PDA

View Full Version : ABS and "!" lights are ON again!

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Awesome work and great post.

Even if Toyota won't issue a proper recall (like I think they should) it would be nice if they could at least stick with the $50 fix instead of charging their customers upwards of $700 to replace their own faulty materials.

bigdaddyhame
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Hello... my wife's 2007 Yaris Sedan >80k kms has just started showing the abs/! light issue as well. Add us to any and all complaint and or recall encouragement lists... I've printed off some of the materials here to take to our mechanic just in case but for the time being we don't mind the lack of ABS. While it sucks that we are clearly not alone in this at least we can share information and help eachother even if Toyota won't stand behind their defective system and issue a recall. Filling out a transport canada complaint this evening.

da1nonly
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Filled out a transport canada safety complaint today as well...

hopefully this gets addressed...

supahsain
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Another unhappy customer. Just filed a safety complaint but I highly doubt it will do anything.

Andymeo
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately my car has the same problem come out today, both the ABS light and brake light ON. Don't know what I can do. Warrenty expired a year ago and I still need to keep the lease for another year. Too bad.

supahsain
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow, I guess this is affecting more people than I thought.
Everyone should create a complaint
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Andymeo
01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Just file a complaint at Transport Canada.

limochong
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi Guys~
I have 2007 Sedan model also...the other day both parking brake and ABS lights came on then both went off inself after driving it about 30mins. A few days later those two lights came on again then went off itself...after reading up on these posts i went to check under the car (both rear speed sensor wires and connectors). After observing i did not see any chafed or broken wires and damage to connectors. After cleaning the connectors and sensor areas with contact cleaners and re-connected them back.
I was fortunate to see no damage to wires or connectors. So far i don't see any problems with parking brake and ABS light. I think it's fixed for now~

P.S. I did check with OBD II but like the others peoples there was no fault code shown.(at least my case)
I do not know why it did not record any fault code in computer??

CTScott
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys~
I have 2007 Sedan model also...the other day both parking brake and ABS lights came on then both went off inself after driving it about 30mins. A few days later those two lights came on again then went off itself...after reading up on these posts i went to check under the car (both rear speed sensor wires and connectors). After observing i did not see any chafed or broken wires and damage to connectors. After cleaning the connectors and sensor areas with contact cleaners and re-connected them back.
I was fortunate to see no damage to wires or connectors. So far i don't see any problems with parking brake and ABS light. I think it's fixed for now~

P.S. I did check with OBD II but like the others peoples there was no fault code shown.(at least my case)
I do not know why it did not record any fault code in computer??

A standard OBDII reader can't read fault codes from the ABS ECU. You need a Toyota TechStream Tool or an enhanced diagnostic tool to read fault codes from any ECU other than the ECM.

limochong
01-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh I C~~ thanks for the info CTScott.

FYI guys mine had 73,000Km right now

CTScott
01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
By the way, you can actually read the DTCs using just a jumper wire:

With the ignition off, jump the CG and TC pins on the OBD connector:

Turn the ignition on and watch the ABS light. If there are stored DTCs, It will flash in a pattern to indicate the code (71 for example will be shown as 7 quick flashes, a short pause, and then one quick flash).

C1271/71 Low output signal of front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH circuit
• Sensor installation
• Foreign matter on sensor tip or sensor rotor
C1272/72 Low output signal of front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1273/73 Low output signal of rear speed sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1274/74 Low output signal of rear speed sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH circuit
• Sensor installation
C1275/75 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
C1276/76 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
C1277/77 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
C1278/78 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH

Carrot Top
01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=dadi_oh;205097]He also made some odd comment about how it could happen if you got stuck and ended up spinning the front wheels. ???? :iono: Doesn't make any sense to me.

My lights came on AFTER I was going up Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It was snowing like crazy, the roads were not plowed and I had to go up the hill. I don't have snow tires and because of this my tires were spinning...it was so slick out. I felt that if I had taken my foot off the acclerator, I would have slid and gone backwards, it was that bad out!

Anyways, I took it to the dealership today and it is covered under the extended warranty but they wanted me to pay a $112.00 diagnostic charge...lucky for me, I had talked to a Manager and he told me that they have to charge this amount but if the part is covered under warranty, you don't have too...so beware of dealerships trying to charge you!!
The part is backordered, I agree with everyone else, this should be a recall for Yari that are subjected to snow.

'LilRedYaris
01-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Well, started my car (2007 Yaris Sedan) @ 6:30ish AM to warm it up and noticed the (ABS) and "Brake" light were lit. Tested my E-brake momentarily - no change. After thumbing through the manual and seeing that having both the ABS light and Brake light lit were signs to not drive & call the dealer, I sat and cursed for a few moments. Briefly tested the brakes in the driveway. Seemed to work fine. After both wondering if I should risk the drive to my morning class and consulting with a relative - I risked it & drove. Gingerly made my way through the snowy/salty slop to school. Then after class made it the (thankfully) short distance from school to the dealer (the very same dealer I had bought the car from). After driving the car into the svc. bay, I was greeted by being told a $120 would be applied as a diagnostic charge. After staring wide eyed at the service guy and expressing my disbelief, I reluctantly agreed - after all I was trying to do the right thing. Right?

To make a long story short... It was the right-rear wheel speed sensor harness. I was told there was 1 available locally and it would take awhile to get my car worked on. Told them to get it done.
After writing a note to my former sales guy expressing my concern over the $120 charge and leaving for a bit, I returned to the dealer. Talked w/ my sales guy only to find out that this fix wasn't under warranty (since it wasn't powetrain/tranny related). He tried talking w/ the service manager, vouching for me and tried getting the service charge eliminated. No dice. He sincerely apologized to me and I paid up and left. Disappointed. $220.35 total out of my pocket. Some of you may know that I bought this car Certified Used last May. My first Toyota, and first newish/modern car. Love it's driveability, reliability, and ease of use. Didn't like this situation too much though. Well, it can only get better, right? I live in a winter wonderland...

I should add: Today the car broke 50,000 Miles too. I bought it with little over 42,000 on the Odometer.

beZzZ
01-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Both my abs and battery warning light were on whenever it's raining, it was before I changed my 06 alternator to a used 09 one. And since then, luckily, both of them are never on again. Even now it's snowing almost everyday here.

Just wondering would it be the alternator causing the real problem.

Carrot Top
01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE='LilRedYaris;547620] He sincerely apologized to me and I paid up and left. Disappointed. $220.35 total out of my pocket. Some of you may know that I bought this car Certified Used last May. My first Toyota, and first newish/modern car. Love it's driveability, reliability, and ease of use. Didn't like this situation too much though. Well, it can only get better, right? I live in a winter wonderland...

So you got it fixed for $220.35?! I was told it is $700.00...thank God I got the extended warranty or I wouldn't get it fix. It is VERY disappointing to have that kind of repair...

limochong
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
By the way, you can actually read the DTCs using just a jumper wire:

With the ignition off, jump the CG and TC pins on the OBD connector:

Turn the ignition on and watch the ABS light. If there are stored DTCs, It will flash in a pattern to indicate the code (71 for example will be shown as 7 quick flashes, a short pause, and then one quick flash).

C1271/71 Low output signal of front speed sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
• Sensor installation
C1272/72 Low output signal of front speed sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
• Sensor installation
C1273/73 Low output signal of rear speed sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
• Sensor installation
C1274/74 Low output signal of rear speed sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH
• Sensor installation
C1275/75 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor RH
• Front speed sensor RH
C1276/76 Abnormal change in output signal of front speed
sensor LH
• Front speed sensor LH
C1277/77 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor RH
• Skid control sensor RH
C1278/78 Abnormal change in output signal of rear speed
sensor LH
• Skid control sensor LH

Thanks to CTScott, checked my OBD connector and jumped those two pins
confirmed that i have 73.

But there was also other lights were also blinked like transmission, airbag, P/S. etc
what are these CTScott??

devinlamothe
01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Both my abs and battery warning light were on whenever it's raining, it was before I changed my 06 alternator to a used 09 one. And since then, luckily, both of them are never on again. Even now it's snowing almost everyday here.

Just wondering would it be the alternator causing the real problem.

That's not the same problem. Our problem is the ABS and parking brake light on, not the battery.

blueswan
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Can anyone tell me where I would access the Canadian version of the TSB? My ! and ABS light just came on last night driving home in a snowstorm. I'd like to just replace the necessary parts rather than the whole assembly if I can, the dealership of course quoted me for the hub & sensor wiring.

Can I get instruct them to replace just the sensor wiring? How will I know that it is just the wiring and the hub is not required? I'm no techie with cars so I wouldn't know if thats a reasonable request.

I have a 2007 Yaris with 170,000 km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I am not knowleadgeable about cars.

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

CTScott
01-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Can anyone tell me where I would access the Canadian version of the TSB? My ! and ABS light just came on last night driving home in a snowstorm. I'd like to just replace the necessary parts rather than the whole assembly if I can, the dealership of course quoted me for the hub & sensor wiring.

Can I get instruct them to replace just the sensor wiring? How will I know that it is just the wiring and the hub is not required? I'm no techie with cars so I wouldn't know if thats a reasonable request.

Any advice would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I am not knowleadgeable about cars.

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

I haven't seen a source for Canadian TSBs, but if you look at the "Brake Control" section of the service manual (which is posted at the top of the DIY section), page 102 shows what's involved in replacing the senor/wire.

The wire is cheap (~$30), the sensor is a bit more (~$150), and the hub is ~$350. I would imagine that you'd have to add 2-4 hours of labor to that.

They probably just replace the whole mess, rather than taking the extra time to diagnose each portion of it.

CTScott
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks to CTScott, checked my OBD connector and jumped those two pins
confirmed that i have 73.

But there was also other lights were also blinked like transmission, airbag, P/S. etc
what are these CTScott??

Jumping TC to CG does the same for those systems as well.

blueswan
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks CTScott, appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris.

da1nonly
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

see my post #251 on page 14 for details on the canadian TSB

The TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 2008 revised on March 19, 2010) - Canadian TSB Version
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

I have a printout of this TSB and can scan it. Can we post pics here?

maison
01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I am new here and my car (2008 yaris) did that yesterday- with both abs and ! coming on..They told me 2 wks for the part. 2 $%&*^@ wks without a car.. and they dont offer any courtesy vehicle at all.

