Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Harman Kardon Drive + Play for IPOD

Anyone have this in their Yaris? If so, it it any good? Is the aux input on the factory stereos being used by the mp3 jack?
Old 07-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
xenoxaos

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
Anyone have this in their Yaris? If so, it it any good? Is the aux input on the factory stereos being used by the mp3 jack?

I installed mine after about a month of dealing with my iPod floating around on my passenger seat. I love it. The aux input is used by the aux jack, afaik. I ended up cutting the plug off in the back of the stereo and soldering a 1/8" stereo plug onto it so I could plug it directly into the D+P. You will have to solder in a (I believe) 3.3Kohm resister with the 2nd red wire and ground to tell the stereo that there IS an aux input available to use. But, in other words, this is the best option, IMO, for getting an iPod in your Yaris.

Pictures of the D+P installed in my Yaris S:
http://picasaweb.google.com/xenoxaos...ayInstallation
xenoxaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
nice installation. I think I will probably do the same thing. I like the fact that the Yaris has an input but I dont like having to control the IPOD by holding it up to my face while driving. Thanks for posting the pics of your install!!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
jbll

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
In my car I installed an alpine HU with full speed! It allow the iPod to charge while driving, it display the song info on the screen and the Hu can control the ipod!!

Did you have a HB or a sedan?

Did you installed it on the stock 6 CD radio?
jbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
xenoxaos

OK. Now for the bad news. Are you anygood at soldering? If you are, I'll give u the way that I did mine. If not, then you can still do it, it just wont be as clean. I will save you my headache from install.
Parts/tools you'll need:
Drill and bits(if you want to put it in the console like mine, you'll need a half inch bit)
Cable ties (big and little, some come with the D+P but not enough)
several feet of approx 16-18 ga stranded wire
scotch locks (1)
Crimping wire splicer(hooks 2 wires together, dont remember the exact name)
crimp on spade connector(female)
crimp on bolt connector(for ground)
3.3Kohm resistor (orange orange red)
electrical tape or heat shrink tubing
solder, portable soldering iron (or plug in and extension cord, you'll have to do the soldering in your car)
patience

1st step: Plug it in and make sure it works, if you're going to mound the display on the glass like I did, you'll have to unscrew the mouting bracket on the back of the display first. Do this before you start drilling holes, etc, because my screw stripped and I had to take it back and exchange it. But, plug it all in, there's a cig. lighter attachment to power it from that.

2. Tear apart your dash, get the radio out, get ready to get some stuff done.
3. Get power for the unit. There's three leads that you use to power it, 12v, gnd, and Acc. The 12v I got from the fuse block. There's going to be a picture on my install page shortly. Crimp the female spade terminal on the end of the wire and run it from behind the stereo over to the fuse block behind the storage space thats right near your left knee. Dont plug it in yet, but make sure its long enough. Cut it off, and run another length to the underside of the cig lighter, and use the scotch lock to connect it to the positive wire on the cig lighter. (I chose getting ACC here so I didnt accidently cut the very thin wire that goes into the stereo) and run it up behind the stereo as well. The ground I got off of the metal frame beneath the steering wheel, crimp the bolt eye onto the wiring that comes with the D+P, the black wire = ground. now use the wire joiners to join the yellow and red wires(i dont remember which is 12v, and which is acc) to their respective wires that u ran. zip tie everything behind the stereo to the metal frame back there on the left.

4. If you're going to put it in the console like me, take out the center console...there's some 10mm bolts in the bottom of the console, and i think some more at the front...should come out. Flip it over and you'll see a nice circle spot under it that looks perfect, and almost intended for what I did. drill a hole and run the ipod dock connector wire through it and up to behind the stereo, plug it in.

5. pop out one of the squares by the Ebrake and drill a hole where you think it would best go. follow the instructions in the D+P manual to move the wire from surface mount to through hole mount. (i picked puttin it here because it was easy, comfortable, and if i screwed it up, its cheaper to buy a square thingee instead of the whole big plastic piece. run the wire, use the sticky stuff and stick it on, and plug the square plastic piece and control back into the main piece. run the wire up behind the stereo and bundle the excess with a ziptie and plug it into the unit.

6. Stick the mounting bracket onto the windshield, and run the wire down the side....there's a hole inside the dash just under the vent you can use to feed the wire so you dont have to make it go all the way around and back up again. just lift the dash up a bit and you'll see it....run it to the unit and bundle up the excess wire.

Now, the optional part...If you dont want to have a wire coming out of the center and plugging into the aux port, you'll have to do some soldering. On the right most plug on the stereo, there's 5 wires. a red by itself, a green, grey, and red right next to each other, and a white in the other row. there's a wrapping running down the wire where it joins with the other two plugs, you'll see what I mean when you get back there. strip the black plastic off of the bundle so you can see the wires inside. as far back as you can, cut the two red, the green, and the gray wires....leave the white, i dont know what it does so i LEFT IT ALONE! take the stereo plug to 2 rca plugs cable that came with the D+P and cut the two rca plugs off. strip the wires back, solder the grounds together, and then solder 3 things together: the grounds from the cable that came with the D+P, the grey wire from the plug, and one end of the 3.3Kohm resistor, tape them up, heat shrink whatever. then solder the green wire to the white wire in the cable that you nipped off, and then the red wire in the cable to the red wire that is closest to the grey one. those are your left and right inputs. that 2nd red wire is to signal to the stereo that there is an aux-in available, solder that to the other end of the 3.3Kohm resistor. that tells the stereo that "oooh, there's something plugged in to me" tape,heatshring everything up so nothing touches and connect everything in the back, cable tie everything down and out of the way, and put everything back together. turn on car and give it a whirl.

WOOHOO...music

http://picasaweb.google.com/xenoxaos...ayInstallation
Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
xenoxaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbll
In my car I installed an alpine HU with full speed! It allow the iPod to charge while driving, it display the song info on the screen and the Hu can control the ipod!!

Did you have a HB or a sedan?

Did you installed it on the stock 6 CD radio?
I have the 07 sedan with power package, it has the big stereo thats part of the center molding, ergo not possible, yet, to install an aftermarket stereo. My dad has a pioneer avic-z1 in his hummer with the ipod attachment, and personally....i like the D+P a helluva lot better. the navigation is so much easier and faster than on his stereo.