Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Middle East
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
tom.schavo

Drives: yet to buy
Should i buy a Toyota Yaris? Is it worth it?

Hi all,

I am sure most of you are yaris fans out here. But please give me a serious advise.

I am currently in Saudi Arabia and plan to stay here for another 4 years probably. I have seen many cars of Toyota like corolla, camry etc, but all are above my budget.

Brand new Yaris fits my budget perfectly. But i have few doubts about it:

1) Can I easily travel 1000 kms in it without any issues? Like going from one city to another in Saudi Arabia by road in Yaris, is this cool with it?

2) Does it have a lot of maintenance? i am going for a brand new car, so anything on this front?

3) Does this car have resale value? I mean, after 4 years, if i get like 50% also, i am cool with it.

4) Is it anywhere close to in comparison with corolla or camry?

Let me know guys plzzzzzzzzzzzz,,i am in a confusion whether to buy this car or not!
tom.schavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I'm sure the Yaris members in the ME will respond as I do and say get it. It is the lowest maintenance car you can buy today. It will handle long trips with ease. Resale value has thus far been very good, but a lot depends on the market when you decide to sell.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
tom.schavo

@altitude:

Does your advise hold good for Saudi Arabia conditions? I mean, temperature, conditions etc.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I think the Yaris is a good car but one thing I would test on it is the A/C to see if it is adequate for your high temperatures.

Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
tom.schavo

Yeah, i forgot to ask you all about the A/C. I really need chilling AC. Because the temperatures in Saudi is like soaring high. Just about half way to boiling point :-)

So is A/C of yaris good for Saudi condition folks?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
We don't get as hot over here, but in the hottest days the AC can struggle. There is a modification you can do, by wrapping some of the AC tubing in the engine bay with insulating foam, to help it cool better, though I have not tried it myself.

Anyway there are a lot of SA Yaris owners on this forum, wait until they answer and you should know all that you need :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
syntax

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2010 "shadow"
I am sure most of you are yaris fans out here. But please give me a serious advise.

I am currently in Saudi Arabia and plan to stay here for another 4 years probably. I have seen many cars of Toyota like corolla, camry etc, but all are above my budget.

Brand new Yaris fits my budget perfectly. But i have few doubts about it:

1) Can I easily travel 1000 kms in it without any issues? Like going from one city to another in Saudi Arabia by road in Yaris, is this cool with it?

yes ! the yaris can travel 1000kms with ease, we have a member who had racked up 260K kilometers without any major issue,

2) Does it have a lot of maintenance? i am going for a brand new car, so anything on this front?

not a lot of maintennace only the usual ( change oil and oil filter,change air filter, rotate tires, lithuim grease here and there)

3) Does this car have resale value? I mean, after 4 years, if i get like 50% also, i am cool with it.

most probable, the resale value is in that range

4) Is it anywhere close to in comparison with corolla or camry?

the cars you mentioned have bigger engine and more roomy, but yaris is a class of it's own, but the yaris can still hold it's own compared to those cars.

AND

we are now 30+ YWME members now,we can assist you in anyway we can
syntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
syntax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.schavo View Post
Yeah, i forgot to ask you all about the A/C. I really need chilling AC. Because the temperatures in Saudi is like soaring high. Just about half way to boiling point :-)

So is A/C of yaris good for Saudi condition folks?
yes, the A/C on a yarii is good in saudi arabia climate, plus it can be better if you do the low pressure line insulation.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
tom.schavo

Thanks syntax. That gives me relief.

I don't drive too fast, so high powered engine really don't matter.

but is there enough space in there? i mean, legs, baggage etc?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
but is there enough space in there? i mean, legs, baggage etc?
Questioning baggage is a very subjective thing. Only you know what it is you intend to carry around. Best to actually look at the car a gauge that for yourself.

As far as leg room. Plenty. Most people who sit in my car cannot believe they are in something so small. I've had 3 large passengers (over 6 ft, 200 lbs) in my car at the same time with nobody pressing their knees or heads against anything.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
tom.schavo

@weeyari:

Yeah, baggage is as you said. I will check it out.

AS far as legroom is concerned, i am 6'4" tall. So will i fit in? :-)

I tried sitting in corolla and camry, camry was okay, but corolla was a little tight fit.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
tom.schavo

@syntax:

Should i opt for second hand or bran new from showroom?

Well, I have 70% of amount to buy new one, and can borrow 30% from my friends. so just want to know if its worth buying new one as against second hand.

As in corolla and camry, seconds do good. Hence asking.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
syntax

Quote:
@syntax:

Well, I have 70% of amount to buy new one, and can borrow 30% from my friends. so just want to know if its worth buying new one as against second hand.

go for the brandnew one, less worries for warranty,insurance etc, just maintain it and drive. . . . ( unless you also do MODS) and their is financing for the remaining 30%, if you cannot borrow from friends just in case.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
@weeyari:

Yeah, baggage is as you said. I will check it out.

AS far as legroom is concerned, i am 6'4" tall. So will i fit in? :-)

I tried sitting in corolla and camry, camry was okay, but corolla was a little tight fit.
I'm 6'4" too. I find the Yaris Liftback comfortable to drive even though my knees can hit the steering column.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
PROX4x4
1.5 or 2.5 both=0-60 in 8

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris
Yaris is a really simple car, I put 4000 mile (6400 km) in it in one week right when i got it, none stop drive for up to 27 hours with breaks just to refill. Started the journy with Synthetic Engine oil and changed the oil when back home.
Not a single issue.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
marble_bearing

Drives: 2008 yaris y silver
Quote:
@syntax:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
go for the brandnew one, less worries for warranty,insurance etc, just maintain it and drive. . . . ( unless you also do MODS) and their is financing for the remaining 30%, if you cannot borrow from friends just in case.
go for the brand new yaris and enjoy the 3 years warranty? i suggest also to get the y model or if the yx model is still available?
marble_bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
marble_bearing

Drives: 2008 yaris y silver
Quote:
@syntax:

by the way yaris sedan is much higher resale value than the liftback model here in saudi arabia? rationale: family status expats prefers sedan type due to the luggage compartment space.
marble_bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
tom.schavo

Guys, how about the sedan model of yaris, will it fit me comfortablly? me being 6'4"?

Thanks Altitude, for your input. Gave me quite a relief. but how about for sedan model? is the seating same?