Ohh well next time i will go for a honda..which i had before

I just got the !emerg lite and ABS on today. 2008 Yaris with 30,000km, dealerserviced from day 1. Un-freaking believeable. I actually thought this thing would run like a top for the first 10 years.

Since the repair will cost about 10% of the cars value, and the only thing I'm losing is the ABS function, it makes zero sense to repair this.
Have to say, looking at this thread and the fact that there is no recall/repair for a fix, this will be my last Toyota. I've had 2 camrys (93/96) and a Sienna, but if this is an indication of their commitment to quality, I'm no longer interested in the product.

As they say, it takes years to build trust and a moment to lose it. (yeah I'm pissed )

blueswan
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks da1nonly:

I'm going back to the dealership and will ask if each part of the three-part system (wiring, sensor and hub) was examined to find out which part is faulty or if they just plugged into the comp and got the error code: I don't mind paying for necessary repairs but I'm p.o'd with the idea of paying for the whole sensor system unnecessarily.

Can I demand to see the TSB at the dealership? Can I instruct them to do the repairs per the TSB, unless they can prove to me that the whole system needs to be replaced?

Don't laugh, but is there a possibility of getting this done at Canadian Tire? I've gone there for my regular maintenance because they're more woman- friendly than my rather macho dealership. I've had reliable service from my local C.T and I research things very carefully when I take my car in - they've never tried to oversell or con me into doing more than I need and answer my questions fully and in layman's terms. They also stand behind their work as I've already had occasion to find out.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

(edited to add - a scan of the TSB would be great!)

Dave
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
If you're comfortable poking around under the car, cleaning the crap out of the sensor can help too. Or you could take it to a garage you trust and ask a mechanic to clean the sensor for you. It may be worth a try to save all the money.

I cleaned mine at the end of December and I haven't seen the lights on since (knock on wood).

yaris2010RS
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
just to clarify, is the problem with the sensor itself or is it the connector?

Dave
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I thought the problem was that a gap in the weather seal around the connector would allow the salt spray from the road to get into the spot where the wire harness connects to the hub. This impedes the electrical signals and causes the warning lights/ABS failure. That's why cleaning the gunk out and then protecting the gap with dielectric grease can help, if the salt hasn't already corroded any of the actual parts.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

bcolwill
01-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I have a 2007 Yaris which I purchased from my mother-in-law in December 2009 with only 3500 KM on it. Not long after I had the same problem as many here. Brake lights on and disabled ABS when driving in salt & slush. I was able to obtain the code pointing to a rear speed sensor. This past summer I purchased some dielectric grease at CDN Tire, removed the connectors at the rear wheels, filled the stationary end full of the grease and plugged them back in. Since I have done that I have yet to see the problem appear again.

shorenetworks
02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
This is Chris checking in from scionlife.com with a 2008 Scion Xb at 109K miles

Was having the same issue as described + TRAC and VSC.
Pulled the connectors of of the rear hubs cleaned and covered in dielectric grease problem solved!!!!

Also on the passengers side connector there was clear signs of corrosion.

Looks like Toyota shared the same parts bin for us.
And I will be filing a complainant with the http://www.nhtsa.gov/
as this is clearly a safety issue and I do believe that I am done buying Toyota!!!!

I will be posting this thread up on scionlife due to the fact that plenty of people just started having the same issue.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this as it has save me at least $800.00 USD

spann1
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
My 2007 Yaris has 41,000km (my kids drive it between University and Home) and I have had zero problems with this vehicle up until last week when I brought it in for the twice yearly oil change.The very next day the ABS light came on!

I googled and found this site and after reading all the Yaris ABS issues with sensors I went back to my local Toyota dealer and had the car hooked to the computer for $59.88+ tax, and Toyota reported the following:

cause: retrieved codes C0210 and C0215 speed sensor malfunctions.

correction: requires both rear speed sensors. $827.00 + tax.

I told the service advisor, I should not be responsible to pay this amount for a known technical fault especially since there is a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin from June 27th 2008 and secondly was not very happy that as a Yaris Owner was not even advised that there was a problem with the ABS sensors.

The Service Advisor agreed to contact Toyota Canada for a possible "Good Will Jesture" on the repair costs.

Toyota Canada agreed to pay 60% of estimated costs, my local Toyota dealer said since I serviced the vehicle always at the dealer, the low mileage & age of vehicle, they would also kick in 20% so I am left paying 20% for the fix.

Not exactly satisfied that this is free but I am happy to have this resolved
for $165.40 versus $827.00!

The car is being repaired in next few days.

Thanks to all the Yaris owners who made this information known.

Other than the ABS sensor this is a very reliable car, the best I have ever owned.

P.S. The car will still brake without the ABS just will not have the ABS function, some owners I read would not drive the car until fixed, I found that really funny.

bqsantos
02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello:
Just before snowmaggedon here in T.O. I tried the DIY fix as recommended in the thread.

I removed the tire to get to the connector, but I could not get the cover off. I'm not sure if I had my screw driver in the proper spot to remove the cover.

Does anyone have any pics/video of what things will look like after you get the cover off. Trying to figure out how the cover opens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

dwrf6
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow, glad to find this board.
I've got a 2007 Yaris 32 000km.
I had the brakes fixed in '09, dealer in Toronto covered it, with a list of clever question for me.
Had 14 000km at the time.
Year later, same issue, insufficient use of the vehicle caused the brakes to need repair again.
Full kit, pads, rotors(rusted and pitted too bad) and whatever else. 20 000km
I had to pay this time $750.

Well a good morning to me, started the car to the two board lights show up.
Not on when parked day prior.
"ABS" and "EMERG Brake", I personally prefer no ABS, obviously not working now.
Thanks for the info SPANN1 on the dealer visit.

What's my options? Can I use it without causing anymore issues?
Will the dealer find out that I disregarded the issue and then try to turn it on me.
Is this still covered under warranty?
Thanks

02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi ,

I got the same problem with my 07 Yaris. It happened to me last year and this year again. I am expecting to see this problem every winter. First Canadian insurance company is not covered because tech found the water in harness. Yes you will. I am driving in the snow.

Yaris is not good for snowy drive. Toyota shouldn't sell the yaris in some province in Canada. AB, SK, MB, OT and QC.

If they want to, they should make it water proof or something for sensor and harness.

I believe Toyota Canada should take responsibility for this. We Canadians are less protected by Consumer Law. We don't have Lemon law and we never complaint like Lexus in states.

I will see what I can do about it. I will spread this message through all of my social network, face book, tweeter and so on. My trust on Toyota is eventually going down.

Mr. Toyota your name is on my car you should be taking care of this.

From Canada

N9QGS
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I started having this problem for the first time this winter at 160K mi. and I appreciate the forum here to allow me to get it looked at, I am hoping its just limited to the harness and not both, but I am having an independent shop look at it right now for free, they said they would have to get the parts from toyota and there would probably be no difference in cost. But they will see if its anything they can clean up and put a temp fix in the meantime. I have a sedan 2007

devinlamothe
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
lol, I've been driving with the lights on for over a year now ... I can't for the life of me notice a difference with ABS on or off.

I just hope this isn't an insurance issue - when I have time this summer I will take the tires off and clean the sensors, but no way am I paying $800+ to get them fixed at the dealer.

Gman
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Reading all these post all the way from 2008 has made me sick to my stomach, especially since there has been no recall after all this time. I also have the same problem, with the warning lights going on and off all winter. I can be driving and they will go on, and then 15min later as I continue to drive they go off. Two times this winter, I have also experienced my Yaris not slowing down at all when breaking on snow, even though it sounded like the abs was working, and both times I came extremely close to smashing into the car in front of me. This has lead me to not trust my brakes at all in slippery conditions.

I am hoping it will get warm enough this week-end so I can try the cleaning idea. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread with advice.

Bluevitz-rs
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Reading all these post all the way from 2008 has made me sick to my stomach, especially since there has been no recall after all this time. I also have the same problem, with the warning lights going on and off all winter. I can be driving and they will go on, and then 15min later as I continue to drive they go off. Two times this winter, I have also experienced my Yaris not slowing down at all when breaking on snow, even though it sounded like the abs was working, and both times I came extremely close to smashing into the car in front of me. This has lead me to not trust my brakes at all in slippery conditions.

I am hoping it will get warm enough this week-end so I can try the cleaning idea. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread with advice.

Sorry, but this problem with the wheel speed sensors will have no effect on you brakes not working. So if you're that concerned about the safety of your vehicle, why haven't you taken it to the dealer?

Gman
02-16-2011, 07:45 AM
My brakes not working correctly happened while the two lights were "off". When the light are "on" I have no ABS, and like some others have said, I actually would prefer not to have ABS in the winter, and only have it when the pavement is not slippery.

As for why I have not gone to Toyota, I am not interested in paying close to $90 just to have them plug the car into a computer, and simply put, do not have the cash to pay that much money to just find out what is wrong and not actually make any repairs.

Gman
02-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Hello:
Just before snowmaggedon here in T.O. I tried the DIY fix as recommended in the thread.

I removed the tire to get to the connector, but I could not get the cover off. I'm not sure if I had my screw driver in the proper spot to remove the cover.

Does anyone have any pics/video of what things will look like after you get the cover off. Trying to figure out how the cover opens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Just want to bump this post as I am looking for the same info. I took the tire off today and had a look, but was not sure where to put my screwdriver to pop off the cap. Since its -10C today I did mess with it to much in fear of breaking it. Any help would be appreciated.

spann1
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
As previously noted my 2007 Toyota Yaris (out of warranty)ABS brake were finally repaired a few weeks ago. Still working fine!
The total was $52.00 for the computer scan and this you need to do so Toyota dealer can advise you of the fault, as well as estimate costs. Then ask the dealer for a good will gesture and they should have a response back to you within a day. My total to replace the two rear sensors was $142.00 including tax for parts and labour. Toyota Canada picked up 60% and local Toyota Dealer picked up 20%. Good Luck to all the Yaris owners going after the ABS fix, this should be a free recall, we all know this; but at least Toyota picked up 80% for me !

Gman
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a letter from Toyota Canada indicating they would pay 60% you could send me would you??

My dealer wanted $76 to plug it into the computer.

yaris2010RS
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
if ur car is out of warranty just follow the tips listed above and clear computer code urself.

Gman
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
if ur car is out of warranty just follow the tips listed above and clear computer code urself.

