Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Finally, after 6.5 years of AC Evaporator usage!!

Hi all,

Ever since mid of this year, i felt my AC is getting worst...

From very cooling to moderate coolness & somehow i need to turn the AC fan knob up by 1 speed to feel the air.

Tried the below steps:

1. Top up AC gas. Improve just a little.
2. Replace radiator fan motor as it seem like the turning speed is weaker than before. Improve just a little.

The 2 steps above only last me for 3 months and the AC is back to square one. Decided to bite the bullet and go for AC evaporator/cooling coil replacement. (Required huge job of removing the entire dash board panel)

I am glad I did that... Have a look below on the 6 1/2 years old of evaporator with 99, 500km mileage. Please be aware that my local weather is summer all year round, Singapore

The evaporator have the moldy jelly alike blocking 3/4 of the entire evaporator. This causes the blockage of air going through it and also affect the purpose of evaporator task.

Now, my AC cooling is so effective and powerful with just the AC speed knob no.1
Attached Images

1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
eww.. that's totally nasty

but i think you would've prevent that by letting the evap dry up before shutting down.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
evo165

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
eww.. that's totally nasty

but i think you would've prevent that by letting the evap dry up before shutting down.
What do you mean to wait for evap to dry up before shutting off the AC/car?

In fact there is a pipe connected from the evap box to external for excess of vapor water...

How long to wait to make sure the evap is dry? As you should know, we will not be able to see it without removing the dash panel & the evap box...
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It might be hard in your area.. but i turn off the AC and let the fan blow until all the ducts are dry when i get off the highway.. (there is still a while before i arrive home)

I take this is not a good suggestion lol. Might as well leave it like this, and continue using it the way you were before.

I wonder how mine looks like.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
evo165

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
It might be hard in your area.. but i turn off the AC and let the fan blow until all the ducts are dry when i get off the highway.. (there is still a while before i arrive home)

I take this is not a good suggestion lol. Might as well leave it like this, and continue using it the way you were before.

I wonder how mine looks like.
Instead of waiting up to 7 years to replace the evap... I might do it in every 3 years...
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I think it may be worthwhile to coat the evaporator with some form of a paint/coating designed for radiators. I think that the rough surface of the bare aluminum is the majority of the problem with the evaporators getting nasty. I have not seen one with mold like that, but the couple that I have had apart here in the US have all had a black coating on them that smelled very musty.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
evo165

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I think it may be worthwhile to coat the evaporator with some form of a paint/coating designed for radiators. I think that the rough surface of the bare aluminum is the majority of the problem with the evaporators getting nasty. I have not seen one with mold like that, but the couple that I have had apart here in the US have all had a black coating on them that smelled very musty.
Thanks CTScott for your advice on coating....

Will do the coating on next Evap change.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
tiiams

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan S Pearl Black
Any easy way to remove the evap coil other than removing the hole dash apart. And how long does it normal take to replace a evap coil, not looking forward to this project.
tiiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:53 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiiams View Post
Any easy way to remove the evap coil other than removing the hole dash apart. And how long does it normal take to replace a evap coil, not looking forward to this project.
have a look at this...while its a total install of a new system it will walk you thru the R/R of the dash..and no there is no easy way out

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63933
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote