Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Leem

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch, manual base
Unhappy This thing really wants to live, but doesn’t.

So, I bought an ‘08 Yaris hatch base with a manual for super cheap a few weeks back, it cranked with no start when I first tried it. After charging the battery for a while I was able to get it to run enough to get it home. It seems to have a problem getting started and once it does. At idle I shakes really hard and ultimately stalls after a while, I can always bump start it no problem but as soon as I let it idle it gets bad. I’ve replaced all plugs, one coil, the alternator, battery cables, some exhaust gaskets, and the upstream o2 sensor.the o2 sensor cleared up the codes so there is no check engine light. I ended up replacing the starter too. When it runs, it’s great. Just idle is funky. After I did the o2 denser it ran and ildled beautifully. And after a while it died again…. I really need help here
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Leem

running live data on it also shows 50% engine load at idle. It also shows very lean. I’m not quite sure. Exactly how to fix that
Old 08-13-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Clean the MAF sensor as a first and easy must do.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Also, after a battery disconnect it will idle very rough, to the point of stalling or near stall. This is because the ECU has forgotten all the fuel trim settings and needs to relearn them. This is only achieved by getting it out for a 30 minute or so drive.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
Leem

The biggest issue I’m having is when I try to drive it and I come up to a stop it stalls. When I clutch in and get to any lower than 10ish mph it dies, but sometimes it doesn’t and it idles fine. Accessories always kill it and Idle. Because it was running fine until I turned on the air conditioner last night but I’ll definitely give all of that a try. I’m just gonna keep bump starting it and driving it and see if that fixes it. Hopefully it starts better after that because it started right up one time last night
Old 08-15-2022, 02:51 AM   #6
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
What diag so far?
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #7
Leem

No big news yet. I’ve had a conversation with a friend who is a mechanic, and he kind of there could be a problem with the ecu
but that is yet to be confirmed