Well if I can get 80% paid like spann, I would rather do that. I am assuming that they replaced the sensor and harness with the newer and improved connection that has come out.

spann1
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes Toyota replaced the sensors on both rear brakes and both cables complete.
This is a different connection than the original connections so it should resolve any future issues. (We Hope!)

derickveliz2
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
ABS + BREAK lights just turn on at the same time, I have taken many times these connectors on and off (rear) , I just can't think of why it happens over and over. Toyota please take notice! and I should read all this tread.

D.

onizuka
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
This thread is getting VERY interesting. Yes, I am the original owner of this thread. Back in 2008, I was complaining about how my sensor failed in 2007 on one side, and 2008 on the other. Today as temperature is warming up, guess what...my sensors failed again. Back in 2008, I got them replaced by Toyota. It appears that the new/modified/improved/watever sensor hardness is no more protection than the original one. My car has only 130000km, not bad for a car that is purchased since 2005. This is my first and my last Toyota! :mad:

stuffy
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
i just discovered this problem on my car this winter, occassionally the two lights would come on and the abs would be disengaged.

we had A LOT of snow this winter so i thought maybe snow was getting packed in around the sensor or something, the problem went away for a long time but now that it's getting warmer it's actually getting worse.

my car is an 06 with 125,000 kms on it

derickveliz2
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
As soon as I posted on this thread my lights went off, so "no problema"

D.

s2kap1
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
sh!t happen to me today,abs+hand brake lights go on :thumbdown:06 HB RS , will Toyota will fix the problems with NO charge :clap:

devinlamothe
03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
sh!t happen to me today,abs+hand brake lights go on :thumbdown:06 HB RS , will Toyota will fix the problems with NO charge :clap:

Good luck with that. I think both sides are a $1000-1200 repair.

stuffy
03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
As soon as I posted on this thread my lights went off, so "no problema"

D.

it will probably come back on...mine did the same thing

i talked to toyota canada...apparently they have no idea of such a problem with the yaris
called my dealership and they are definitely aware of an issue, they said it's possibly moisture getting into the sensors, i have an appt on friday so i'll see

onizuka
03-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Toyota is in full denial mode on this issue. Just like they did on the accelerator problem on Camrys and Lexus. How can they not know about this issue? the parts are in constant backorders...."geeezz...why would this parts becoming so popular? as popular as the Netz emblems..."

derickveliz2
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm about to remove the camber kit in the rear axle, so I have to disconnect the ABS "Again"! (I've done it at least half a dozen times.

It's very easy to do, but it's very easy to break them too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_0uPhXFVEEJE/TYGJyEw9GPI/AAAAAAAAfbc/isDyN0ABqAM/s800/DSC_4158%20ABS.JPG

D.

yaris2010RS
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
hey...if the issue is the connector cant u cut them off and hard wire them together?

auxmike
03-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Glad I don't have ABS on mine, seems like a big hassel...

derickveliz2
03-17-2011, 01:20 AM
hey...if the issue is the connector cant u cut them off and hard wire them together?

Yes it could be done, I would like hear TCScott's opinion first.

Once I pulled too hard and I end up with 2 single wires in my hand, put them back in and it was ok. I was ready to cut and solder the wires my self.

D.

Dave
03-17-2011, 05:11 PM
How would hardwiring around the sensor solve the problem?

Maybe I'm not understanding your idea properly.

It seems to me that if you were to do that, you'd still be driving a car without a functioning speed sensor that no longer has ABS. You might as well just pull the fuse and not cut any wires. I'd hate to have to explain to my insurance company that I got in an accident because I cut a bunch of wires off my brakes.

WeeYari
03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
speed sensor -> connector -> wires

proposed solution:

speed sensor -> wires

Since the issue is corrosion in the connector, the idea put forth by yaris2010RS is to directly bypass the connector and hard wire direct to the sensor.

Dave
03-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Riiiiight. Sorry, it's been a long day. My bad.

stuffy
03-17-2011, 11:07 PM
i'm writing a letter to the wheels section of the toronto star regarding this, perhaps if more of us did that we would get some attention and therefore action from toyota canada.

here's the email for the editorial staff of the wheels section if anyone else feels so inclined:
wheels@thestar.ca

stuffy
03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
after a couple of calls to the service manager of my dealership and toyota canada, they ended up covering 80% of the price to replace the faulty sensor and wiring harness on my yaris,
so it cost $75 plus the initial $50 diagnostic (this is for the one side only).

while i was happy that it did not cost $416 like i was quoted i'm still not entirely satisfied as i think this is a defective part.
i think there's a good chance the other side will eventually go as well so i'm wondering if they will hand me the same token for that one?

N9QGS
03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I went to my tire place, they checked all connections; they saw nothing worth alarming, and it only came on one more time after this and now the weather is warmer, it has not returned. I do expect to see it next winter, and I will get it taken care of at that time.

Bluevitz-rs
03-26-2011, 07:53 AM
So I have read the entire YarisWorld Forum concerning ABS failure..Does anyone have a copy of TSB-0120-08 for the ABS issue? I have an 08 Sedan S with 69k..Driving along and the ABS and brake Light both come on..begins to rain and suddenly they both go off..on and off, depending on weather for a week..Finally, both lights stay on and car makes clunking sound when brakes are applied..go to dealership, and am informed it's probably an ABS malfunction..DUH!! Really?? Are you sure it isnt the air conditioning? Or the Muffler?
So I leave the car, and rent a car to drive for the "two, maybe three days to fix it" answer I get from dealership...Three days later, receive a call stating the ABS is not working, and harness and wiring assembly need to be replaced- oh and by the way, the part has to come from Japan and will take 3 weeks- estimated.."We have rental cars here at the dealership" ..Well thanks Biff, I had planned on walking the 20 miles to work in February, average temp 30 degrees; but if you have rental cars... So I rent a car from them. Three weeks later, part arrives and dealership happily calls to inform me the car is "ready to Go!" And all for only $1256.00 american...Parts, labor, and rental car..So Biff mentions that there is a magical 800 number (Toyota Customer Service) that might help me defer some of the cost..Being a christian, I will only say they came short of laughing at me for calling, and actually suggested I return to the dealership, to see if "they" could help.. I did read one post, where they sent a certified letter, but it was Canadian; where they care...Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Don't know if they have it in the states, but here in Canada, if you go to the dealer for regular maintenance, they have what's called "Good Will Warranty" for out of warranty vehicles. Dealer pays 20%, customer pays 20% and Toyota Canada Pays 60%. But if you've never been back to the dealer for any service, you'll have little to no luck getting it, because they have no reason to help a customer out that's never spent any money at their dealership.

"G"
04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Has this been recalled by toyota yet????????

"G"
04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Lot's of good info in this thread. My abs/ brake light recently came on so I checked my rear sensors and this is what I found. One pin basically corroded off completely. Their has to be a replacement sensor available with out having to buy a whole new hub. Or an updated part. I think i'm going to try and remove the sensor and see what happens. Are their any updates on whether or not you can buy just the sensor???? From looking at the base, it looks like a twist and pull removal. Similar to a parking light bulb. If the whole hub needs to be replaced then it looks like a bad design on Aisin's part.

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/9694/sdc13158.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4249/sdc13171.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3407/sdc13186p.jpg

Here is a link to Aisin's website >> http://www.aisin.com/product/automotive/brake/index.html If you scroll down you will se they are mighty proud of their offerings :evil: The speed sensor with integrated hub is the exact toyota model! The bottom speed sensor which they refer to as "stick style" is used on the front of the yaris. I think we should all email aisin and say wtf!

PrincessKay
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Both of my lights are on as well - somewhat of a comfort to know that I'm not the only one.

I drive an '07 RS HB. I have to go in tomorrow for service so I will talk to them about it then. This really should be a recall...

sternz
05-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm having the problem as well, it started happening this past winter. I cleaned the rear sensors and applied Dielectric Tune-up Grease and still have the lights on. I really don't want to have to pay anything to have this problem fixed, since it should be recalled. I'm very disappointed Toyota has done nothing for their clients. Worst part is that unless the design for the sensors themselves are not changed, it will just keep us all going back to the shop. :thumbdown:

I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

I urge those in the US to do the same.

devinlamothe
05-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I've tried almost everything to get Toyota to do SOMETHING about this, but unless I pay them to do the repair they won't budge. Toyota Canada is crap when trying to get anything.

They should have really had a recall for this issue since it's happening to more and more people.

I just leave the lights on the dash on, I don't care any more since they keep coming back on.

derickveliz2
05-21-2011, 08:25 AM
They turn on and off all the time, specially when wet.

D.

Mikeey01nzl
05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Okay now I'm really confused...

ABS light comes on, I don't own any diag stuff to plug into it so I jumpered 4 & 13. ABS light flashes 4 times then goes out, then flashes 9 times.
None of this even comes close to what is listed above.. does anyone know what it's complaining about?

derickveliz2
05-27-2011, 11:13 PM

ABS light comes on, I don't own any diag stuff to plug into it so I jumper 4 & 13. ABS light flashes 4 times then goes out, then flashes 9 times.
None of this even comes close to what is listed above.. does anyone know what it's complaining about?

:iono: I'm sorry if I'm been naive here, but what does it means to " I jumper 4 & 13"

D.

Mikeey01nzl
05-27-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry if I'm been naive here, but what does it means to " I jumper 4 & 13"D.

Short the two terminals... read this excellent post by C T Scott for more info
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=547093&postcount=262

So back to my orginal question chaps.... what the heck is 49 or 94 flashes on the ABS light really mean? :iono:

Iain
07-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I have two 07 Yaris', a sedan and a HB. The ABS problem, I believe, is due to road salt probably causing corrosion. The dealer will fix, I believe, for about $600 - $1000 by replacing all the wiring (not needed only the rear wheels cause the problem). I found that the front wheels were fine. However on the rear wheels the elctrical connection going into the wheel hub does not have an outer plastic insulation covering (as it does on the front hub) only the individual wires going to the sensor. I sprayed the cables with WD40 and then regular engine oil and filled the little pocket/pit/depression with oil at the hub. After a couple of weeks the ABS came on less frequently. Now after about a month it no longer comes on at all and that has been like that for about 4 months now. Got the idea because the one vehicle I had rust proofed never developed a problem. Hope this helps someone and save a pocket full of cash.
It's heaven, before the ABS light was always on.
Cheers Iain

salmonz
07-02-2011, 12:49 AM
If you're handy and Toyota seems a bit much, you can always order 2 new after market rear ABS sensors for $288 CAD (taxes, brokerage and shipping included) from Rockauto. http://goo.gl/L6z5o

Duncan Ashworth
07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Total cost spent to date related to the faulty ABS brake issue is $6000+- and counting. Sooner or later Toyota Canada has to issue a recall notice for this major safety defect. I'm amazed no one has been killed yet! We have spun around 3 times because of a locked rear wheel. Wow! unbelievable. I recently filed with Transport Canada. I will be undertaking legal action unless Toyota Canada fesses up.

