota in North America
VERY doubtful.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #24
Eawalt1
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota 2007 yaris sedan
Accelerator Recall - WHY not Yaris??

Does anyone know why Toyota would not want to also recall some of the other cars such as our Yaris since they still don't know what on these cars that is causing the random accelleration?
Is is b/c no one has died in a yaris yet??? Curious on anyone's thoughts.
Not very trustful of Toyota these days but still love my car.
Eawalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #25
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
and people wonder why i still prefer a car thats actually made in Japan..
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #26
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
My opinion - it has to do with quality control on cars being assembled here...our car comes directly built from Japan...from where quality control on almost any car related part or chassis is....top notch
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #27
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
It sounds you WANT a recall on the Yaris. Why?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #28
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Interesting first post...

Perhaps the answer to the question is that our floor mats don't get in the way of the accelerator.

I'd also be willing to bet Toyota has less blood on it's hands than any of the American manufacturers. From exploding gas tanks, to top heavy SUVs, as well as poorly engineered, and poorly manufactured vehicles...it's going to be a LONG time before I buy another American vehicle.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #29
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
why are we talking about this....AGAIN.... Toyota is just playing it safe, and it is only North America (land of I'll sue you for my stupidity...not to be mean but it is a fact) that is getting the recalls last time I heard
+1

Just use the brakes (ATM) or clutch (MTM) to keep the car from accelerating when the gas pedal becomes stuck. If the problem reoccurs, don't use the mat or modify it so it wouldn't iterfere with the pedal's movement.

Or has it been declared illegal to use your own brain to make driving your car safer?

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #30
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
+2

OMgaw! My car's accelerator is stuck! the VERY first thing I'm doing is slapping it into neutral. Then I'll try to save my engine with some immediate action and physically using my foot to try to unhook the accelerator if at all possible. By this time I should be onto the side of the road and then I'll turn the engine off.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I think it's a reasonable question. I also think that Toyota is playing it extremely conservative, but for Toyota to cease selling so many cars, there has to be reason to warrant it.

After my wife saw the news story yesterday and asked why Yaris isn't on the list, I did some research on shared part numbers of accelerator assemblies as, all of the vehicles in the recall list have DBW accelerators like the Yaris. Again, I have no data to justify this comparison, or knowledge of if the potential issue is mechanical (i.e. plastic on plastic binding for example) or electrical (i.e. sensor, wiring fault, or software) in nature.

The Yaris's accelerator assembly is unique to it and the Xd.

For the 8 vehicles in the latest list, the ones which are built in the US and Japan have different part numbers for the US vs. the JPP built parts. The Camry, Camry Hybrid, Corolla, Avalon, and Matrix, and Highlander all share the same part number. The Tundra and Sequoia share the same part number. The RAV4's accelerator pedal assembly is unique to it.

So, basically this explains why for the first 5, if you were going to recall one, you'd recall all. I found it interesting to see that it looks like all Toyota/Scion vehicles now have DBW accelerators.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #32
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Actually, I've had my Yaris's accelerator stick to the floor mat a few times. It's only happened when it's really cold and the floor mat (rubber) becomes rigid. When I've floored the pedal, it got stuck, but got loose on its own in about a second. Just engaged the clutch and nothing tragic happened. The worse thing about it were the looks of passers-by wondring why someone was randomly revving his Yaris to the limiter

So just use common sense and you'll be fine.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #33
jdms

Drives: 08 Polar white lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009BBPliftback View Post
and people wonder why i still prefer a car thats actually made in Japan..
I second that! Japan's QC is far superior to US's. Toyota might try and enforce it in the US plants but it probably doesn't get done. I wouldn't of bought the Yaris if it wasn't 100% assembled in Japan.

I feel this will really hurt Toyota in the long run. Which is really a shame, they make great engines but severely lack in other departments.
jdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I thought the new recall that just came out had nothing to do with the floor mat or the actual gas pedal itself? The gas pedal is actually not getting stuck, it's the ECU not responding when the operator releases pressure on the pedal.
x2. new recall isnt floor mats, its a gas pedal/ecu problem. Go go Toyota!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
many parts for TOYOTA are now from U.S. . CANADA , CHINA too ? Amazed that the 2009 and 2010 VIBE are not included in the recall . Shame they closed plant in CALIFORNIA .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #36
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
not long ago an acquaintance bought a 2009 COROLLA . We told them about recall . Don't think they took it in to shop yet . Glad we didn't get the 2009 COROLLA we test drove . Didn't like the way it felt on highway ( very light steering , wondered ) and plenty of engine noise with the 5w-20 motor oil they now use from factory . Last , there was a loose bolt on the passenger door guide . When opened door it would click . We thought what else may wrong with it if they can't get a bolt tightened properly . That COROLLA was made in CANADA . Before that we noticed a couple of '08 COROLLAs that had the hood off center ( misaligned ) . They too were from CANADA . This is part of reason we bought the YARIS . Made in JAPAN . Saw less flaws in the ones we looked at and test drove . There were some '09 COROLLAs sold here that were assembled in JAPAN when the redesigned COROLLA was introduced . Wonder if those are being recalled as well ?

Last edited by Hershey; 01-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote