Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Noob on the rise...

I'm really getting into those suspension this n that but I dunno what most of those things are or do.

What does any of those red BAR (over the engine, under the car rear wheel, sway bar? any bars)

What are each and why would I spend the $ for it?

sorry for been such a nub....

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
If you search on the topic a bit, you'll find exactly what you need. go to Wikipedia and search. The bar in the engine compartment is called a "sway" bar. That should get you started.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Save your money and get shocks and springs first. You'll spend $1000 on every bar known to mankind and your car wont handle half as good as it would with those two mods.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Blenjar

Gotcha

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
post pics of the bars in question and we'll tell you where they go (make sure they are the yaris application ones).
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Impresive-G

Drives: 2007 Vitz Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Impresive-G
Oh man. You are a noob. Ok ill save you some time. Just bear with me with the pics dont worry abotu the brand.

The Basics

These are coilovers:

"What they do is lower the ride hight and give you a bit of stiffness to your handeling. So you car will no longer give you that body roll when you turn. Also Improves handeling. durr"

They are fairly expensice and each brand are different. Some are more stiffer then the other. Dont buy very expensive ones because they are for either professionals or have been driving and testing for new setups. So Start with Tien'ss IMO.

Strut Tower/Braces:

"This is what goes over the engine and at the very back where your trunk is located. What they do is stiffen the chasie from bending and giving you a bit of a stiffer ride. Its a must get if your going to be track racing or touge. You dont want to cause any frame damage. These do go over your suspension as well."

Ok more detaild stuff:

There are lower strut braces that go below the car. That is also a must have but then agian for thoughs who drive hard.

Lower control arms, toe links, tie rods, tension rods, traction rods, control arms, camber arms, the list goes on.

All they do is give you a better handling. Which is good only you like doing track days or touge runs. Other then that, its not worth buying if your car is oging to be a daily driver. It is uncomfortable and the ladys wont like it.

,___,
[O.o] O'RLY?
/)__)
-"--"-
Current: 2007 Toyota Yaris
History: 1988 Toyota Tercel (sold), 1993 Nissan 240SX (sold)
Impresive-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Um, no.

Randomly throwing every aftermarket goodie on your car won't necessarily give you better handling. The trick is to know how your car drives in the first place and mod it accordingly. Read up on the basic definitions of what things like oversteer and understeer are. After that, go tear your car up for a few minutes. Take some turns and see where you could use improvement. Then go read up on what all of these parts do to the physcis of the car. Only then will you know what mods are necessary and what mods aren't.

This is the difference between a tuner and a ricer.

These mods don't "give you better handling" persay. They affect the physics of your car in a turn... whether for the better or for the worse.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Blenjar

Oh thx..lol

What is the whole deal with HID kits and so on...explain that one while your at it..i want a better understanding..

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Impresive-G

word

what he said

,___,
[O.o] O'RLY?
/)__)
-"--"-
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Impresive-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
Oh thx..lol

What is the whole deal with HID kits and so on...explain that one while your at it..i want a better understanding..

-- Blen
Just go to Wikipidia dood. Theres a long way to go. Dont be like my friend Jeremie and give up. Just keep searching and reading.

,___,
[O.o] O'RLY?
/)__)
-"--"-
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
Blenjar

im 2 lzy...

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Haha.

All you need to know about HID's is that they are expensive and worth every penny.

An HID system will give you about 100% more range than the stock halogens, but they require clever wiring including a ballast for each light that you mount in the engine bay. Many HID kits also don't include high beams. You can get them in different colors. The color depends on the wavelength. For road use, color will range from a bright clear white (4300K) to a blueish/purplish white (8000K+). You can also get crazy colors from an HID kit, but it isn't practical for anything short of a show car. That is about all I know... now go research your damn self! Haha.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
im 2 lzy...

-- Blen
google > you :p
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #14
Blenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Haha.

All you need to know about HID's is that they are expensive and worth every penny.

An HID system will give you about 100% more range than the stock halogens, but they require clever wiring including a ballast for each light that you mount in the engine bay. Many HID kits also don't include high beams. You can get them in different colors. The color depends on the wavelength. For road use, color will range from a bright clear white (4300K) to a blueish/purplish white (8000K+). You can also get crazy colors from an HID kit, but it isn't practical for anything short of a show car. That is about all I know... now go research your damn self! Haha.
THX!
When you mean HID Kits, you mean that 1 round shaped huge bulb doesn't ahve the capability to do high beams? Or you mean some don't and others do?

Anyway for instance..if I wanna do a HID Kit..
get practice headlight...heat it...take it apart...(do some blackhousing process while im at it) when that's done..I try to fit that huge bulb into that little place..that means I gotta cut the reflector and stuff and make sure it fits outside in my engine place..u know?

The hard part would but to sumhow hustle and customize your normal H4 bulbs housing to fit the new round shaped HID than bake everythign back together?
sumthin like V said on his eyebrown tuts...http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75144
What's a ballast?

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

BLENJAR> < GOOGLE
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #16
Blenjar

Say, don't the reflector get damage when you bake it first...it looked like it did on that TC headlight...

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Blenjar

lmao!!

-- Blen
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
Blenjar

OH yea where can I get hte basic tools for all these stuff..Like a nice car tool pkg n stuff..got a link?

-- Blen