ChitownY@Ris
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
These sensors went out on me a couple times. Each time they were covered by Toyota warranty. First time was a few months after I bought the car brand new. Second time was two years later, which I thought was related to me pulling the hand break and drifting from time to time. But as I said, Toyota replaced sensors nonetheless. Now I have 2000 miles left under my 75000 mile warranty, so after that if it happens again, I guess I'll be in the same boat as some guys here looking to buy sensors and DIY.

derickveliz2
07-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Mine are ON all the time now! I guess I'm going to have to get down there and solder them directly.

D.

devinlamothe
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Total cost spent to date related to the faulty ABS brake issue is $6000+- and counting. Sooner or later Toyota Canada has to issue a recall notice for this major safety defect. I'm amazed no one has been killed yet! We have spun around 3 times because of a locked rear wheel. Wow! unbelievable. I recently filed with Transport Canada. I will be undertaking legal action unless Toyota Canada fesses up.

Good luck with Transport Canada - I filed almost a year ago and got no response.

My ABS lights have been on for a couple of years now ... I don't really care to spend $$$ to fix this.

If you find a way to solder them directly to the hub without damaging anything, can you please post some pics of what you've done? I would like to do the same and then apply a crap-ton of weather proof silicone to seal the bugger.

"G"
07-29-2011, 07:56 PM
In order to solder them directly you need to remove the hub anyway, so you might as well install a new one.

jit
08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
i did an abs at dixie toyota for 1000 cad right in the thick of a january snow - they changed wire and the calipers or so i think - sometimes when it rains i also have an engine check - surely toyota canada does not not give a damn of canadian weather for our 20000plus money - toyota was the best, now falling way behind ford, hyundai et al.
They need take responsibilities of their mess over n over, Toyota Engineering My Ft!

derickveliz2
10-13-2011, 01:36 AM
TOYOTA please take notice!

This is why my lights (ABS + BREAK) turn on! (I'm guessing)

I did solder them directly and cover with a Sealant. We'll see how much they hold on!

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/derickveliz/Yarisito/207bda6d.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/derickveliz/Yarisito/8820f2c5.jpg

D.

firemachine69
10-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Yes, ABS and handbrake lights are on. Meaning that your ABS is inactive.

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.

Momentarily had this a few months ago. I suspected the VSS, couldn't prove it. Handbrake definitely was not dragging, my car free-rolled without issue.

Just another nail in the coffin proving my theory that the Yaris is the furthest thing ever from the reliable Echo...

derickveliz2:

I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?

Bluevitz-rs
10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?

No they don't. I did someone's brakes on their Yaris and cleaned and packed the connectors as preventative maintenance.

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken. It was a while ago now.

derickveliz2
10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
derickveliz2:

Yes and No... It helps to fix them if you remove the hub, but 1 side had 2 wires broken all ready like you see in the pictures above, the other side only one wire was broken. I did remove them both. no access to the wires from the inside of the hubs, it's where the wires go into the hub. I hope I didn't confuse you?

N

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken.

You need to squish the little tongue on the lower part of the hub.

"NO MORE LIGHTS FOR ME!!! and I spend nothing but my time. Lets see when they will turn on again!

D.

Dave
11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Just a friendly reminder to check on your sensors if you're changing over to your winter tires in the next three weeks or so. I know I'll be giving them their annual cleaning and application of dielectric grease.

It's a lot easier to clean them now, before the temperature gets into the negative double-digits!

Delfire
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I just want to say, that whichever the problematics with sensors, specially ones around wheels, underbody, try lubing them with dielectric grease, or grease, whatever. Cause no matter how many times you change em, water, ice, salt snow.. aint helping.. and seems Toyota made a big bobo with Yarises or othr model sensorabilia.... up to date, i have changed, ABS sensors, Alternator Sensor, The radio ( a lil transistor thing burnt inside it) , and now im on my Camshaft sensor... Yeeee i wonder wich sensor will go next!? good thing i get parts cheap or free, and make em myself.. when its sunny... and aint raining or snowing.....

Note, before changing your ABS sensor, clean the connectors,and add dielectric greasse they should work just fine. IF pin isnt brocken from rust.

"G"
12-02-2011, 06:46 PM
My brain is hurting after trying to read your post ^^^^^.:mad:

N9QGS
01-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Yeah I had this problem last winter, the lights would come on and then go off a few days later, after winter it had not come back on, we still are waiting for our first snow here in Kentucky, and I feel it will start coming back on... I have 198,000 miles on my vehicle now, should be at 200,000 by end of January.

Gman
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I am back after almost a year and with good news. Since following the instructions here about opening the connection and cleaning the leads and then plugging it up with dielectric grease I have not had the light come on, and I have not lost my ABS brakes.

Big thanks to those of you who posted pic's and explained this easy fix.

Sad to see Toyota not putting a recall on this since it is a very dangerous situation. A couple times I would have ABS and then poof lost it when the lights came on, pretty scary stuff when you are skidding along a highway with cars on front and behind you.

So if you have not tried this fix, TRY IT!!!! My independent garage did it for free when I had them switching my winter tires to my summer tires.

Even if you DO NOT have this situation, I would do it as a preventative measure.

"G"
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Uhm your an idiot. When the light comes on you lose abs, but you do not lose any braking power.

johnny_vitz
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
So I FINALLY had a yaris come in with an ABS light on, ended up being corrosion at the LR connector. If anyone is wondering it's only $45cdn for a whole new harness per side to fix, that is IF the bearings terminals aren't damaged. Fairly easy to change out as well. I'm a little confused at some of the posts saying thousands of dollars being spent to fix these problems :iono: Even both bearings and both harnesses replaced including labour wouldn't be $1000 using toyota parts, through my shop anyways...?

"G"
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
What if the corrosion is on the terminals hub side? Then what are you going to replace??????????????????????

johnny_vitz
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
What if the corrosion is on the terminals hub side? Then what are you going to replace??????????????????????

lol read my post :thumbup:

If the terminal in the hub/bearing unit is damaged you'll have to replace it, but it still isn't terribly expensive. I would definitely agree with what several people have suggested and recommmend taking the connectors off and packing them full of grease to keep them from corroding.

The best part is, I suggested to do this on the other sides connector (RR) of the customer's yaris I was working on, and they wouldn't approve me to do it.

"G"
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Exactly, replacing a hub and paying toyotas inflated part pricing is terribly expensive to yaris owners. Especially since it's a design flaw.

johnny_vitz
01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Exactly, replacing a hub and paying toyotas inflated part pricing is terribly expensive to yaris owners. Especially since it's a design flaw.

Agreed. But every car has problems, just like our water pumps. They're still near the top of the list for reliability, and have very few expensive issues.

The pricing on these parts specifically isn't too bad, I was amazed that the harness was only $45...but that is probably because it is a common issue (they had 9 in stock).

willow1
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't understand how people can drive for years with their ABS light on...I was told the car wouldn't pass inspection with it on. I'm going through the same thing now as we speak..car's in at the dealer and I'm waiting to hear the verdict.

403RS
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Had the lights come on last week when it was -40, but they went away as soon as it warmed up. Knock on wood that they stay off, will be inspecting the problem area closer in the springtime.

WildChild
01-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Count me in, both lights lit up yesterday on my 2007 Yaris Sedan which has less than 50000 KM. I guess I'll have to take a look at those connectors next spring to clean them up!

Filed a complaint to Transport Canada...

popaclay
01-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to the forum members, in particular paulyates and fidgell.
I sprayed the connectors with wd40, removed them, blew them out with compressed air and lightly packed with white lithium grease. Drove 100 yards and the lights went out

cheers

Boddy
02-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I just buy a 2007 Yaris and 3 weeks after, I havethe same problem. Mistake is problem is not permanent, Sometime, light is on and somentime is off.
Problem arrive after a couple cold days, but it come back yesterday and It was just 0 Celcius, not really cold for Quebec.

When I bring car for warranty, light was off and the dont see anathing, but I come back during the evening! Must to return.

Following your message, seem to be a 2007 bug.
Invetigation runnig..

derickveliz2
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I just buy a 2007 Yaris and 3 weeks after,...

When I bring car for warranty, light was off and the dont see anathing, but I come back during the evening! Must to return.

Following your message, seem to be a 2007 bug.
Invetigation runnig..

Take pictures or video to prove it!

Not a bug for 2007s... mine is 2008

D.

Mikeey01nzl
03-13-2012, 02:47 AM
I gave up and took it to the dealer...

They diagnosed two codes.
CO278 open circuit in ABS solenoid relay
CI249 open circuit in stop light switch circuit

x1 new stop light switch ($118.30nzd +tax)

I found the same part available #8434019025 from the states for $24.22, god we get ripped for parts here in New Zealand.

ABS light comes on, I don't own any diag stuff to plug into it so I jumpered 4 & 13. ABS light flashes 4 times then goes out, then flashes 9 times.

devinlamothe
03-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't understand how people can drive for years with their ABS light on...I was told the car wouldn't pass inspection with it on. I'm going through the same thing now as we speak..car's in at the dealer and I'm waiting to hear the verdict.

The only inspection it won't pass is the safety if you plan on selling/trading in. There are no other inspections to worry about as far as I am aware.

I've been driving with these lights on for a couple of years and I really could care less. Maybe this summer I will try and clean out the connectors myself, just my driveway is gravel and isn't exactly the best to do car work in.

fidgell
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Its 2 years this week since I cleaned and greased mine...STILL no reoccurance. Please try to DIY it before giving the stealerships any of your hard earned cash!!!

"G"
03-31-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm going to attempt to replace my hub assembly with a koyo unit. Fuck aisin. Is their a write up on how to do it anywhere?

devinlamothe
03-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Its 2 years this week since I cleaned and greased mine...STILL no reoccurance. Please try to DIY it before giving the stealerships any of your hard earned cash!!!

I'm going to try that as soon as the weather gets warmer. If I need a new wiring harness it's only $25 per side ... I just hope the hub side isn't corroded.

