Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
2010yarisHBbase

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris hatchback
Question 2010 yaris hatchback base (more power)

Hello I'm new to this forum but I've been on the site a lot whenever I need information about yarises. I have a stock base 2010 yaris hatchback 5dr and I want more power out of it. what turbo or supercharger would go with my engine? also engine swaps are not out of the question but they require more money and knowledge and I am limited on both, however, I'd love to hear all options available. Thank you
2010yarisHBbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
lol, start with wheels tires and suspension the car is fast enough, i track my yaris regularly and regret doing all this cylinder head work as i still cant get the car to hook around corner exits.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #3
2010yarisHBbase

the car is very slow especial my heavier 5 dr. more power is always fun
Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 AM   #4
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010yarisHBbase View Post
Hello I'm new to this forum but I've been on the site a lot whenever I need information about yarises. I have a stock base 2010 yaris hatchback 5dr and I want more power out of it. what turbo or supercharger would go with my engine? also engine swaps are not out of the question but they require more money and knowledge and I am limited on both, however, I'd love to hear all options available. Thank you
There was the Blitz supercharger and Zage turbo kit for the 1NZ-FE engine in your car, both are hard to find. But for the amount of power they're going to get you, might as well drop in a Corolla engine, 2ZR-FE, it weighs the same as the engine in our car, use that as the base for your engine mod or keep it stock. The 2ZR is also the same engine in the Scion xD, except detuned by about 10HP, not sure if it's the PCM or different injectors or something, or both. It's better to look for a donor xD, as all of the parts for it are straight bolt in, with the exception of a wire for the MAF I believe, need to find a way to power it up. Check out this thread: https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56678

If you want to experiment, try the 2AR-FE from a Scion tC or RAV4. The engine I'm thinking of dropping in. This engine will be heavier though, I recommend upgrading to the 2012 SE disc rotors all around to help you stop better. And it won't be a straight bolt in, will need lots of work and experimentation if any of the OEM mount from the other vehicle would work, probably would need to fabricate them. Although the plugs to the PCM might match, it will most likely need to be rewired. The exhaust header will be up front again like in the earlier cars, and just like in the 1.0L Yaris. So don't worry the subframe already have a channel to route the exhaust.
This guy put it in an MR-S, and upped the rev limit to 8200!!! Yes, it's a 1AR-FE, but it's the same engine as the 2AR, just stroked.

And if you really want to, shoe in a 2GR-FE, then you'd have "GR" Yaris...
I've seen a picture of it in a Yaris, here you go, post #5 in this thread: https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57137

Now if you want to bite the forbidden fruit, then a KSwap...
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49933
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
You can always add lightness, too.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
pfft, rotary swap or nothing.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
If you want to go to Colorado, I bet PFI speed could get that swap working. K series swap would be pretty amazing, especially if it's a K20.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
pfft, rotary swap or nothing.
Question is, 2 rotors or 3?
Old 03-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #9
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Question is, 2 rotors or 3?

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #10
2010yarisHBbase

Quote:
There was the Blitz supercharger and Zage turbo kit for the 1NZ-FE engine in your car, both are hard to find. But for the amount of power they're going to get you, might as well drop in a Corolla engine, 2ZR-FE, it weighs the same as the engine in our car, use that as the base for your engine mod or keep it stock. The 2ZR is also the same engine in the Scion xD, except detuned by about 10HP, not sure if it's the PCM or different injectors or something, or both. It's better to look for a donor xD, as all of the parts for it are straight bolt in, with the exception of a wire for the MAF I believe, need to find a way to power it up. Check out this thread: https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56678

If you want to experiment, try the 2AR-FE from a Scion tC or RAV4. The engine I'm thinking of dropping in. This engine will be heavier though, I recommend upgrading to the 2012 SE disc rotors all around to help you stop better. And it won't be a straight bolt in, will need lots of work and experimentation if any of the OEM mount from the other vehicle would work, probably would need to fabricate them. Although the plugs to the PCM might match, it will most likely need to be rewired. The exhaust header will be up front again like in the earlier cars, and just like in the 1.0L Yaris. So don't worry the subframe already have a channel to route the exhaust.
This guy put it in an MR-S, and upped the rev limit to 8200!!! Yes, it's a 1AR-FE, but it's the same engine as the 2AR, just stroked.

And if you really want to, shoe in a 2GR-FE, then you'd have "GR" Yaris...
I've seen a picture of it in a Yaris, here you go, post #5 in this thread: https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57137

I appreciate the feed back this is exactly what I was looking for an engine swap is hard but from doing research I saw that you're right. it'll give me more hop for my $. But since I'm leaving California and going to Houston, car laws are going to be more lenient. Also im looking for aroung 250hp or 300 if im being hopeful. do you think that's unreachable?
Old 03-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #11
remcafee

id just do all motor 1nzfe with final drive from an xb and lightened flywheel and call it done, it will plenty fast
Old 03-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010yarisHBbase View Post
I appreciate the feed back this is exactly what I was looking for an engine swap is hard but from doing research I saw that you're right. it'll give me more hop for my $. But since I'm leaving California and going to Houston, car laws are going to be more lenient. Also im looking for aroung 250hp or 300 if im being hopeful. do you think that's unreachable?
Just like most things, it all depends on your budget and which engine you're swapping, if it's the 2AR or K swap, you can get there easily. But those require lots of modifications and rewiring.

The 2ZR like mentioned before is straightforward, my guesstimate for NA application is around 150-165HP at the wheels with I/H/E upgrade and still be streetable, and that's plenty, that's almost doubles the stock WHP. I've seen a 2ZR outfitted with the 2ZZ intake runner! I'm giving out my secrets.
Turbo is another option, but the hard part about it is tuning the stock PCM/ECU. Those who have cracked the stock Toyota's PCM/ECU seems to be keeping the information to themselves for profit. Unlike Honda, with the HONDATA, once you have the added circuit board installed, you can mess with the settings all you want. You could piggy back or get a standalone, but again lots of money and that's a lot of setting that you'd have to mess with to get all the amenities functions to work like the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
id just do all motor 1nzfe with final drive from an xb and lightened flywheel and call it done, it will plenty fast
I'm not sure what the xB's final drive is, is it's the same as the xD's? The xD's manual transmission has the same 1st to 5th gear ratio as the Yaris, except the final gear ratio, which higher. I'd go with higher final drive, and just swap out the 5th gear with the C6X 6th gear for highway crusing. Giving out my secrets again.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
remcafee

i know the xbs final drive is is pretty high, like 4.5 or something i know that my car accelerates way faster with it compared to stock final drive, you can actually beat most regular vehicles on the road now unlike before i was the slowest thing rolling around except maybe a mitsubishi mirage
Old 03-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #14
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
i know the xbs final drive is is pretty high, like 4.5 or something i know that my car accelerates way faster with it compared to stock final drive, you can actually beat most regular vehicles on the road now unlike before i was the slowest thing rolling around except maybe a mitsubishi mirage
I just looked them all up, they all have the same 1st - 5th & reverse gear rations, BUT, the xB’s final gear ratio is the highest, which yields the best torque on the ground.

Yaris - 3.25
xD - 3.94
xB (1st GEN) - 4.31

But, I think I’ll still prefer the xD since it should have better fuel economy than the xB, and better torque than the Yaris, that’s just me, nothing wrong with the xB’s, definitely great track transmission.

Tags
1nfze, hatchback, stock, yaris