Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
custom sub box

hey all, i have a 12" shallow sub mounted in a sealed custom box. i am planning on remaking my box (i break it atleast once a month) my old ones have been made of wood but i want to make one out of fiberglass. how is fiberglass as a sub box medium? in my entire system the sub box has been the weakest link so far.

i know sealed box isnt the best so if anyone can give me some pointers to making a small ported box let me know. i dont know the subs ported specs off top of my head, but sealed box specs were 0.6cubic feet. as a guide the sub sits where my spare is ment to go.

also the box is anything but a "normal" shape

my biggest problem is i dont even know where to start with this project. any opionions are welcome.

thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Sealed boxes tend to give better quality sound,but not the highest output. It take much more power in a sealed box to get the same output of a ported box. 1st thing I'd do, is go tot the MFG of the woofer and see what size ported box they recommend, and go from there. An all fiberglass enclosure would need alot of internal deadening material I would think and be real thick.Otherwise you will get ALOT of resonance through the box. I'm no expert, but thats how I see it. I would google fiberglass sub box and see what you come up with. After you find out what size box they recommend. What sub and amp are you using?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
yaris2010RS

are ported boxes designed differently? i know bandpass is fucked to make urself but does a normal ported box have any channels inside? or is it just a sealed box with a hole? (hole and box to MFG specs)
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
They are different size boxes and the port is sized to tune for a certain frequency. Example: I have a 8" sub for my yaris. The sealed box is suposed to be a .3 cu ft box, but the ported box should be .6 with a port thats 3" diameter and 5 3/8" long. This will tune it for 40hz. Or if you use a slotted port its 1" by 10" long and the port goes down one side and across half the back.(inside of course). This is tuned for 43hz. and port design will affect sound round ports are flared on one or both ends. The ones with flares on one side may be prone to "chuffing" .....kinda of a poof,pooof noise when air goes around a rough opening . So flares on both ends are smoother. So you see, if done right, it aint that simple. But the results are worth it. I ended up getting a ported box with a slotted port. As a matter of fact I was installing the speaker in the box to night. (after I got done putting a new brake caliper and new brakes on my sons car, and bleeding all four brakes....),lol Busy evening........
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Try THIS and have fun...

D.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
yaris2010RS

i have been on that link before.....to be honest its chinese to me (i am not chinese) so far with the boxes i have made it has been trial and error but that will be a huge costly mistake with fiberglass and a PIA. whats the best way to test the shape and size? been thinking of making it out of carboard for now and getting more of a visual idea