Gman
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Uhm your an idiot. When the light comes on you lose abs, but you do not lose any braking power.

I never said I lost braking power, I said I lost ABS. BTW thank you for sharing your maturity level with all of us with your "idiot" comment.

auxmike
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Um, you're pretty rude. People come here for help with things they don't know or understand. Even if the question seems real simple or common sense, be gracious in your reply or just don't bother and let someone help them..

auxmike
04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
I never said I lost braking power, I said I lost ABS. BTW thank you for sharing your maturity level with all of us with your "idiot" comment.

:headbang: :bow:

"G"
04-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Here is how to save your toyota from rusting if you drive it in the winter >> http://www.fluid-film.com/ Spray it on all metal surfaces underneath your car and suspension. As well as these skid sensor connections and you won't have these problems. This stuff is amazing.

devinlamothe
04-23-2012, 09:37 AM
OK I am having some trouble getting the stupid sensor connection off the hub. Any suggestions? Smaller flat-head screwdriver maybe?

Also, has anyone replaced the wiring harness? I thought it connected somewhere under the car not up inside the car. Any tips for that would be helpful too since I may have to replace that as well.

jason214
04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, the vehicle side connectors are inside the deck trim panel on each side. You have to remove a Deck Trim Side Panel(LH or RH, depending on which side you want to replace) to get to the vehicle side connector. (Refer to service manual IR-41 (Interior)

I had the same problem for three months and I ended up replacing brake actuator(used one from ebay, left rear hub with an ABS sensor(Timken HA590170), and wiring harness for both sides. That cost me about $400 CAD. I did it myself.

kebhen
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Yup, count me in as one of the fortunate ones. When the mechanic was taking off the connector it was so corroded that the pins broke off. So I souced a replacement sensor and hub assembly from WorldPac 200.00 CDN at Carquest. Have to get it installed after the pins come out of the socket (hopefully).

kebhen
06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Had the sensor hub's done one of the wires to the drivers side sensor was broken and the pins on the passenger side was broken off. Wiring on that side looked ok. After that had the car Krown undercoated. Might help the connectors this winter. If not I was wondering if anyone had tried Liquid electrical tape to seal the connectors and wiring better?

auxmike
06-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I couldn't find a H/B with ABS when I bought mine in 2008. In hindsight, I'm GLAD I couldn't buy one!

"G"
06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
You need fluidfilm.

derickveliz2
06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone had tried Liquid electrical tape to seal the connectors and wiring better?

I used clear silicone, so far so good! we'll see.

D.

jleipz
06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I am having this same issue- ABS and Parking Brake Lights both on- it comes and goes.

My question is: Do the fault codes get stored after the ABS and PBL go out? Can you only get the fault codes when the lights are on?

mpankhur
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
It's disturbing to read all of the comments from owners of the Yaris regarding the ABS sensor issue. I have a 2008 Yaris and started having this problem in the spring. The service shop said that this is a common problem but there is no recall. The cost for repair is in the $700 range.

I called Toyota Canada and all they could say was that it's "unfortunate". They also gave me the impression that there was not a systemic problem. I would say that this website indicates otherwise.

I'm posting this issue here to let others know that the problem still exists and Toyota is ignoring it. This is obviously a design/manufacturer problem and the consumer should not have to pay for this costly repair.

Keep speaking out against the issue and make sure that Toyota hears about it!

devinlamothe
07-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Just an FYI if you have this problem and try and sell your car, it will NOT pass a safety (in Ontario).

I am selling it to my brother and the garage said because the (!) was on as well as the (ABS) it would not pass (which I think is complete BS, but any way) - the mech even admitted there was nothing wrong with the car just because the actual light was on it would not pass.

This is completely unacceptable.

djb
10-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I read most of the thread. My wife's Yaris had this happen once while under warranty, took them 2 tries to fix it. It came back in the spring when we were taking the snows off. The back left was rusted and really stuck, we had to beat it off with a hammer. After that, the ABS and (!) lights were on. I used an OBD reader and said it was the rear left speed sensor, something that we were afraid of since the first time, we were warned that it was something that seemed to be happening frequently. I reset the code but obviously it came right back.

I was going to just buy a new sensor until I read the thread. Thanks to you guys, I didn't do that, and from the pictures, I realized I didn't even need to take the wheel off. I got under it and pulled the connection, and I could see a bit of blue corrosion on the wire. I couldn't see inside the port on the sensor. I cleaned it up a bit and blasted it with contact cleaner, and it cleared after driving it a hundred yards or so. I'll get some dielectric grease and put it on both sides to protect it.

403RS
10-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Put the Yaris into winter mode today, and greased up the connectors using this stuff:

http://www.craftsmanoncall.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/media/images/inventory/2003.jpg

Before shot:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/chowd3r/2012-10-14153226.jpg

Thankfully no corrosion (yet).

ajsman
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi, I have a 2007 2nd Generation hatchback Vitz from Japan. The abs light is on and i have read that it might be a problem with the sensors. Where are the sensors please, front or back wheels?

Thanks a lot.

403RS
11-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Rear hubs

falconati
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm having the exact, EXACT problem as others. So frustrating. I have not yet tried any remedies; however I'm frustrated that this is such a widely known issue....yet no official fix from Toyota. Having folks fix this at cost is awful. It's a safety issue, not a maintenance issue.

I'm hoping Toyota will do the right thing here, otherwise it'll be harder to look at another Toyota model down the road.

If you're a US resident, please submit a formal complaint to the NHTSA - it only takes 3 minutes of your time and could help us all get a formal, free fix from Toyota: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

edmscan
01-19-2013, 07:05 PM
I am having the ABS and Emerg Brake light problem. My car has about 170,000 km on it .. and does have ECP extended warranty (the previous owner paid a couple of thousand dollars for this warranty coverage) for another 9 months. Does anyone know if this problem would be fixed under warranty ?

Of course .. the problem has gone away. The lights have gone off .... and speaking to the previous owner it is not uncommon for this problem to appear when the roads are messy, and for the problem to go away for months at a time.

*edit* I spoke to the dealer and they didn't want me to bring my car in .. as the lights have turned off and when they hook the computer up to it, nothing will be shown. So .. they said they won't know if it is the right or left side that is causing the problem. Well .. I don't know but for me checking both sides for corrosion would be a good game plan. But I am not them .. and well I cannot tell them what to do.

Gman
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
When I opened mine you could easily see corrosion and I am sure they could also. Luckily the trick of cleaning with circuit cleaner and then packing it with dioelectric grease worked perfect, and now I have traded that car back to Toyota and bought a Corrola.

aromo
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Just joined to post that last night my wife's Yaris 2007 Sedan had the same issue described here. 85,000 Km on it and warranty expired 2 months ago!!

Still there is no response from Toyota. I filed my complaint this morning with Transport Canada, let's see what happens on that front.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, especially the TSB numbers (TSB-0120-08 for US and TSB3027 for CAN).

What I'll do is take it to a shop for sensor cleaning, if it doesn't work take to the dealership. I need to hear their diagnostic and get a quote for fixing it, then ask them to fix it for free as it is an acknowledged defect and I have serviced the car at the dealership for 5 years to keep the warranty (now expired) current. If they don't accept to fix it for free, I will submit a claim at Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (http://www.camvap.ca/claiming/apply/).

I am going to replace my car (Toyota Corolla) with a minivan this Spring and was considering the Toyota Sienna, but the way Toyota is handling this issue makes me think twice about that for sure.

edmscan
02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
It seems that my car cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. Some days .. the ABS/Emerg light is on and other days it doesn't show its face. I will just ignore it I guess .. and see how that works out.

Bluevitz-rs
02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
It'll just get worse and worse. The fix is so easy, why ignore it?

edmscan
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
It'll just get worse and worse. The fix is so easy, why ignore it?

I am not a car guy. I know how to check my oil .. and that's about it. So .. fixing it will be something that I may get the dealer to do. But the dang lights won't stay on, so the dealer won't touch it.

yaris2010RS
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I am not a car guy. I know how to check my oil .. and that's about it. So .. fixing it will be something that I may get the dealer to do. But the dang lights won't stay on, so the dealer won't touch it.

from the sounds of it your sensor is at the point where there is some corrosion but the pins are still intact and no serious damage has been done. it may get to the point where the only thing possible to do is to replace which is much more $$$

Dave
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
^^^ I agree with this.

edmscan, you really should take a look at it while you still have time to protect the connection before it's completely corroded apart. All you have to do is clean the salt spray and sand off the connector, and then seal it back up with dielectric grease. It takes no more than 10 minutes and will save you all kinds of headaches. The dealer will charge you for an hour's labour, so that'll be $90-110 for a very simple task.

Take a look at this pic for what the sensor looks like:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=457157&postcount=232

yaris2010RS
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM

thought they didnt use salt out there?

jaggerdog
02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
The ABS and brake light appeared today not impressed. I retrieved the code and it was 33 for right rear sensor. Pulled the rear wheels off to get better access. Took a while to get the electrical connector off the back of the sensor. I ended up using a medium cotter key split in half. I put it in the lower part of the connector and turned while pulling on the connector towards the center of the car. Blew my mind when I got it off this plug has no rubber seal of weather proofing at all WTF... I dried them both out with a hair dryer and filled them with vasoline. Drove it down the street and BOOM!! it's fixed. When it's not -14 out I will rig up some boots to cover the connectors. They should at lease supply us with some rubber boots that can be slipped over these connectors to prevent the moisture.

edmscan
02-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I have great news .... the local Toyota dealer is going to fix my ABS (!) brake problem, under extended warranty. The extended warranty coverage for my car was purchased by the original owner, and it apparently does cover the ABS (!) issue. So I am looking forward to getting my car finally fixed.

Edit: .. got my ABS (!) issue fixed today at the Toyota dealer. It was good to finally get the problem resolved. The best thing is that it was all covered under ECP warranty.

jp_caldwell
03-02-2013, 02:02 PM
I have an 06 and just had to clean the sensors for the 2nd time last night. But the bad news is on the passenger side the plug fell completely apart. So I need to replace the ABS sensor wire (part 89516-52090) and the speed sensor (part 89544-52040).

Two questions; does anyone know a site that will ship to Canada and has the parts for a good price. The dealer cost is freaking crazy and more than double what i have found from sites in the US which won't send items north of the border.

