Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Keyless question

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this, I just got my 08 Yaris LB a little over a month ago, when we chose it, it didn't come with keyless entry but the dealership said they could install it if I wanted it, so we added it to the contract.

Now, when they installed it, they gave me the regular key back with two separate keyfobs (no key/keyfob type), so they installed an aftermarket keyless system, we asked why and the dealership said they could not install the Toyota keyless system, oh well, we figured we would check with other dealerships and go back once we had something to fall back on.

After using the car I noticed something though, if I lock the car using the button on the door (the one that locks all doors) or if I push the lock button on the fob while a door is open, then I can't unlock the car using the remote. This to me is a fault, I spoke with the dealership and they gave me an appointment to get it fixed, I took it there and once it was done they just gave me the key and sent me off, before leaving *I* tested it and nothing was fixed, they said they changed the unit and that should have fixed it, but they never tested it.

Oh well, they offered to send a 3rd party company to do the work for them and get it fixed. So we made the appointment for them to come to my workplace and get it done. I just got the key back from the guy with 2 new keyfobs, it still does the same freaking thing!!! Now, he doesn't work for the dealership, so I couldn't complain much since apparently the dealership didn't tell him what the darn problem was, they just sent him to change the system, and apparently, according to him, with the work he's done on these cars, that's the way it's supposed to work!!!

Am I being irrational expecting the car to unlock under any circumstance??? Please Yaris people help me figure out if this is really a Yaris problem or are they trying to just make a fool of me?
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
lita_g

no one?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
lita_g

*bump* because I'd like some other Yaris' owner opinion before going to the dealership again.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this, I just got my 08 Yaris LB a little over a month ago, when we chose it, it didn't come with keyless entry but the dealership said they could install it if I wanted it, so we added it to the contract.

Now, when they installed it, they gave me the regular key back with two separate keyfobs (no key/keyfob type), so they installed an aftermarket keyless system, we asked why and the dealership said they could not install the Toyota keyless system, oh well, we figured we would check with other dealerships and go back once we had something to fall back on.

After using the car I noticed something though, if I lock the car using the button on the door (the one that locks all doors) or if I push the lock button on the fob while a door is open, then I can't unlock the car using the remote. This to me is a fault, I spoke with the dealership and they gave me an appointment to get it fixed, I took it there and once it was done they just gave me the key and sent me off, before leaving *I* tested it and nothing was fixed, they said they changed the unit and that should have fixed it, but they never tested it.

Oh well, they offered to send a 3rd party company to do the work for them and get it fixed. So we made the appointment for them to come to my workplace and get it done. I just got the key back from the guy with 2 new keyfobs, it still does the same freaking thing!!! Now, he doesn't work for the dealership, so I couldn't complain much since apparently the dealership didn't tell him what the darn problem was, they just sent him to change the system, and apparently, according to him, with the work he's done on these cars, that's the way it's supposed to work!!!

Am I being irrational expecting the car to unlock under any circumstance??? Please Yaris people help me figure out if this is really a Yaris problem or are they trying to just make a fool of me?

Hmmmm. Sounds like they made some mistakes with the install. I would definitely push for them to fix it.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
sounds like the didnt find the right unlock wire
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
ttry not to use the lock switch in the door. some cars are like that and will confuse the keyless system. i dont know if these cars have problems or not, but i know some cars i have dealt with will do the same thing and nothing can do about it

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
lita_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin83 View Post
ttry not to use the lock switch in the door. some cars are like that and will confuse the keyless system. i dont know if these cars have problems or not, but i know some cars i have dealt with will do the same thing and nothing can do about it
Well, then my question is, considering most everybody in this forum has a yaris, and I assume a lot of people have remote keyless (factory or not), has anyone else noticed a similar problem? and also, for the people that have the factory keyless entry, does it work like that too? or is this an exception?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well, then my question is, considering most everybody in this forum has a yaris, and I assume a lot of people have remote keyless (factory or not), has anyone else noticed a similar problem? and also, for the people that have the factory keyless entry, does it work like that too? or is this an exception?
I have installed remote starters with keyless entry on half a dozen plus cars of various makes and have never encountered an issue like you mention. Tomorrow we will be installing them on my 09 Yaris and Sodium Duck's 08, so I'll check for this anomaly for you. I would agree with the prior mention that your installer probably grabbed the incorrect unlock circuit (or interfaced the keyless entry module to it incorrectly).
Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
lita_g

