Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Rutherfordman

Drives: Hatchback
2008 Yaris AT Fluid change

I cannot find in my manual when the automatic trans. fluid is to be changed. I am at 60,000 miles now and cannot find this info or any other fluid change info except oil and coolant. Thanks if anyone can help with this.
Rutherfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
My 09 has "lifetime" ATF-yours may be the same. My manual calls only for a. "check" at 100k.

R2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Kavi

Drives: Yaris
Don't bother about changing AT fluid right now.
Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yeah, I just told my mechanic yesterday not to change it. Check out:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/TS-...0Fluid%20).pdf

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Rutherfordman

Thanks,
Looks like you answered my question. Lifetime transmission fluid, thats a new concept for me at least.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
If you do a lot of freeway miles with no hills, your transmission fluid can probably last hundreds of thousands of miles. But I talked to two different service managers at separate dealerships that both recommended changing at 60k, because I drive through a lot of hills, and I was starting to feel the transmission shift just a little harder. New transmissions aren't cheap, but changing/flushing the fluid is.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darb View Post
It seems to not make sense, but if Toyota say it, it must be so. Pretty darn cool and lowers TCO a bit.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
If you do a lot of freeway miles with no hills, your transmission fluid can probably last hundreds of thousands of miles. But I talked to two different service managers at separate dealerships that both recommended changing at 60k, because I drive through a lot of hills, and I was starting to feel the transmission shift just a little harder. New transmissions aren't cheap, but changing/flushing the fluid is.
I've been hearing bad stories about "total system" flushes. Apparently these procedures can accelerate AT wear rates in some cases. Seems that the best answer is routine AT fluid changes depending upon how one drives.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Rutherfordman

I have had some bad experences with the flushes. I had my 91 Camry done and the fluid that was put in did not smell right. Transmission fluid has a distinct smell when good and a burnt smell when bad. Many of the Toyotas I have worked on have a drain plug in the pan. This is quite handy since you can change roughly half the fluid by just draining the pan. I have a good mechanic friend who was trained in transmissions. He said depending on the mesh of the filter it might can go for awhile before needing to be changed requiring the pan to be dropped. You could tell him the make and model and he usually new the mesh size of the filter. The Yaris is too new for him to know yet. I drive in the mountains so if the pan has a plug I may drain it and refill with Toyo fluid.