Second question, does anyone have DIY for changing the speed sensor?

enviri
03-02-2013, 09:08 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/xienji/80B8CFC1-D69B-400C-BEF0-4703A88FBEC6-25670-0000081DE5602B14.jpg

you will need a press...at least that's how i removed my hub.

i can maybe send it to you for 100$ shipped from US.

edmscan
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
All I know is that when the dealer fixed my speed sensor issue (both left and right sides) it took them about 2-3 hours to complete the job. So it doesn't sound like it is a simple 10 min job.

polar_white
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
owner of 2007 LB yaris, had rust proofing done when it was bought new from DVN dealership.

I just got this stupid ABS & (!) lights on problem about few weeks ago, after some googling i found this thread.

I have a service appointment booked and will talk to them to see if they will do a good will pricing for me, if not, i'm not planning to fix it.

polar_white
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Can you tell us which dealership is this in Toronto? DVN wants total of $940 to rplace both rear sensors, they said the cost of both sensors is $240.........

FOLLOWUP (sorry for the length of this post):

Part replaced for $53.30

So thanks to this forum I had the part replaced by Toyota for $53.30...
out of warranty.

I had the issue back in feb 2010 with the right sensor. they replaced it under warranty but didnt say what caused the issue despite my complaints to know the cause... just said that they had to replace the entire sensor assembly. Back then I complained asking them to recheck and replace the other sensors but they wouldn't becuz they were fine... I didnt actually look this problem up until tonight jan 2011 when the sensor went on the leftside.

So the story goes:
Came in tonight.... told me it would cost $733 to fix the sensor issue. Add $200+ for labor and $100 for the initial diagnostic.

Googled and found this thread.... showed them the easy fix and the tsb issued in 2008 (US version). After talking with service manager, technician and service rep we finally found the TSB (CDN version). I told them to fix the problem according to the TSB which matched the error code found during diagnostic. The replaced just the wire sensor (list price $53.30), waved the diagnostic fee and took 10% off labor (after 1hr of complaining with everyone there). Total was about $230 ($180 2hr labor, $50 part)

I wouldve tried cleaning it but the tech had already pulled out the sensor and showed me the wire was damaged (really?). At least i have the latest sensor model (hopefully) which should protect against corrosion/damage to the sensor. So hopefully I wont have to worry about this or having to clean the original faulty sensor every year.

If it hasn't been posted... for those looking for the TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 2008 revised on March 19, 2010) - Canadian TSB Version
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

Sorry I didnt get a chance to read the entire thread but I skim through enough of it to help me get the right part replaced at a reasonable price rather than their initial costs of $700-900

Hope that helps.

The service manager also said he'd follow up with Toyota. What they call a good will claim... case determined by toyota canada.

Sorry for the length of the post... but hopefully some of this info helps someone with the same issue.

Cheers.

invisibleghosts
07-03-2013, 08:39 PM
First off let me thank everyone for posting such good information on checking, preventing and replacing in all of the above posts!:w00t:

I've followed the instructions and have removed both sensors, the first was dirty, but intact, the second....not so lucky.

So I managed to switch out the old, broken, wiring and sensor (I'll call the male end) but I'm a bit lost on the other side (female) end. I had a few pins that were broken off (tons of sand/salt/snow in Winnipeg) and I'm not sure what part or process to use to replace the "female" side? I wasn't able to find anything mentioned in the previous posts on a DIY...any advice?

I've been taking photos as I've gone along and I hope to post them all once I've completely finished to help others. I'll admit I'm not very handy, but I'd rather not pay the dealership for a job that I can do myself!

jb48
10-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Now I have a dilemna!
I bought a used (97000 km) 2008 Yaris HB a month ago and it`s my sole everyday vehicle (my other one is a 1984 Suzuki 650 motorcycle). So far so good, no problem at all. In addition to everyday transportation, I use my car for delivering mail to mailboxes in rural area. I read all the 22 pages of this thread and now i have a dilemna: do I take preventive actions to address the potential problem by asking my mechanic to clean and grease the ABS connections when he`ll install my new winter tires or is it better to do nothing per popular proverb <if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it>?

Bluevitz-rs
10-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Take it apart and grease it with dielectric grease before it's too late.

eseibel67
03-09-2014, 09:49 AM
I've had the ABS & "!" light coming on intermittently since Christmas, and then it went solid for most of the winter so I suspected corrosion. Scan revealed C0210 (right rear speed sensor circuit).

Yesterday it was finally warm and dry enough to take a wheel off and have a look. Turns out that one of the two pin sockets on the harness was crusted up with green corrosion. And I can see why it happened, the plastic housing of the connector had a crack in it that let water in.

Being as I'm a tightwad, I scraped out as much of the crust as possible with a small sewing pin and flushed out the debris with alcohol spray and compressed air. Added a tiny spot of grease in the hole and plugged it in. Cleared the codes by jumping the DLC and the warning lights are now off.

I know this is a temporary repair, so the next time the light comes on I'm going to just replace both rear harnesses.

robkay
04-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Can somebody help with a question? I'm trying to do the rears. Does that clip on top actually get removed, or is it a molded part of the connector? I lift the clip with a screwdriver, then try to pry to connector back with another screwdriver and the connector doesn't want to slide off easily. The connector is somewhat loose because I can actually slide it back and forth a tad. However, there is significant resistance to sliding the connector off. Am I just being too timid about prying on the connector to pop it off? I just don't want to break it. Thanks,.

CTScott
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Can somebody help with a question? I'm trying to do the rears. Does that clip on top actually get removed, or is it a molded part of the connector? I lift the clip with a screwdriver, then try to pry to connector back with another screwdriver and the connector doesn't want to slide off easily. The connector is somewhat loose because I can actually slide it back and forth a tad. However, there is significant resistance to sliding the connector off. Am I just being too timid about prying on the connector to pop it off? I just don't want to break it. Thanks,.

The outer clip does need to be removed. Look closely at it and you will see the line where it splits.

robkay
04-10-2014, 01:56 PM
You're the best CTS! Will try to look closer.

derickveliz2
04-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes CTScott is the BEST!

D.

CTScott
04-10-2014, 03:23 PM
And even better; I found a picture of releasing the clip from when we did the JDM Vitz RS rear axle swap on enviri's Yaris.

robkay
04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
OK, I'm not sure I did it right, but I managed to get the connectors off to inspect them without damaging them. I'm still a little confused, though.

I have a service manual on CD, so I found instructions on page AH-14 -- "AXLE – REAR AXLE HUB AND BEARING" and there it provides the instructions:

DISCONNECT SKID CONTROL SENSOR WIRE (w/ABS)
(a) Using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion and disconnect the skid control sensor wire connector.

NOTICE: Do not remove the connector cover from the connector because the skid control sensor wire may be damaged.

I could not see any "claw" to remove; in fact I don't think there even is one. What I did is I followed CTScott's instruction (I think...) to remove that clip that you can raise up on top of the sensor with a screwdriver. Well, turns out it is sort of a clamshell like cover that surrounds the whole connector. In my photo below you can see that there is a slotted locking clip that snaps onto a little nub; actually there is one on top and on the bottom. To get the cover off you have to raise both clips and work the thing off.

With the cover off I took a screwdriver and gingerly worked the connector off. It did finally kind of pop off. I did not find any broken pins or anything.

Is that what I was supposed to do, CTScott? When concerns me is that the manual says "Do not remove the connector cover." Well, if by "connector cover" they mean that clamshell thing that surrounds the connector, that ship done sailed. I did not damage the wires, though, and managed to get it back on OK after reattaching the connector.

When I had the connector off I checked it for that "claw" they said to remove. I did not find any separate part that I could have removed. That's what confuses me about this whole thing.

CTScott
04-10-2014, 11:55 PM
OK, I'm not sure I did it right, but I managed to get the connectors off to inspect them without damaging them. I'm still a little confused, though.

I have a service manual on CD, so I found instructions on page AH-14 -- "AXLE – REAR AXLE HUB AND BEARING" and there it provides the instructions:

DISCONNECT SKID CONTROL SENSOR WIRE (w/ABS)
(a) Using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion and disconnect the skid control sensor wire connector.

NOTICE: Do not remove the connector cover from the connector because the skid control sensor wire may be damaged.

I could not remove any "claw" to remove; in fact I don't think there even is one. What I did is I followed CTScott's instruction (I think...) to remove that clip that you can raise up on top of the sensor with a screwdriver. Well, turns out it is sort of a clamshell like cover that surrounds the whole connector. You can see that there is a slotted locking clip that snaps onto a little nub; actually there is one on top and on the bottom. To get the cover off you have to raise both clips and work the thing off.

With the cover off I took a screwdriver and gingerly worked the connector off. It did finally kind of snap off. I did not find any broken pins or anything.

Is that what I was supposed to do, CTScott? When concerns me is that the manual says "Do not remove the connector cover." Well, if by "connector cover" they mean that clamshell thing that surrounds the connector, that ship done sailed. I did not damage the wires, though, and managed to get it back on OK after replaced the connector.

When I had the connector off I checked it for that "claw" they said to remove. I did not find any separate part that I could have removed. That's what confuses me about this whole thing.

They show to release the connector while it is inside of the cover. That may be possible to do if you can get into just the right position, but I find it much easier to remove the cover. As long as you are careful with the cover removal you will not hurt the wire.

robkay
04-11-2014, 12:04 AM
So, is that thing they show to pry up in their picture actually a separate piece that you "remove" as they say, or do they mean to just pry it up to release it from a tooth or something? They give you the impression that there is like a clip that you actually pry out and remove. As I said, I looked at the connector carefully and it seemed like it was all one piece to me.

In any case, as you say, it would be pretty tough to get in a position to pry that thing up and pry the connector off at the same time. I agree, it's easier to remove that cover. The wires look delicate, but if you're careful and find any broken I would bet they were already corroded off.

OK, thanks for all your input! (Old subject I know...)

After doing the rear I find that my BRAKE and ABS lights are still on, so I guess I need to check the front now.

CTScott
04-11-2014, 06:46 AM
So, is that thing they show to pry up in their picture actually a separate piece that you "remove" as they say, or do they mean to just pry it up to release it from a tooth or something? They give you the impression that there is like a clip that you actually pry out and remove. As I said, I looked at the connector carefully and it seemed like it was all once piece to me.

In any case, as you say, it would be pretty tough to get in a position to pry that thing up and pry the connector off at the same time. I agree, it's easier to remove that cover. The wires look delicate, but if you're careful and find any broken I would bet they were already corroded off.

