Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Rove

Drives: Toyota YARIS
Scratching noise when i i move slowly in a costant speed

Hello every one
I know nothing about cars beside driving them , but it doesnt take a genius to understand something is wrong with my Toyota yaris 2007. It keeps making a scratching noise when i am moving slowly , and on a constant speed , i dont hear it when i am moving over 30 km/h but it is very clear when i am moving slow.
Can someone help me , any idea what may have gone wrong with it, so i can have some idea before i send my car to the mechanic and he starts replacing everything he sees and cost me a fortune
Thank you
Rove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Scratching is usually brake related. Pads or shoes could be worn down, caliper could be seized, or a stone stuck in a disc or drum dust shield. Have you been diligent when it comes to servicing your '07 Yaris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Rove

The car was checked last on december 2015, and it iis sent to car service every 15000 km.

Maybe i explained it wrong , I made a video of the car moving slowly where you can hear the noise and maybe understand better what noise i am talking about .
Thank you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uluEN3y0HuI
Old 08-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
wiseguy

Drives: 2105 yaris
Really hard to tell from the video as well, my suggestion is have a friend help you by driving pass help slowly to locate which side of the car the noise is coming from. I agree with weeyari that it most likely coming from the brakes. Another possibility is the axles. A lot can happen since last year, that over 8 months ago. Best bet if you're not to handy with cars, is to bring it to a mechanic youbtrust.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Rove

The noise is coming from the front of the car, is louder on the drivers side, but it is present even in the passenger side. I have scheduled with the mechanic this coming wednesday. I am hoping he finds out what it is without telling me to return again and again if the thing he fixes doesn make the noise go away
Old 08-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Does the noise go away when you apply the brakes?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 AM   #7
Rove

Went this morning to try and see if the noise goes away when i usse the brakes , found my self in another problem, .my yaris 2007 has a push button to start, it didnt work at all. The key opened the car normally, i pressed the brakes the green light on thepush button turned on and then i pushed it like always . I think it worked for like 2 seconds and then everything turned off. Tried again and nothing, the car wont start, no green light on the push button, and when i press my brakes they are very hard to press.the key wont work , it wont close the doors, nothing . I thought of the key battery but it was working fine opened the door normally and everything.does a battery dies like that in an instant, it doesnt make sense ( but again apart from driving acar i know nothing else , like most of the women i think)

Any idea what is wrong with it? How to fix it? I know i should check it at the mechanic, but i cant if i cant make it move.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you
Old 08-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
???????????????????????????

I got nothing.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I bought my car new 6 months ago and a few months after I bought it, it did what you're describing. I read that the brakes might be new and to just brake firm a few times from a highway speed. I did that as it was described but it didn't work. I made an appointment with the local dealer the next morning. When I woke up to go to the dealer the next morning, the sound was gone. The only thing I could surmise is that I got a small stone stuck. I don't really have an answer for you but maybe it's something as benign as that. I'm at 11,200 miles now and the aound never returned. Good luck!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote