Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
IF i do 16x7 front and 17x7 on rear wheels???

just curious since im getting new shoes i was thinking upfront 16x7 with 196/50/16 tires and 17x7 on the rear or 16x7 with wider tires. ?? easy on the comment..

ill do the first one.." what the heck would i want to do that " ..just for the looks.. but dotn know if mpg will be affected.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
MPG will be effected b/c you have more weight it needs to pull.

if you're looking for a way to space the rear wheels/tires out more, there are some very simple solutions that wont require different wheels/tires front and rear. :) [Insert website plug]

a wider rear tire will hurt the overall handling of the yaris as well, causing more rear grip (thus creating a car with more tendency to understeer).

I say keep the wheels/tires the same front and rear and space out the rear slightly to get the look you want.

or find away to stuff a wider tire both front and rear.

IMHO.

-Drew
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If it is ONLY because you want the look, then that is up to you. I do not think it's a good look for the car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
it's only a 1" difference in diameter. many factory cars do this (but are RWD) and generally you can't even tell the diameter difference (late model MR2 spyders were 15" front and 16" rear). what's more important than diameter if you're going for looks is OFFSET! get a nice 7" width and a +35 front (or lower, talk to KNGRSLL about that). then in the rear you can get +40 and pick up a set of 10 or 13mm rear hub spacers (insert website plug here) to get the desired offset without the extra weight of the low-offset 17" wheel. (the lower the offset, the higher the weight of the wheel, generally, and especially in a 17" diameter). remember too, that if you have ABS, you're going to want to get your overall tire diameter as close to equal f/r as possible, as each wheel senses speed. no need to screw with your ABS computer
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Yeah, if you're going for a more flush fit front to rear, then you could use a 10mm spacer in the rear. Or, if you find wheels offered with a choice of offsets, then stagger. In Japan, staggered offsets are a common fitment on the Vitz; for example, 17x7, 205/40/17, FR/ET43, RR/ET32.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
marcus
toyota

i was told mpg will not be affected as long as the front wheel and tire combo is the same weight as the stock since the front is the one pulling... i just love the look on the mini i saw with wider tire on the rear thats why.. and yah diameter will be close to stock as well..
Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Yeah, if you're going for a more flush fit front to rear, then you could use a 10mm spacer in the rear. Or, if you find wheels offered with a choice of offsets, then stagger. In Japan, staggered offsets are a common fitment on the Vitz; for example, 17x7, 205/40/17, FR/ET43, RR/ET32.
essentially the same outcome as a 10mm hub spacer. (except with hubspacers you can rotate your wheels/tires. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i was told mpg will not be affected as long as the front wheel and tire combo is the same weight as the stock since the front is the one pulling... i just love the look on the mini i saw with wider tire on the rear thats why.. and yah diameter will be close to stock as well..
it'll be tough to find a 17x7 and 215 or 205 tire that is lighter than the 15's and 185s. Edit: the rear matter considerably, the front wheels need to pull the car. If the rear wheels are heavier it's that much more work for the car to pull.

if you're really concerned with mileage you can get better mileage by going to a 195/55 all around with a lightweight 15x7.

gives you the MPG+ and wider tire. :) (although not the bigger wheel part...)
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
For track setup, it's not uncommon to see wider wheels in the front for more turn in .

Think 16 x 6.5 rear and 16 x 7 front. Honda guys do it all the time on their time attack cars. They will also run a softer compound in the front and a medium or harder compound to get the FWD to oversteer more than understeer.

But for D/D and ease of use, same size front and rear makes tire rotation cake walk.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
staggered width, I see the point of it, although for looks (and looks only, to be clear) people like to see the fatter tires in back.

I disliked the suggested mixed diameter wheel option. 16" in front and 17" in back.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Tamago

1" won't even show. if you REALLY want to make a stink, pick up 15's for the front and 17's for the back. i think it'll look really cool (as long as you get your overall tire diameters equal)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
marcus
toyota

ok 195/50/16 all around..then hub spacer with slight camber it is.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
ok 195/50/16 all around..then hub spacer with slight camber it is.
Back up a minute, mate. What are the specs of the wheels you'll be running, and if i recall... aren't you dropped on TRD's? Plus, what's the deal with the "slight camber...".
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Back up a minute, mate. What are the specs of the wheels you'll be running, and if i recall... aren't you dropped on TRD's? Plus, what's the deal with the "slight camber...".
im on trd but switching to df210 later on, rims will be 16x7 +40 offset but running 10mm spacer on rear i wanted i slight camber on rear for better turning ability.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
im on trd but switching to df210 later on, rims will be 16x7 +40 offset but running 10mm spacer on rear i wanted i slight camber on rear for better turning ability.
Okay. 16x7, ET40, 195/50/16 on DF210's, 10mm RR spacers. Sounds good.

Isn't this your DD? No need on earth for the camber with this set-up.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Okay. 16x7, ET40, 195/50/16 on DF210's, 10mm RR spacers. Sounds good.

Isn't this your DD? No need on earth for the camber with this set-up.
camber shims add barely 1degree of camber to the existing factory settings. it's not really that big of a deal lol
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
for rear camber, you will need shims:

spc_camber_shim_sample1.jpg

101491_042020072614_ExhibitPic.jpg

CNC_Camber_Shims4.jpg
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

men that looks complicated..what the difference with adding washers on the bottom on the spacers.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Tamago

about 1deg extra negative camber
you nailed it sir.