Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
deancgibbons
Viva la Yaris!

Drives: Yaris 07
Aftermarket install Warranty question

I searched for a direct answer to this question, didn't find one, sorry if it's a repeat. I'm looking to put some new speakers into my car and am wondering how this affects the warranty of the vehicle? I have an 07 2dr lift-back with a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty as well as a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Will this affect either? Thanks
deancgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
deancgibbons
Viva la Yaris!

Drives: Yaris 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
You are protected by the Magnusson Moss Act...Unless the dealer can prove that any failure is cased by the aftermarket part, they cannot deny warranty claims...

http://www.pt-tuning.com/policies/Magn-Moss-Act.html

Cheers
Hey, thanks a lot!
deancgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Or just make sure you use speaker adapators and not chop the factory wires. Then they cant claim anything since you havent modified any electrical.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris

If you put new speakers in, toyota is not gonna cover the speakers, but the manufacturer of the speakers should. Speakers aren't gonna hurt anything else in the car, so I'm not sure what you're worried about.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Or just make sure you use speaker adapators and not chop the factory wires. Then they cant claim anything since you havent modified any electrical.
+1

they can claim you have hacked up the system doing the install...i mean, it would REALLY be reaching, and under the current legal standards for warranty refusal, if you took them to court, they would have to prove that your splicing the wires directly caused the problem they won't cover...not likely.

I would say the only car electronics stuff I saw the dealerships I worked at put up a warranty stink over is car alarm or remote start systems. improperly installed or malfunctioning hardware can cause intermitent drivability issues that customers in the past had tried to blame on the manufacturer. the claims were denied if the dealer could prove that the damage or fault was caused by the alarm or remote start system.

as far as speakers go, i doubt a dealer would claim anything would be caused by new speakers. if you are worried pick up the little harnesses that clip into the factory speaker plugs so you dont alter or cut the factory harness. they are like 5 bucks at wallyworld or parts express if i remember right.

Tags
install, speaker, warranty