Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
PooZapper

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
First time poster and car owner! 2010 Yaris Sedan. Maintenance tips?

Hello!

Not sure if I am posting in the right place, firs time poster. I have a 2010 Yaris Sedan with 137,000 I just purchased. I am changing the spark plugs, oil/transmission fluid.

Is there anything else you guys would do? I am learning about car maintenance and would like to continue to take great care of my car, as the previous owner did.

I appreciate your time and comments!
PooZapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Check the air filter and replace if needed.

Put a voltmeter on the battery while you crank the engine. If the voltage drops below 10 V while cranking you need a new battery.

Changing the coolant is easy. Use the radiator drain on my car all the coolant comes out through this drain
Old 07-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Cabin filter, some didn't come with the filter installed. But a new one drops right in.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
belt...its simple and you have no idea how old it is
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
k98shooter

Drives: 2012 Yaris Hatchback 3 door
Unless you have car service history, I would take off front wheels and check condition of brake rotors and pads. Make sure pads have enough thickness left. If pads are too thin, replace before they ruin rotors. It is good time to check CV joint boots, play in ball joints and outer tie rods.
k98shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:44 AM   #6
sh0rtlife

^^^ good point also may as well check and adjust the rear drums too and check for any odd bearing play
Old 07-12-2022, 02:23 AM   #7
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Brake liquid needs changing. Liquid manufacturers recommend chaning it every year, in reality it is perfectly safe to do it once in two years, some people do it once in 5 years and some do not even know that brake fluid exists...

But brake fluid absorbs water (the more water it absorbs, the easier it is to start boiling and you certainly do not want to have boiling water in your brakes after heavy braking).

It is actually quite easy to do it on your own but you may wish to let the authorized service center do it for the first time - sometimes it is tought to crack-open the bleeders so let them handle that. You can then do the next change yourself.

And do not forget to bleed the clutch as well!

Apart from brakes you may also wish to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Usually it is not critical but your engine will love you afterwards. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd spray some fluid film at the rear abs sensors to keep them from rust jacking. Also put some dielectric grease in those connectors.
Remove and inspect/replace/grease the front control arm bolts.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Brake liquid needs changing. Liquid manufacturers recommend chaning it every year, in reality it is perfectly safe to do it once in two years, some people do it once in 5 years and some do not even know that brake fluid exists...

But brake fluid absorbs water (the more water it absorbs, the easier it is to start boiling and you certainly do not want to have boiling water in your brakes after heavy braking).

It is actually quite easy to do it on your own but you may wish to let the authorized service center do it for the first time - sometimes it is tought to crack-open the bleeders so let them handle that. You can then do the next change yourself.

And do not forget to bleed the clutch as well!

Apart from brakes you may also wish to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Usually it is not critical but your engine will love you afterwards. :)
as someone who has race cars and some heavy street performance rigs, and even collector cars i can tell you a few things about brake fluid

#1 if the fluid is still clean and clear its typicaly good for about for 10+ years after that its still good till you feel brake pedal fade
#2 if the fluids dark change it PERIOD, age doesnt matter if its spent
#3 milage cant be taken into account either again clean and clear is good dark is bad, this could be 10,000 miles it could easily be 200,000 miles its about how its used
#4 heat...heat cycling of the fluid is what breaks it down and causes it to typicaly get moisture in it, the harder you brake the shorter the life of the fluid PERIOD

all said if you run a GOOD quality fluid and theres no issues with your system and you dont drive on the edge fluid can easily last decades without issue..personaly i run ATE in everything, the 07 yaris is going to get its first fluid change here end of the week as the brakes are showing fade, while the fluids been clean and clear its just starting to change..just gotta pickup my braided lines
Old 07-13-2022, 01:23 AM   #10
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I have massive respect for your knowledge and skills sh0rtlife, that is the first thing I need to say.

Myself I would be actually quite scared to wait with brakes maintenance until brakes are showing fade. Especially considering I am not a pro driver and I may easily overlook the first symptoms.

I have checked the official service guide for my 2007 Yaris - for the brake fluid it says "change every 24 months". I understand they need to stay on the safe side at all cost - and it is acceptable for me, especially considering the precious cargo this old car needs to transport.

I might be a bit too obsessed but I do not care that much if my engine consumes some oil, if my wheel wells are a bit rusty etc... good car is all about reliable brakes for me. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:33 AM   #11
sh0rtlife

the "24 month" standard is well standard across most makes and models entirely based on what the average driver puts on a cars brakes

the real fact tho is a system thats in good shape thats not driven hard can last decades...theres only a handfull of cars that i know of that actualy NEED the fluid changed more often ..IE multi piston disc brakes..like my alfas..the fluid in them needs to be changed every few years due to the way the calipers work ..the rears will sieze up

the simplicity of the yaris..especialy the non ABS unit..its as simple as anything with disc brakes from the 60/70s..simple and pretty well idiot proof

the brake fade that im getting is miniscule only noteable by the fact the pedal travel is a lil longer when it happens..the braking power isnt so much diminished so much as it takes more foot movement, this 07 hasnt been driven hard or alot up untill this year and last..with only 170k kilometers on it....its still new LOL

IMO the 2 best times to do brake fluid on a "simple" car is at every second set of brakes, if driven hard every time you get brakes...any more often than that is typicaly a waste of time and money, otherwise change it if it gets dark......which if you check with the average milage...aligns with said 24mo
Old 07-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
welcome

all those previous comments are good suggestions on maintenance to perform on these cars especially the brake fluid replacement. IMO you only need to replace that every 8-10 yrs. I just did mine last year it's an easy diy process and only takes a couple hours. good luck
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote