Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If you want to know what repairs your 200,000 mile car will require

This is the work my wife’s 2005 Camry has required over its 18 years and 196,000 miles. I’m 66 years old and of all the cars I have ever owned or maintained this is the one I’ve had the longest. Maybe one in 20?

Which might be a good argument against religiously maintaining your car!

The car was $22,000 new at the Toyota dealer. We got a 0% loan which we paid off in five years.

Oil was changed more often than 5000 miles the air filters were changed every 30,000 miles per the book. I recommend using the original Toyota air filters they are the best. I used aftermarket oil filters mostly Purolator but also Fram.Only conventional motor oil was used. The car now uses about a quart of oil every 2000 miles. As Far as I know it’s not leaking oil.

The car has had two water pumps and one alternator. All these things happened after 100,000 miles. The belt which drives the alternator water pump etc. was changed at 150,000 miles as were the spark plugs. Neither of the old parts could be told from Nu and probably didn’t need changing. The gasket on the oil drain plug is still the Original gasket and hasn’t leaked a drop.

The transmission oil has never been changed. The oil level on the dipstick has never dropped.

Recently all the struts were changed my brother-in-law did the work and we bought the parts for $1000. Around 150,000 miles he also changed the motor mounts I think that was like $100.

The rear brake Which are drum brakes are the originals they are probably shot as the brake pedal drops pretty far before the brakes take hold. My brother-in-law who is a freelance BMW mechanic says they are fine. The first brake pads were changed on the front wheels at 75,000 miles. I can’t remember how many
sets it’s had, but the originals lasted the longest. I recommend using Toyota brake pads for that reason.

I can’t remember how many batteries it’s had, but the original lasted the longest. The last three batteries including the present one where the cheapest ones Napa sells. The first two lasted three years each the current one is four years old. You can check a battery condition by putting a volt meter on the terminals and cranking the engine while watching a voltmeter. If the voltage drops below 10 V you need a new battery.

That’s about it! If I think of anything else I’ll add it later.

Since of all the cars I’ve owned this one has been around the longest I don’t recommend going overboard with maintenance. Cars come and go for various reasons. Rarely do you try to keep one forever.

If you can learn to do your own maintenance that is a great plus moneywise. Doing your own repairs saves even more. I would guess my expenses for cars over the years was Cut in half by doing my own work.

Last edited by bronsin; 09-13-2022 at 11:41 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Thanks, bronsin. I'm really hoping to keep my 2009 Yaris until the cows come home. I'm fairly diligent in regards to maintenance, so I'm hoping it'll last. I'd rather spend on repair bills than have a car note on a new car.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
bronsin

I had hoped to have my 2009 Yaris three door forever also and I took care of it accordingly. But my son lost his car in an accident so I gave the 2009 to him I think it was in 2018. I really miss the hatchback with the seats folded down in the back it was also my pick up truck!

Add 25,000 miles It need a new water pump which was replaced under warranty. At 35,000 miles the oil pressure sensor blew and most of the oil ran out of the engine. As soon as the red light went on I pulled over and shut the engine off. There was no oil on the dipstick The car was flatbed to Toyota to be repaired I think it was $200. Helpful hint. You can call Toyota customer service and request a rebate I think they gave me $75.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Helpful advice. Thanks, bronsin. How did you know your water pump went out? Are there signs to look for?
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #5
bronsin

Coolant stains on the underside of the hood on the right hand side I think I drove it for a year like that before I had it fixed.

It used to be What a water pump went bad you better fix it right away because it would blow very soon