OK, thanks for all your input! (Old subject I know...)

After doing the rear I find that my BRAKE and ABS lights are still on, so I guess I need to check the front now.

Using this procedure you can find out which one is actually causing the error:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=547093&postcount=262

limochong
04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Can anyone quote me roughly how much does it cost for parts total to replace both rear skid sensors and 2 sensor wires??
Im in canada but U.S. Prices okay just want to see how much... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"G"
04-15-2014, 10:23 PM
You can't replace just the sensors. Only the wires.

Exiwolfman
04-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Sensor is I'm the hub unfortunately ull need to replace hub bearing to fix sensor and harness

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

"G"
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
The hub bearing replacement only fixes the sensor, not the harness.

limochong
04-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Yup~ i need to replace both hubs and both wire harnesses.
Can anyone provide me with the costs for parts ?? Thanks

derickveliz2
04-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Before selling my Yaris I quoted buying all the necessary parts to fix the ABS / BREAK light issue and the cheapest I could get it was for around $250 but getting some genuine Toyota parts it goes up to around $500

Good luck

D.

limochong
04-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks a lot!

"G"
04-16-2014, 09:16 PM
No, we are not dealers.

Yup~ i need to replace both hubs and both wire harnesses.
Can anyone provide me with the costs for parts ?? Thanks

craigq
05-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Well last cleaned in Nov-2010, the ABS and ((!)) light are on again. Cleaned the connections and the lights are not going out this time.

Bluevitz-rs
05-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Connections are probably broken now. You'd have to check with small cheap sowing needles and a DVOM. Digital volt and ohm meter.

Sent from my iPod Touch

Exiwolfman
05-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Yup that is about right ...had a Yaris in with same problem Saturday will need new hub and harness price around 300$

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

auxmike
05-18-2014, 03:34 PM
That's a darn Shame. When I bought my 08 new I couldn't find one with the abs or the side airbags either. Now I'm glad I don't have it. Abs is pretty useless anyways..

craigq
05-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Connections are probably broken now. You'd have to check with small cheap sowing needles and a DVOM. Digital volt and ohm meter.

Sent from my iPod Touch

Yeah, that'll likely be the next step in the troubleshooting process :frown: Hopefully it's the rear harnesses and not the sensors pressed into the hubs...

Exiwolfman
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah, that'll likely be the next step in the troubleshooting process :frown: Hopefully it's the rear harnesses and not the sensors pressed into the hubs...

if u can scan it ...if it shows both sides , take car for spin after code erased when code comes back see if both or just one ..this will eliminate the good one or one that can wait...main problem is that when u get the light ..code.. u have to replace both ( hub ,harness ) cos its the sensor that is 99% gone :( and that will involve a new hub...sorry.

craigq
06-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Replaced the rear passenger side harness (the rubber boot looked terrible, broken up etc.), that didn't clear it. Disconnected the battery cable, not sure if that's required or not as I can't recall what I did the last time, still didn't help. I then replaced the rear hub w/ABS sensor, disconnected negative battery cable, and that cleared it. Wonder when the driver-side will go :frown:

Don't have a slide hammer so I improvised a pulley-puller by using two 5" bolts and nuts/washers and some spacers to remove the old hub, surprised it worked :redface:

robkay
08-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Just stopping back with an update. In April ('14) I reported that I had removed my sensor cables on the rear, cleaned them and put them back on. (I never did get around to doing the front.) Unfortunately, the BRAKE/ABS indicators did not go out and I just kind of resigned myself to leaving it that way for a while--maybe for good.

Well, about 6 weeks ago the BRAKE/ABS indicators turned off. Not certain the ABS is working again, but they are off. So, for a quick history:

My indicators first came on 12/21/13, but then went off the very next day.
On 1/27/14 they came on again and stayed on.
On 4/10/14 I cleaned the rear connectors, but the indicators stayed on.
Sometime in mid-July 2014 the indicators turned off again.

Weirdness. Hoping they stay off, but not counting on it. Still going to pop the fronts off and clean them before cold weather gets here.

sheekeebut
02-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Digging up this thread. Want to share my experience, which I don't doubt comes from the same problem.

Went to visit the museum last Sunday. Freezing rain, hurrah! Lots of slush and salt downtown as usual. Then, much like all the Torontonians who posted here, I got in the car, started pulling out of the parking garage, and wait, what? An (!) and (ABS) at the same time?

That night, found this thread, took a chance and pulled the rear sensor connectors and blasted the contacts on both ends with CRC MAF sensor cleaner, for lack of other cleaning spray. No dice, errors still stayed on.

Well guess what? Just this morning, like 30 minutes ago, driving down to the office, with error lights on as usual, I was pulling into my parking spot, and, wait, where are those lights? WTF? Just when I was starting to get used to seeing them...

I'm sure I should do those diagnostics per CTScott's info, there must be a dodgy contact somewhere.

robkay
02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
In my case it was exactly the slushy/salty scenario that seemed to trigger the problem. I am happy to say that even though I only did the rear connectors last April, so far, my indicators have not come back on since last July. The ABS has kicked in a couple times, so I know it works. Now, it is probably accurate to say that, this winter, we have not done as much driving in slushy weather as the winter before. Of course, after I cleaned the rears the indicators didn't go out for 3 months. Did my cleaning actually fix the problem, or was it somewhere else and it finally dried out over the Summer? Who knows. In any case, I'm hoping the problem does not resurface as I do not need that expensive repair. If it happens again I'll clean the fronts and if that doesn't fix it I'll probably just live without the ABS.

IllusionX
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM
I was looking at digging up this thread. Mine came on a while ago during the ice storm in January. But it quickly turned off as weather warmed up.

I plugged the TechStream tool and it does show rear left sensor issue. I haven't erased it and ABS is working. But the issue I am having now is the rear right wheel locking up.
I haven't seen the ABS light since then, but I still experience rear right wheel locking up, throwing the car to the left until the rest of the ABS system straightens the car...

Logen9Fingers
03-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Thank you everyone here. You all have helped me fix my dreaded ABS and Brake light issue. Here is what I went through.

Issue:
ABS and Brake light come on and off. It happens randomly with no Rhyme or reason, and would stay on most of the time. The ABS also kicks in when I roll to a stop; it only happens if I am going slow.

Fix:
Removed back 2 wheels (1 at a time). Sprayed cover to speed sensor harness with WD40. Used flat head screw driver to remove the cover. Cleaned cover with WD40. Disconnected harness from speed sensor (used same screwdriver to gently pry it off). Sprayed dielectric spray inside both ends. Reconnected everything.

So happy I did that this weekend before it started snowing again.

trojjanhorse
08-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone

I too own an OBD II bluetooth adapter and like many it did not reveal any fault codes.

I jumped 4&13 and here's the flash pattern i witnessed:

3.3..3.4..3.9..94...repeat

The dots are supposed to be seconds between flashes.

Anyone know what these flash patterns mean?

Thank you.

CTScott
08-16-2015, 09:35 PM
33 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
34 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
39 - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor LH
94 - Control Module Communication Bus OFF

trojjanhorse
08-18-2015, 12:24 AM
33 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
34 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
39 - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor LH
94 - Control Module Communication Bus OFF

Thanks Scott. I opened up the two small harnesses that cage the rear sensors and sprayed contact cleaner. The wires seem fine to me on inspection. I think my problem is a bit more deep seeded. This all happened post rust-proof. Do you have any idea or advise as to what I should do next?

Thank you

CTScott
08-18-2015, 07:03 AM
I would go back to your undercoating people, as it sounds like they coated the rear sensors.

trojjanhorse
08-18-2015, 02:00 PM
I would go back to your undercoating people, as it sounds like they coated the rear sensors.

Hey Scott,

Thanks again for replying so quick. Always appreciate your words of advice. I live in a different city now and visiting the under-coaters is not really an option for me anymore. Would I have to remove the rear wheels and get intimate with the ABS sensors? Is there a guide/manual that shows how to remove the rear sensors? I got the outer shell open but I don't want to tinker with the wires unless I know exactly how to remove the connectors.

Thanks

CTScott
08-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Hey Scott,

Thanks again for replying so quick. Always appreciate your words of advice. I live in a different city now and visiting the under-coaters is not really an option for me anymore. Would I have to remove the rear wheels and get intimate with the ABS sensors? Is there a guide/manual that shows how to remove the rear sensors? I got the outer shell open but I don't want to tinker with the wires unless I know exactly how to remove the connectors.

Thanks

You have to completely remove the rear hubs to get to the sensors and special tools are required to remove the sensor from the hub to get to the business parts.

wes369
01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Hi There,

Yes... Same ABS issue with my 2008 sedan. I have decided to just disable the Bloody ABS and go back to good old pumping the brakes on the ice.

To disable bloody ABS I went to the fuse box beside the battery and removed the fuses. There are two of them. A 50 amp and a 30 amp. ABS1/VSC1 and ABS2/VSC2. The map on the fuse cover will show you there locations.

As far as the bloody annoying lights, i simply used some black electricians tape and masked it over top of the lights. Mickeymouse i know but at least my eye isnt drawn to them anymore. And it doesnt even look half bad really. Feeling less resentful to that those bloddy corporate shills wont stand behind there obviously flawed ABS system. Oh the shame of it all. No surprise to me though.

If I'm feeling less lazy i will pull off that dashboard molding and get behind the bloody thing and pop those bloody lights out too.

Only downside is that the E-Brake light will no longer be visible in case i leave it on by mistake. I get a warning beep when that happens so it is all good on my end.

Hope that is helpful.
Wes

IllusionX
01-13-2016, 09:40 PM
I've had the ABS warning light come on last year. First time after 8 years of abuse. The problem seems to be salt is able to find its way into the connector, and make improper contact with the ABS sensor on the hub. Filled it with dielectric grease and it never came back again.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

LeetViet
01-16-2016, 10:10 AM
My ABS and ! light came on this week. I took it to the dealership to diagnose and they came up with rear left, and front right. I said hold off on the repair (and they wouldn't inspect my rear right for some reason). Picked the car up, and the light has been off. Took it to another mechanic I trust, and he said to drive it as-is until the lights comes on again.

LeetViet
04-02-2016, 12:26 PM
My ABS and ! light have been coming on more often. I took it to a small mechanic I trust to diagnose.

