PDA

View Full Version : What has to be installed at the factory and what can be installed later?

IsLNdbOi
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, I'm no mechanic and I never took shop class so I don't know much about cars except how to drive like a normal person.

I'm still debating on whether to get a liftback Yaris or something else. If I do get a liftback Yaris, these are the options I want:

- meteorite metallic

- automatic transmission

- Power Package

- 4 wheel ABS w/ EBD

- All Weather Guard Package

- Driver & Passenger Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags & Front & Rear Side Curtain Airbags

- VIP Security

- Carpeted Floor & Cargo Mats

- Rear Bumper Protector

- Arm Rest

- Blue Interior Light Kit

- Door Sill Enhancements

- Upgrade 18" TRD 5-Spoke Wheels / Tires

- TRD Sport Muffler

- TRD Shock Absorber Kit

- TRD Lowering Springs

I'd like all of the above, BUT can't afford all of it atm. So which of the above can be added later on by the dealer and which have to be added at the factory?

jmew0ng
08-30-2006, 09:09 PM
If you get your auto with power package, abs, side airbags, and abs, that should work out until you get money for everything else. Typically everything from security and down can be added later by the dealer or by you.

The first 6 can be added later but would cost you a good amount of $$$$$$

(except I dunno what comes in the all weather package.)

Violin
08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Get these from the factory:

- meteorite metallic

- automatic transmission

- Power Package

- 4 wheel ABS w/ EBD

- All Weather Guard Package

- Driver & Passenger Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags & Front & Rear Side Curtain Airbags

All the others are dealer installed and can be added later.

More than likely, if you find a car configured like above, you'll also get the floor mats and armrest, maybe the bumper protector.

Good luck finding the side/curtain airbags though.

IsLNdbOi
08-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm going to configure one on Toyota's site, print that out and bring it to my dealer so they know exactly what I want. I'm going to be stopping by the dealer tomorrow. Is it true that it's easier to get one you want if you're in the western US? I hope so.

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok, I ordered these parts through my dealer and they got here today:

Mudguards (set of 4)
Exhaust Tip
Door Sill Protectors
Sport Pedals (for automatic transmission)
Center Armrest
Rear Bumper Protector

Which of the above is the most difficult to install?

Violin
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
They're all pretty easy.

You'll have to drill a couple of holes in your new car for the mudguards.

Take your time and get the alignment right on the bumper and the door sill protectors - you only get one shot. I find the templates to be more of a hindrance than a help.

If you're uncertain, get the dealer to install. They'll only take an experienced person a few minutes each - they shouldn't really charge you much if anything (doesn't mean they won't try).

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Yikes! They're charging me $65.00 to have the mudguards and exhuast tip installed. They want $33.00 each for the rest of the parts.

Boo
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Yikes! They're charging me $65.00 to have the mudguards and exhuast tip installed. They want $33.00 each for the rest of the parts.

You should DIY, otherwise it won't save you a penny for order anything later.

ChinoCharles
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, the dealer will always kill you on installation. Thats what gearhead friends are for.

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
The only thing I know I can't do myself is the mudguards. Don't have the tools and would probably ruin my car trying to drill holes for the mudguards.

Boo
09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
The only thing I know I can't do myself is the mudguards. Don't have the tools and would probably ruin my car trying to drill holes for the mudguards.

What special tool you need for muguards?
For the holes you can drill it with an electric screw driver and a drill bit.

roadrunner
09-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Mudguards (set of 4)
Exhaust Tip
Door Sill Protectors
Center Armrest
Rear Bumper Protector

If you don't mind...........what did you pay for the items above? :cool:

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Mudguards (set of 4)
Exhaust Tip
Door Sill Protectors
Center Armrest
Rear Bumper Protector

If you don't mind...........what did you pay for the items above? :cool:

I paid $288 for the above quoted. That's without installation of the mudguards which is an extra $65.

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Hmmm... Looks like I'm gonna have to pay to get the Rear Bumper Protector and Door Sill Protectors installed as well. They're telling me that you get one chance to install those and if you get them crooked you can't take them off to adjust them.

Boo
09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmmm... Looks like I'm gonna have to pay to get the Rear Bumper Protector and Door Sill Protectors installed as well. They're telling me that you get one chance to install those and if you get them crooked you can't take them off to adjust them.

What they told you is true. But I think only a 5 years old will crooked the install.
I just want to save you some $$$, if you want dealer to charging you a 5 min. job for 1 hour labor, you are welcome to do so.

IsLNdbOi
09-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I got lucky again. The dealer I bought the parts from wanted to charge me the different amounts as I mentioned above. Reason I wanted to have them install the parts I knew for sure I couldn't install myself (mudguards) was that they were supposedly giving me a discounted price since I bought the parts from them.

So, I went to my original dealer (the one I got the Yaris from) and asked them if they could install the parts. Their service center was backed up so they suggested that I go to their special Toyota collision center about a mile away. Went there and the people installed everything free of charge!

Only thing I haven't "installed" yet is the center armrest. I know it's supposed to just sit in the cupholder behind the parking brake lever. I placed it in there, but it was loose and didn't sit steadily. There are grooves on the side of the armrest that look like they're supposed to lock into corresponding protrusions around the cupholder, but those protrusions are not there.

Violin
09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Good for you. That's the kind of service we Yaris buyers deserve.

There is a screw on the back of the arm rest and two long clips that hook under the seat tracks. Didn't yours come with instructions?

IsLNdbOi
09-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Good for you. That's the kind of service we Yaris buyers deserve.

There is a screw on the back of the arm rest and two long clips that hook under the seat tracks. Didn't yours come with instructions?

That's a negatory on mine coming w/ instructions. Is there a pdf version online? How difficult was it to install the armrest? I noticed that under the little cloth thing inside the cupholder behind the parking brake lever, there is a screw or something.

IsLNdbOi
09-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Never mind. The instructions for it were somehow taped to the back of the packing slip. Installed the arm rest in less than five minutes. ;)