Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
zenyvitz
I've made a post!

Drives: Vitz 2006
Question Help needed! RE: Spare Smart Key

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 japanese import Vitz second-hand, and I'm loving it so far!
However it only came with one key fob, so I am hoping to get a spare. My local Toyota dealership quoted $1000 NZ dollars (about $830 USD) which seems a little bit outrageous.
After doing some research it appears as if I should be able to order another key fob online, and get it programmed to my Vitz. Where can I order them from, and how do I make sure it is compatible with my car? (I have included a picture of the key fob).

thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keyfob.jpg (49.4 KB, 522 views)
zenyvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
welcome to YW!

That does sound a wee bit outragous! retail on those type of keys here is usually 200-250 US $ for the part (without the slide in key, thats another $100). As to compatibility, I'm not sure. did the dealership put the part number on the estimate?

I only have USDM cataloging here, and we don't get fancy stuff like that lol
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
bahri_3

Drives: TOYOTA VITZ
I am as well in the search for one like in the above picture.. Did you eventually found a seller for these smart key ones?
bahri_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I recently shipped a used one (that I acquired from Japan) to a gentleman from NZ. He attempted to program his ECM with the new key using a TechStream, but was having trouble doing so. It now appears that the keys may only be able to be programmed to a car once, making used ones worthless. If that proves to be true, that will really limit your options for purchasing additional ones, as there are no clone keys, just authentic (and expensive) Toyota ones.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #5
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Hi zenyvitz. The gentleman that CTscott is referring to is me,

zenyvitz, if you PM me I can help you find a blank smartkey for about half what the dealer quoted you. I talked to Giltrap City Toyota and they got some old stock that they are willing to sell at discount.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I realize this isnt help the OP but cant help but comment chipped keys and things like them you do not want!

WHo would steal a Vitz/Yaris?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Smart keys are not only for security but they are also like a premium feature. Being able to just put the key in your pocket and then you can unlock the door just by touching the handle. Starting by just pressing a button.

I like the smart key its a nice thing to have, genuinely saves me time fumbling for keys. However what I dont like is getting a duplicate costs big time. I only have one key at the moment and I am trying to find another one. If I lose this key I will be royally screwed.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Cool_Guy
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Spare Smart Key

Hi all,

I am having the same problem. Got only one smart remote key as in the picture you uploaded. I am trying to figure out where to purchase an additional smart key and add same to the car, just in case the remote is broken or stolen or lost.

Having a spare key only let you have access in the car but it wont start the car as the remote contain a proximity sensor and activate the ignition.

Anyone resolved this issue or found an alternate solution.

Thanks for helping.

Cool_Guy
Cool_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Won't ebay be able to help? I got a clean key from it for my 2007 yaris sedan. I think the programming method is the same so you can DIY at home instead of going to dealer.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
Won't ebay be able to help? I got a clean key from it for my 2007 yaris sedan. I think the programming method is the same so you can DIY at home instead of going to dealer.
No. The smart keys require the Toyota service tool. There is no method for adding one without it.

Tags
key, smart, vitz