PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... Seems odd that this is missing.

IsLNdbOi
09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Ok, just spent a couple of minutes playing with everything in my new Yaris and am kinda very tiny bit disappointed that there is not even an indicator on the instrument panel or even next to the shift lever showing what you're on (R, D, 3D, N, P). Is this normal?

pennystocks
09-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Umm, you sure? On my sedan there is the p r n d 3 2 1 on the shifter and on the instrument panel which lights up to show which gear.

IsLNdbOi
09-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I have the liftback and the instrument panel doesn't show which gear I'm on. I have an automatic if that makes a difference.

Violin
09-01-2006, 05:46 AM
The liftback has the indicator.- It's located under your spare tire.

Toyota engineers had a little competition to see who could come up with novel placements for various gauges. The gear indicator team beat the speedo team hands down.

IsLNdbOi
09-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Ok, so is the automatic liftback really supposed to not have a gear indicator in the instrument panel or even a light next to the shift lever / stick, that shows what gear I'm on? I mean I know it's just an automatic 4 speed, but even my brother's 2005 Corolla has a little red light that shows through a window that's between the gear letters and the gear stick.

Chris07LB
09-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Liftback = NO shift indicator.
Sedan = YES, to a shift indicator.

Ryu
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
That is weird, personally I have an automatic 5 Door liftback here in Vancouver Canada, and it got those gear indicator P,R,D,1,2,3 next to the shifter.

Chris07LB
09-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Next to shifter = YES
Gauge cluster = NO

Original poster has a US Spec Yaris, so he should at least have that. Can't comment on what CAN Yaris have or dont have.

riceboy
09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
ummm.. you don't have a shift indicator in your cluster, but you managed to get side curtain air bags??

Chris07LB
09-01-2006, 10:11 AM
ummm.. you don't have a shift indicator in your cluster, but you managed to get side curtain air bags??

Who? The original poster has a US Spec Liftback. Unless i'm missing something, I didnt read anything about side air bags, nor have I ever seen a Liftback come with the gear's displayed in the gauge cluster. :confused:

What am I missing here? :confused:

riceboy
09-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Sorry buds.. check the link....

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610

Chris07LB
09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe he needs to re-check by the shifter then... sounds too weird only HIS would come without the gear indicators at the housing.

IsLNdbOi
09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Of course mine has the gear indicators next to the shifter. They are lit up in the dark, BUT the shifter is black and I can't see it in the dark so it's hard to tell what gear I'm on. The indicators are lit up, but that's it. Whichever gear I'm on does not light up any brighter or do anything to indicate that it is the gear I'm on.

There are no letters / indicator in my instrument panel either.

Violin
09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
That's how mine is and it's a minor annoyance.

I'm thinking of adding a couple of LEDs down there to provide better visibility.

07WYarisRS
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
you don't need an indicator light...
that's why it has that funky shift patteren, like a 4 speed/5 speed up from 4th is neutral
you don't find shift indicator lights on amanual transmission because it has a pattern.

3rd and 4th are in the same spot to the left is 3rd and 4th is to the right.
slap it to the left and pull it down for 2nd.

The shifting is fail safe. Once you get it out of park shift past reverce into neutral drive is strait down and stops. You can't go into any lower gears unless you move the shifter to the left and zig zag it around past third into 2nd.

IsLNdbOi
09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Mine is automatic, but it does have that funky pattern / track for the shift lever. It's not a straight up / down motion like normal automatics. It kinda zigzags.

riceboy
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
ah yes the ol' gated shifter in the yaris trick...

johnnyfive
09-01-2006, 09:25 PM
the gated shifter is exactly like any other automtic shifter on the floor...except instead of pushing a button to shift, you push it to the right(left)

have to push a button on any oth shifter to go from park to reverse, or reverse to neutral, but not neutral to drive, but then again to get lower gears, just like the gated...

ohh, i think the tach team did better than the shift indicator team, in the hide the guages contest :)

Violin
09-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah - to see that one you have to lie on a creeper - a real pain when the car is moving.