ALL my sensors showed up on the history, which led my mechanic to think it wasn't a sensor problem. The mechanic cleared the codes, and went for a drive. My right rear sensor came on immediately. I'm going to drive it for a week or so, and go back to see if the other sensors will come up again.

"G"
04-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Cars don't fix them selves.

LeetViet
04-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Took the Yaris back to my mechanic. The rear right, and ONLY the rear right, ABS sensor came up on the scan. I'm going to replace the rear right and the harness next Saturday. Hopefully that'll be the end of things.

Chris Jackson
04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Is there a video tutorial on how to do the cleaning and grease trick using WD40 and dielectric grease for the sensors? Or can anyone make one? I'm not very handy or knowledgeable when it comes to cars. But this trick seems to be working for a lot of people having the same problem I am. I've already brought my car to the mechanic twice, first time he replaced the sensor, second time he replaced the bearing. Still no luck, can't afford to keep replacing things if its not going to solve the actual problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tmontague
04-23-2016, 01:57 PM
Is there a reason the mechanic only replaced one sensor? Any of the 4 sensors could cause the issue so replacing one is good, but not if the other 3 are also causing the issue

Chris Jackson
04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
Is there a reason the mechanic only replaced one sensor? Any of the 4 sensors could cause the issue so replacing one is good, but not if the other 3 are also causing the issue

He showed me the old sensor he replaced and I could see it did have some noticeable corrosion. He didn't mention any of the other ones having problems with them. I guess ill have to bring in my car again and have him try to do this clean and grease trick to see if that fixs the problem. Otherwise Ill have to replace more sensors.

z0mb13k1ll
04-23-2016, 02:47 PM
had mine go 4 or so years ago, was told it was $700+ to repair so i pulled off the gauge cluster and covered the lights with electrical tape behind the face. Last year when i replaced my front bearings i noticed a ton of corrosion on the speed sensors.

Really a problem that should have been addressed by Toyota. :(

Edit: never really needed the ABS, just buying some good tires and brakes and my little Yarii can plow through winter like no tomorrow

LeetViet
04-24-2016, 04:10 AM
My ABS and ! light turned off this week with the warmer weather.

Despite that, I went through with replacing my rear right wheel bearing and ABS sensor harness. Cost me about $450. Fingers crossed the issue doesn't return next winter.

Thirty-Nine
06-16-2016, 02:00 PM
My ABS light came on yesterday for about 10 minutes, then it turned off. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

RichardPan
12-02-2016, 01:49 PM
My 07 Yaris Sedan base model experienced ABS light on in February 2014. It was a particularly cold winter. It was out of warranty, and the repair at Canadian Tire cost $1177 CAD. Both rear sensors and their harnesses were replaced. Haven't had problem since.

cerberii
10-04-2017, 12:31 PM
is there anyone with used connectors and hub/bearing assemblies? whats the cheapest prices anyone can find these parts for?

Billiond
11-29-2018, 11:15 PM
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share appreciation for the advice. Had ABS and brake light on this week. 2007 sedan, in Calgary; particularly slushy recently and brakes were still working but no ABS, so this thread sounded like it could be related to the problem.

Per advice I took rear wheels off and checked sensors, sure enough they were absolutely covered in salt. Cleaned and applied some dielectric grease.

Now lights are off, tested brakes on a patch of ice and ABS working fine. Fingers crossed that this is a lasting fix.

Kazimodo
10-15-2019, 03:13 PM
went in today , the little outer shell is easier to remove than trying to
remove everything at once with just jamming a mini screwdriver under the connector
once the outer housing is removed , it is still touchy to get the connector to
come out of the sensor , both sides looked good and the dielectric grease did not
change anything for me , both abs and " ! " lights are on , time will tell if they
continue to go ON and OFF 50 times an hour when driving ,
I've been looking at those warning lights for over 5 years , don't care ,
only thing is once a month the brake pedal goes to the carpet with no stopping
and the grinding feeling typical to ABS brakes .
Back to the drawing board .....

yarisa07hatchi
12-07-2020, 03:22 PM
anyone in sauga/toronto have an 06-08 yaris with cruise. looking for someone to help me install it

naossoan
03-05-2022, 05:19 PM
Does ANYONE know how to COMPLETELY DISABLE the ABS system and clear the codes? I'm talking so the main ECU doesn't even know the car has ABS, so the fault codes don't come up??

I really don't want to fix this expensive problem and already know it is the rear right sensor causing a problem, but my vehicle won't pass inspection with it throwing codes. I already took apart the connector and cleaned it but it didn't fix the problem.

I removed the two ABS / traction fuses from under the hood and tried clearing the codes with a scanner but it doesn't work. It still knows there's an ABS module somehow. I WANT THE CAR TO THINK IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ABS AT ALL SO I CAN PASS INSPECTION.

Thanks

Max527
12-01-2022, 09:22 AM
I'm joining the club. Paid $1000 for a 2007 Yaris with 300,000. I'm at 315,000 now and the infamous ABS and brake lights have come on. After reading this thread, it looks like I don't have to worry much. Bring on Toronto winter lol

bronsin
12-01-2022, 10:53 AM
I think you made a wise purchase! I hope you have a good luck with the car.

The ABS module went out on the Ford F150 I was considering buying a used car lot. I told the guy fix the ABS module And I’ll buy it. He fixed it and it cost $700. So I bought the truck. In New Jersey vehicle without working ABS will not pass inspection.

Of course it’s not necessary. And statistically it doesn’t prevent accidents or injuries or deaths to any measurable degree.

What error codes do you have? Perhaps we can figure out what is wrong with it. It might be an easy fix If you can do the work yourself

Teron
12-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Welcome Max! These are great cars, and I am sure it will work well for you.

I have had the same lights on for 3 years now, and no problems. My biggest problem is the occasional passenger that whines about it and thinks the brake system is going to stop working during the drive. I have been watching this post for a while in hopes that someone will find the cure. But my lights are still on, and the car still drives fine.

Kasbien
01-10-2023, 12:14 AM
2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan with 96,000km.

ABS and E-brake lights came on while visiting the interior of BC where the temperature ranged far into the negatives. Found this thread and performed the DIY fix of contact cleaner + a light coating of dialectic grease. No lights since, and I've been back into some temperatures hovering around freezing in my area and a few highway trips. Thank you contributors for pioneering a solution! I'll likely do this once a year for preventive maintenance.

PS: A spray bottle of water to clean things off before starting is very helpful if your undercarriage is covered in "winter grime." Then use a hair dryer or heat gun after cleaning out the contacts with cleaner to help it evaporate faster (if you're working in cold temperatures like I was).

edlow
02-19-2023, 10:04 AM
2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan with 96,000km.

ABS and E-brake lights came on while visiting the interior of BC where the temperature ranged far into the negatives. Found this thread and performed the DIY fix of contact cleaner + a light coating of dialectic grease. No lights since, and I've been back into some temperatures hovering around freezing in my area and a few highway trips. Thank you contributors for pioneering a solution! I'll likely do this once a year for preventive maintenance.

PS: A spray bottle of water to clean things off before starting is very helpful if your undercarriage is covered in "winter grime." Then use a hair dryer or heat gun after cleaning out the contacts with cleaner to help it evaporate faster (if you're working in cold temperatures like I was).
are you able to share the thread @Kasbien

ps667stop
03-21-2023, 03:17 PM
I have a 2011 5 door yaris. The parking brake, traction control and ABS lights had been occasionally coming on at the same time. Now they have stayed on permanently. I disconnected the cables going from behind the rear seat to the hub on each of the wheels and measured continuity of the cables. Both cables were fine. I tried clean the connectors of the ABS sensor with contact cleaner and nothing changed. Any other tests I could try before randomly ordering parts? :) Thanks for any advice.

ps667stop
03-24-2023, 03:08 PM
I have a 2011 5 door yaris. The parking brake, traction control and ABS lights had been occasionally coming on at the same time. Now they have stayed on permanently. I disconnected the cables going from behind the rear seat to the hub on each of the wheels and measured continuity of the cables. Both cables were fine. I tried clean the connectors of the ABS sensor with contact cleaner and nothing changed. Any other tests I could try before randomly ordering parts? :) Thanks for any advice.

Here is an update... I got two new rear bearing hubs with abs sensor in Ottawa for $115 after taxes for the pair. I replaced the rear right, it seemed to fix the problem, but after about 5km drive the lights came back on. I replaced the left one and have not had an issue since. 7 of the bolts holding the hubs on came off easily, one needed a bit of heat from a propane torch. The new hubs did not come with replacement bolts. The hubs are tricky to remove because of the rust. I watched a YouTube video by Alan Howatt "Toyota Yaris Rear Wheel Bearing Removal...No Problem" and it came off easy following his directions.

pseudomonas
04-19-2023, 10:07 PM
Here is an update... I got two new rear bearing hubs with abs sensor in Ottawa for $115 after taxes for the pair. I replaced the rear right and this fixed the warning light issue. The hubs are tricky to remove because of the rust. I watched a YouTube video by Alan Howatt "Toyota Yaris Rear Wheel Bearing Removal...No Problem" and it came off easy following his directions.
Hello @ps667stop. Where in Ottawa did you manage to find rear bearing hubs with abs for that price? I am from around here too and am dealing with the ABS and (!) light on my dashboard. When I checked the connector attached to the hearing hub, it was squeaky clean. I still tried squirting some electric parts cleaner, but it did not seem to help in any way. Looks like I may have to change the bearing after all. Its a shame because the bearing seems to work just fine. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time. Cheers!

ps667stop
04-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Hello @ps667stop. Where in Ottawa did you manage to find rear bearing hubs with abs for that price? I am from around here too and am dealing with the ABS and (!) light on my dashboard. When I checked the connector attached to the hearing hub, it was squeaky clean. I still tried squirting some electric parts cleaner, but it did not seem to help in any way. Looks like I may have to change the bearing after all. Its a shame because the bearing seems to work just fine. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time. Cheers!

A place called "AutoShack" were selling them out of Ottawa on ebay canada for $98.87 for a pair, plus taxes, free shipping. They have an actual store address at AutoShack 201 Iber Road, Ottawa, Ontario K2S 1E7, Phone (613) 287-3880.

Its written "made in China" on the box, but they looked exactly like the originals. My wheels have not fallen off yet :smile:
Hope this helps.

pseudomonas
04-28-2023, 09:40 AM
Great. Thank you @ps667stop. I will check them out :) cheers.