Yeah, the funny thing is that they've replaced it twice and it still does the same thing, and the last one they put is a different brand and behaves even worse since it takes about 2 seconds for it to lock or unlock after I push the button on the remote. It just really pisses me off, since it seems to be something very simple, but they don't seem to understand the problem when they go in to fix it.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yeah, the funny thing is that they've replaced it twice and it still does the same thing, and the last one they put is a different brand and behaves even worse since it takes about 2 seconds for it to lock or unlock after I push the button on the remote. It just really pisses me off, since it seems to be something very simple, but they don't seem to understand the problem when they go in to fix it.
Exactly - They are just shotgunning the whole unit rather than diagnosing the wiring issue.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #11
battleversiontc

i just checked my 08 that i installed a non factory one into and i can still unlock the car even if i locked the car with the door locks ive also checked out a factory integrated on which is on another yaris and theres still unlock even if i dont use the key fob to lock it. so there for they never grabbed the right unlock wire. i would have them trace back to what they have wired it to instead of changing the module as for the delay i dont know what the issue is with that mine locks as soon as i hit the button and this is a non factory unit which i used its a viper alarm with rs. outta curiosity what brand of keyless did the install?
mecp masters certified
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
lita_g

The one they installed when I bought it (saying they couldn't install the one from Toyota), was one that says "Ultra" on the keyfob, they never gave me a manual for it, then the 2nd one was the same, they just installed a new unit, still no manual. The third one is an Audiovox Pursuit PRO 9845B, at least that one came with a manual but that's the one that delays 2 seconds, the Ultra one didn't delay but still had the unlocking problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
battleversiontc

ive never heard of the first one they installed. the audiovox is crappy they actually alway had delays when i use to install them then my shop changed to viper products they where built better and didnt have any issues i would tell them just to install a viper or if not take it to somebody to put a better system in like viper. cause the one you have this is only the beginning of your problems sorry to say but i ve dealt with alot of different alarms in the past and i find the cheap ones suck but the more expensive ones work the best with least amount of problems. by the way how much did they charge you to install that plus the product?
mecp masters certified
Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
lita_g

I don't know for sure how much they added to the price, I bought the car new and it didn't come with keyless, I requested the car with keyless, so they installed that and kept saying they couldn't install the factory one since it didn't come with it. According to the toyota site, the keyless feature (if you build your own) is about $230. I didn't choose the system they installed, I just assumed they were going to install the Toyota system and well, now I'm stuck dealing with these morons.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I installed a power lock and keyless kit from a1electric and it works kind of like yours. If you lock the doors by using the switch on the door, then you will not be able to unlock it with the remote....but you can hit lock on the remote(which doesn't make a sound in the car) and then you can hit unlock on the remote and then it will work. I think that some aftermarket systems are not intergrated enough with the power locks to have a reverse effect(locking door with switch, and unlocking with remote) The keyless box doesn't know that you have locked the doors with the switch. It only gets its comands from the remote. So if the last signal received was "unlock," then the box still thinks the doors are unlocked. Therefore when you hit unlock on the remote(after locking with door switch) the system does nothing since it thinks the doors are all ready unlock.

Also, on my system you can lock the doors with the remote when the doors are open. It sounds like that on your system it might be some type of override feature to prevent you from locking your keys in the car.....just an idea
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
lita_g

I also tried locking with the fob after it wouldn't unlock and it still didn't unlock, so yes, I tried that, which makes it seem to me like they did something wrong in the installation, otherwise it would do what yours does. And when I lock the doors with the remote when the doors are open, it doesn't unlock them after they're closed either.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
I also tried locking with the fob after it wouldn't unlock and it still didn't unlock, so yes, I tried that, which makes it seem to me like they did something wrong in the installation, otherwise it would do what yours does. And when I lock the doors with the remote when the doors are open, it doesn't unlock them after they're closed either.
Sounds like you should have just bought the $35 kit and spent the 30 minutes it takes to put it on.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK - We have the solution. After Sodium Duck and I finished installing the remote starter / Keyless Entry on his 2008 Liftback we were able to recreate the exact issue (unintentionally, as that is how all aftermarket and DIY wiring documents indicated to wire it). We found that the issue was that the unlock wire should not be the orange wire in the dirver's side kick panel, but rather the green wire. The image below indicates the correct wires to use for lock and unlock. When the orange wire is used all doors unlock with a single pulse, but if someone manually locks the door with the door button, you can not unlock them with the remote. When the correct wire is used (the green one) the driver's door unlocks with the first pulse (i.e. click of the unlock button of the remote) and the rest unlock on the second pulse. With both his Valet and my Ultra Start we were able to program the systems to put out two pulses on one click, as we both prefer a single click unlocking all doors.

So, give the picture below to your installer, and you will be all set...